Sako TRG 22, should i buy ??

I'm considering the option of selling my .243 & .308 Sako 75 varminters and replacing them with a TRG 22 .. (.308 )

I'd keep my Tikka T3 (.223) for foxing and buy a TRG for dedicated paper punching.

Any of you lads have a TRG 22 ? Would it be a good move in your opinion lads? My 75 . 308 already prints sub 1/2" MOA at 100 yds. What could i expect from a TRG ?

I hardly ever use my .243 now, my T3 wins me in house comps out to 300 yds and a .308 is better at bucking wind for 600 yards and beyond paper punching than a .243 win surely??

Your thoughts would be appreciated chaps...

I'm considering the option of selling my .243 & .308 Sako 75 varminters and replacing them with a TRG 22 .. (.308 )

I'd keep my Tikka T3 (.223) for foxing and buy a TRG for dedicated paper punching.

Any of you lads have a TRG 22 ? Would it be a good move in your opinion lads? My 75 . 308 already prints sub 1/2" MOA at 100 yds. What could i expect from a TRG ?

I hardly ever use my .243 now, my T3 wins me in house comps out to 300 yds and a .308 is better at bucking wind for 600 yards and beyond paper punching than a .243 win surely??

Mine shoots sub 1/2" with 168g A-MAX, its a stonking rifle, I know quite a few guys with them and they love them because they are so accurate. :rolleyes:

A friends got one its a great range gun but not a carry gun and as Kaleiderscope says it loves 168gn Amax.

Would be an excellent choice if you have acsess to military ETR ranges.

Cheers

Dave

.308 is better at bucking wind for 600 yards and beyond paper punching than a .243 win surely??

Not sure that is true, I suppose it depends on bullet weight. I would have to look at the charts unless somebody can clarify this i.e. if a 243 is using heavy for calibre bullets with high BC's?

Fancied a Trg myself but not a carry about thing as already said.

How much are you hoping to achieve more than what you have now?

Not sure that is true, I suppose it depends on bullet weight. I would have to look at the charts unless somebody can clarify this i.e. if a 243 is using heavy for calibre bullets with high BC's?

Fancied a Trg myself but not a carry about thing as already said.

How much are you hoping to achieve more than what you have now?

It appears the 6.5s are the king at the moment and they really do buck the wind, better than the 308 anyway. But the 308 has and always will have a place on the range, its easy to load and the bullet choice is huge.

If its a TRG you want Grant I dont think you will go wrong, when im at the range I would say there is maybe 10 TRGs on a good meet day there. It copes well at 600 although as ive said there other calibres that better it.

Thanks for your opinions chaps.. If the TRG was avail in 6.5 - 55 Swedish i wouldn't hesitate..

Yes i realise it's not a field gun but i would only use it for "F" class anyway...

I guess if there is little to be gained in accuracy terms compared to my 75 i might as well hang on to the old girl and just restock it to glean a little more accuracy from it..Think i prefer the tactical style Robertson stock to the macmillan offerings.. The unused .243 75 ( twist too slow for long heavy bullets) could part fund a PM II ..... :rolleyes: to slap on top instead of the tactical Opti-mate it has on there at the moment..

Decisions, decisions... :blink:

No question TRG`s are a goog gun, plod here use them - I get to see about 80 on the range at a time - no real complaints and accuracy is good enough with factory fodder to win anything here - I would guess on average 1/2 moa or under by some of the better shooters.

I`ve had a TRG 21, I prefered the grip angle to the 22. Also the TRG 41 was made in 6.5x55.

Downsides - expensive Sako accessories, the brake is excellent, good bipodod and you'll get stung for mags. If you are going for the full kit I would cost out a second hand AI AW / AWP, it has some advantages - easier barrrel change and off the shelf barrels in 260 rem and 7-08....and the stock dont brake. Worth pricing up a TRG with folding stock (I think they look sexy with the 20" barrel - but then its not really an F Class stick).

TRG advantages - much better trigger for comps (compared to an AI) - sucks for tactical though. Have a look on Gun Trader - second hand seem cheap.

The thing to stress is "feel". The TRG 22 / 42 feels like I`m holding a breeze block - the AI feels like holding a sexy wench...........some people say it`s he oposite way around............try before you buy.

More complaints and send backs from S&B scopes (standard issue on TRG`s) than TRG problems here.

David.

If you are going for the full kit I would cost out a second hand AI AW / AWP, it has some advantages - easier barrrel change and off the shelf barrels in 260 rem and 7-08....and the stock dont brake.

The thing to stress is "feel". The TRG 22 / 42 feels like I`m holding a breeze block - the AI feels like holding a sexy wench...........some people say it`s he oposite way around............try before you buy.

..Outstanding advice!

My tuppence:

Externally, even the green /phosphate TRG models rust as easily as sporting rifles.

243 with a 115gr VLD going fast will waay outperform 308 in the wind....in wind terms it'll keep up with 338 Lapua performance.

..Outstanding advice!

My tuppence:

Externally, even the green /phosphate TRG models rust as easily as sporting rifles.

243 with a 115gr VLD going fast will waay outperform 308 in the wind....in wind terms it'll keep up with 338 Lapua performance.

Rust isnt an issue really, there are good coatings on the market now which eliminate weather problems.

243 and 115 VLD or D-TAC are very good. :rolleyes:

A friend recently bought a TRG22 and having developed a couple of loads he is delighted with it and his targets are excellent. I would also say there is no comparison between the 75 varmint good as it is and the design and quality of the TRG22 , but every one is right, if you want a dual purpose rifle to occasionally hunt with it would not be my choice, for the extra money you can improve ( fancy up :D ) your 308 varmint to get you into the really good groups.

You know better scope , bedding job etc etc.

Redfox

Streeker,

If you want to shoot a TRG to try it I am at Oundle pretty regulary and I will happily meet you there and you can try mine - it would not be too long a drive from Luton.

As mentioned above it is easily sub .5 with either 167 or 155 Scenars and about 1 MOA with RG but you would not want to carry it far :D

TC

I,m with Ian on this one. There is a real simple , easy route to a fully competitive "f " class .308.

Savage.

Get one of stuarts [osprey rifles] match recievers, and a bolt on match grade .308 around 30" long, and you will have a gun, including a correct stock, for around £1200 new, that will piss allover a trg, and an AI/AW, accuracy wise.They really are that good. Vince did a good series of articles on building one up, not long ago. I regularly see on of the diggle lads use one in 6.5x.284, and it beats every other factory gun, every time.The .308 is no different.

The TRG, and AW etc, are fine rifles, but they werent built for "f" class, they were/are built for the police/squaddie, to throw in the back of a landrover, take some very hard knocks, and still hold zero, which they do admirably.They are designed to cycle virtually any ammo available, so dont have match spec chambers.Accuracy is always good, but they aren,t match rifles.

you dont need a mag fed gun for f class either.Horses for courses mate.

Archived