sako 85 varmint 243

anyone got the above rifle.would like your opinions good or bad

It's a sako! it's a 243! Can't really go wrong. Your not going to get better off the shelf than a Sako IMO

Pritty much what i was thinking ,had a look at one yesterday and didn't really do much for me to be honest. just going to look at a steyr ssg 69 just a little bit different to make it interesting

Normally wouldn't recommend any Steyr but the SSG has always been the exception to the rule.I've had a couple and they're hellishly accurate even with factory ammo.I've also never heard of any that didn't shoot.The downside is the crap plastic stock and it really needs replacing with something like a McMillan Adjustable which will set you back another £600-700

A Sako is ready to go out of the box,feels quality and if you ever did come to sell it is a lot more marketable

anyone got the above rifle.would like your opinions good or bad

I had a Sako 75 varmint in 243 as per my avatar. I don't own it any more and I wouldn't buy another Sako. Too limiting in a number of areas including choice of stocks, triggers and can be tricky to bed. Finally, rifles using proprietary mounts are a pain the rear. Picatinny adaptors can now be sourced for Sako 75/85, but why don't they come with Picatinny as standard?

Regards

JCS

thanks for the replies .all sorted now had a look at the steyr nice action really slick but that plastic trigger/mag housing put me off.had my 22 Br bore scoped while i was there and turns out barrel is on it way out so that pritty much made up my mind what to do.interestingly while i was there i spotted two sako 85 barrels that had been taken off because of excessive copper fowling where they are fluted before the flutes and after they are fine.smith seems to think they were fluted too deep with too much force and its has damaged the bore

Hi pork , your 22br What's the round count in that barrel & barrel make please ? Are you going to have it rebarreled ? Did you try any tmks thru it too ? Sorry for questions , 22br not many shoot and have pondered 1 many times ... Atb

hi buddy,round count in the region of 2000 mostly 53 gr vmax but did shoot 69 hr smk very well 10 twist Walther.to be fair i could probably run it for another year but decided to pull it and have a sassen barrel in 243 put on.its a great round and i will be running one again

Good to hear youll be using the br again , will you go fast 8 twist ? For the vlds , im sure that would be a darn fine crow/fox basher , cheers pc

I've got the SS varminter 20", in 243 with a laminated stock. I changed the stock for a GRS and NOW it's perfect. Very very accurate from the box. With Factory ammo turned in groups (3 shot I know. I know), of 0.228" and the best was 0.209" @ 100m. Best group to date 0.218" c to c with Vmax hand loads.

Rifle is a well built, quality rifle for the money AND it shoots well out of the box. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers. J.

Archived