22.250 and N160

auquhollie

sure is mate,the right way and the wrong way and by trying to force a 6.5x55 into a 22.250 bolts face is just wrong Iam afraid for just one reason alone which I have stated "case alignment"

When Remington made their Model 700 BDL "Classic" in 1995 it was built on a long action with a 308 boltface.

There is enough clearance in a standard 308 boltface to enable it to function 100% with the .480"rim diametre of the 6.5x55, anyway most case rim diameters are at the bottom range of the tolerence specifications for that case.

I have re-barrelled a 270 to 6.5x55 with no mods to the boltface at all and the extraction and ejection are flawless.

Ian.

Is there anyone that uses N160 in there 22.250 ?. If so what is it like ?.

Looking at the book it says 41 grains MAX powder. I tried loading one up at that and it comes right to the top of the case mouth. Needless to say i wont be needing to load them up ;)

Ads

Ads

I hope the "discussion" has answered your question, despite the side issues - :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, some of us answered about their own 22-250's rather than the "standard" 22-250 Remington. I trust my reply didnt cause you confusion or cause you to use an incorrect load in your own rifle.

Hopefully comment will now be restricted to 22-250 Remington loads from now on.

I also do believe you cannot get a section 5 expending bullet in 224 for varmin/game above 55 gr so there s another issue

Funky, my 22-250 with 1in14 shoots quite well with 60gr Hornady soft points. Loaded with 35gr Varget.

Speer also have a 70gr soft point.

Vit 160 wouldn't be my first choice.

edi

Is there anyone that uses N160 in there 22.250 ?. If so what is it like ?.

Looking at the book it says 41 grains MAX powder. I tried loading one up at that and it comes right to the top of the case mouth. Needless to say i wont be needing to load them up :rolleyes:

Ads

FB

please read the opening post from Ads.

Nowhere does it mention the 22-250 in question being standard, what twist barrel the question is aimed at, or what bullet weight is likely to be used.

There are more than a few people using 22-250's with non standard (i.e. faster than 1-14") twists these days and just as many using improved chamberings.

The question in the initial post has been answered by people with standard and non standard 22-250 rifles - the "heavy bullet" brigade are not uncommon at all in fact heavy for calibre bullets have been used for over ten years both here and in the states so one must apreciate that with a generalised question you will get a broad spectrum of answers.

You have given your view that the powder in question isnt suitable, others have said it is and given specifics of when and where the powder is applicable in the "22-250"

There may be no right or wrong answers to an ambiguous question, it is up to Ads to decide which bits are relevant to his question and which is not.

Archived