Tikka T3 hunter bipod

Zego

Can anyone recommend me some quality bipods for shooting when lying on the ground? Also I read online that many times point of impact is not the same as shooting with sandbags if you use bipod, is this true?

Thanks

It depends on a few things, the hunter is normally free floating. Being wood it could warp or change shape meaning after a while it might not be free floating. Resting the rifle far up front on a bipod or sandbag will transfer the pressure one to one onto the barrel if it is not free floating. Also depends a bit on where the barrel touches the stock. If your barrel is free floating then one should check if it is still free floating when bipod is mounted and one is in the shooting position. Once the forend is free floating in all shooting positions, with or without a bipod one should see very little if any POI difference between bag or bipod.

edi

It depends on a few things, the hunter is normally free floating. Being wood it could warp or change shape meaning after a while it might not be free floating. Resting the rifle far up front on a bipod or sandbag will transfer the pressure one to one onto the barrel if it is not free floating. Also depends a bit on where the barrel touches the stock. If your barrel is free floating then one should check if it is still free floating when bipod is mounted and one is in the shooting position. Once the forend is free floating in all shooting positions, with or without a bipod one should see very little if any POI difference between bag or bipod.

edi

I had just that problem a few months ago. Thought I'd sanded out enough for clearance, but clearly not for all conditions!

Zego, edi's point that a true free floating barrel should not be affected(how could it be?) is probably the key here.

However,shooting from a rested (bag) position may encourage a somewhat different technique (even relatively free recoil management) that won't apply with any bipod. Here, many apply some lean onto the bipod (usually refered to as 'loading' it ),but bipods vary (as do users) and any inconsistency of technique could result in shot displacement-though it should not be excessive.

Atlas is the more adaptable option,at a price; a (swivel) Harris is a very acceptable alternative,for most less extreme users. There are alternatives,and several fixed bipods,but those two are good choices for a fold flat bipod,for most users.

The current "Accurate Shooter' daily bulletin site has an article on 'Bipod Basics' which may help on technique(s) for best bipod use.

gbal

Can anyone recommend me some quality bipods for shooting when lying on the ground? Also I read online that many times point of impact is not the same as shooting with sandbags if you use bipod, is this true?

Thanks

Point of impact changes as you change the config of the rifle. I had at one point a good example of a target I shot from 4 distinct positions and each set of shots had a distinct point of impact. NB: this is shooting with a stalking rifle, not an F Class or FTR rifle. My rifles weigh in at 6kg when I shoot them.

I've chased around bipods a lot over the years and used Versapod, B-Square, Sinclair Varmint, Sinclair wide, Harris very low, medium and high. At the minute I'm with Harris bipods. I haven't tried Atlas bipods yet, but they do get good press.

Once you have a good load for your rifle, you will see variations in POI as you change from prone elbows, to prone bipod, to sitting bipod, sitting sticks and standing with 4 sticks.

I never shoot with sandbags as I don't stalk with sandbags.

Regards

JCS

JCS,good points....would it be useful to the OP to indicate the general size of POI changes-I don't recall that they were substantial,maybe 1 moa max,so manageable,but I only shoot off pretty substantial "sandbags" (Farley,Seb,Remple),these days-rather than the Harris designs-with heavier than stalking rifles,and it's not an issue.

g

The beauty of a Harris is that you can shoot without thinking. The Atlas needs "loading" to work best. By this I mean leaning into the shot. This has to be consistent. One day you will forget to do it...... ;)

The beauty of a Harris is that you can shoot without thinking. The Atlas needs "loading" to work best. By this I mean leaning into the shot. This has to be consistent. One day you will forget to do it...... ;)

Says the man who shot the Diggle Fly record on an Atlas with sedative .338 Lapua Magnum...

Yes thats true Dave.

However, I was sometimes forgetting to "load " it and boy did it make a difference.

I have just bought a lovely AW338 and shot it initially off a Rigby. Wouldn,t shoot for sh1t.

I knew the rifle was right, so popped on a Harris.

Instant bugholer with same loads. :D

Archived