22.250 and N160

auquhollie

Is there anyone that uses N160 in there 22.250 ?. If so what is it like ?.

Looking at the book it says 41 grains MAX powder. I tried loading one up at that and it comes right to the top of the case mouth. Needless to say i wont be needing to load them up :blink:

Ads

Northernchris uses Vit 160 in his current 22-250 AI loads but also used it in his standard 22-250 loads together with 69grn SMKs it had devastating results on charlie or anything else that was unfortunate enough to be hit by one.

Hopefully he will be able to enlighten you when he comes online.

Ian.

Interesting post Ags

I have a 22-250 but the AI version and use 75g bullets exclusively for most things and have done since the rifle was built maybe 6 years ago now.

My fireforming load is a 60g bullet, under 41g of H4831SC - this, as you rightly say just about fills the case and the seated bullet is well and truly crushed into the powder. (bullet is seated 20 thou into lands) This gives excellent fireforming by the way and 1/2" groups at 100.

I use Sierra 60g SMP for stalking Roe with this rifle in Scotland (pre legislation change) and the accurate load for this is 41g of Vit 160 again excellent groups and no pressure sign.

The "standard" load for the 75g bullet is 39.5g of RL22 - which I hasten to add is several powders SLOWER than Vit 160.

I have also an alternative load of 38.5g of Vit 160 with the same 75g bullet but that is neither as quick or accurate "just 3/4 inch at 100 instead of sub half minute with the RL powder.

I wouldnt advokate using either Vit 160 or RL 22 in a non AI 22-250, but there are most definately benefits to be had using slower powder in the improved version.

All loads are pretty safe in my rifle and (if this counts for anything) the guy who built the rifle for me (Peter Jackson) used these bullets and powder comb in his own 22-250AI that was phenomenally accurate at the time I commissioned him to do my own AI.

If you have the Sierra 1V reload manual Vit 160 isnt mentioned untill 80g bullets - bear in mind you need a non standard twist rate for anything more than 63g bullets in this calibre.

So in a roundabout way, the answer is no but could be yes in certain circumstances :D

The majority of 22-250s have a 1-14 twist rate and were designed for 50 - 55 gr bullets, they will rarely stabilise bullets over 55 gr properly.

I have had one for over 10yrs and found both speer 52gr hollow points and 55 gr Vmax gave outstanding accuracy. I use Fed 210m primers and either 35.5grs varget or 36.5 grs H380, with the bullet seated .025" off the rifling, these were arrived at after loads of testing.

When I am on form these will group into 1/4" at 100yds easily and sometimes better, depends on me really and velocity is in the 3600+ range

The rifle is a Rem VSSF with 26" fluted barrel, Shilen Trigger, and has been skim bedded, with currently a Swaro 6-24x50 scope sat in Bushnell signiature rings ( same as Sako Optilock ) on Leupold bases.

Redfox

Funky,

In my previous post i mentioned 69grn SMKs (heavier bullet???) and if you would care to check Vihtavouri's own data you will see that there is indeed load info for Vit 160 and the 69grn SMK.

If i remember correctly Chris was using the Max load of 41grns in his Steyr before re-barrelling to Ackley spec, a hot load but no pressure problems.

Ian.

Guys,

Really appreciate all the info. Before i checked this post i loaded up a dozen rounds with 40 gr of n160 and 2 rounds at 38grs & 39grs.

I seated the 55 v max out touching the lands. When i fired off the rounds i checked and got no signs of pressure at all. However the 5 shot group i did do with the 40grs i was grouping at 6" or so :lol: .

The load data i have to hand lists 41 gr of N160 MAX for a 55 grain tip.

Might just tot of and buy a tub of varget. :rolleyes:

Ads

redfox i like the sound of your gun the vssf is what i have it is just amazing even out of the box

auquhollie

will pick up a tub of varget for you tomorrow night when i am up at mak fieldsports

34.5 grains varget under a 55 vmax pushes along at 3535 fps not the hotests of loads

but bloody acurate you should know after what we shot on monday night

all the best bruxie

Guest northernchris

Funky

Only 4 years with a 250,i av only had been messing with them on and off for the last 20 so i better read up :rolleyes::lol:

Serously though i had no pressure probs in the .22-250 AI even @ 44.8 gr of N160 :lol: The presure i was talking about was with the factory Weatherby rounds i had been running in the newly built .257 Weatherby Mag i had just been to proof with on Monday morning.Larance the main man @ Brum proof house comented on how "stout" the factory ammo was compared to the proof loads,the proof loads did not show ANY pressure signs at all yet the FACTORY fodder was tight on bolt lift,VERY flattened primers etc etc

auquhollie (ads) have a wee lookie here :o

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?s...amp;#entry26708

Funky

Only 4 years with a 250,i av only had been messing with them on and off for the last 20 so i better read up :lol::lol:

Seriously though i had no pressure probs in the .22-250 AI even @ 44.8 gr of N160 :o The presure i was talking about was with the factory Weatherby rounds i had been running in the newly built .257 Weatherby Mag i had just been to proof with on Monday morning.Larance the main man @ Brum proof house comented on how "stout" the factory ammo was compared to the proof loads,the proof loads did not show ANY pressure signs at all yet the FACTORY fodder was tight on bolt lift,VERY flattened primers etc etc

auquhollie (ads) have a wee lookie here :D

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?s...amp;#entry26708

whats a .257 weatherby mag got to do with any thing??? after 20 years messing you would have thought you would know the difference :rolleyes: all so i would be very surprised if factory ammo has more than 20% more powder in there cases over maximum speck.

as thats what the proof house use. maybe you should call weatherby and tell them they are making there ammo wrong.

Seriously though vargit 36 g will do the job.

ATB

Colin :D

Chris, those comments from the birmingham proof house dont suprise me at all. I,ve always seriously doubted they actually know what they are talking about. :rolleyes:

Here,s a tip for those of you who insist on using them....take your own cleaning gear down to do them there, dont for God,s sake, let them dissapear to clean it with their stuff....Vince B tells me, its horrific.

Guest northernchris

Pete

i have had various calibres over the last 21 years,no big deal!! I asked out of interest what loads you ran,the thing I KNOW IS YOU ARE NEVER TO OLD TO LEARN something i do every day!!!!!!!!!!!!! But then you being the oracal

on ALL things guns i will bow to your better more informed knowledge.

Col whats your problem ???? It wasnt me who confused the conversation!!!

So have you seen and shot this supplyed Weartherby .257 Wet Mag no thought not.

This factory stuff is very hot,to the point i will pull the heads and reduce the load a small pecentage,at nearly £2.50 a pop it isnt like this is cheap tat also you wouldnt expect this from the ACTUAL manufacture who are Norma :lol:

Dave i have seen them 1st hand doing what they do :rolleyes:

I agree. Guys step away from the handbag stall and pick your dummy's up for #### sake :rolleyes:;):P

Yeah the 22,250 is a nice cal, its only really a donar for the 6.5-55 when i get round to it. Just thought ide have a slice of fun with the 22 before it gets the chop.

Ads ;)

I thought the 6.5x55 was a 308 bolt face based on a short action ?. I know the 6.5 x 284 is a long action. Now im concerned !!!.

Ads

Guest northernchris

Ads

6.5 x 284 will function fine in a short action aslong as the COL isnt to long (been throated for 139gr-142gr bullets)

The 6.5 x 55 IS a long action only so there is no way that it would run i a short action set up.Regarding bolt faces compareing .22-250 and 6.5 x 55 they WILL function fine even though the 6.5 x 55 head is 6-8 thou bigger.

Going back to N160,i ran 41gr behind 69gr pills last year on a 1-12 twist barrel with stunning results AND NO PRESSURE SIGNS and its also listed in the Vit data.

Guest northernchris

6.5x284 will run in short action if COL isnt excessive,regarding 6.5x55 not fitting .22-250 shell holder that is down to rim recess NOT head dia.

Guest northernchris

Regarding running slow powders if we all thought the same way we would still be useing ram rods to load our sticks.

You could always alter the 22.250 to a .260Rem with no bolt alterations but a short action may limit you to the lighter pills, they are perfectly good for anything deer wise we have here so I am told.

A

6.5x47 is one of the cases i was looking at so might have to dig deeper on this one.

Cheers again chaps.

Ads

Oh and P.S stay away from the handbag stalls :rolleyes:

This thread has come a lot further then i thought it would do, looked like t was going to stop when Ads said he was going to buy a tub of Varget.

Ads,

The reason that your accuracy was $hite is because you did not put enough Vit 160 in your case.

A good example of this principle is the 357 magnum case, loaded with a 148grn WC bullet and 2.8grns of FAST Bullseye powder is a proven paper punching load of about 700fps

Charge the same case with 15grns of 2400 or H110 under a 125grn JHP bullet and you get a full power load nudging 1350fps with equal accuracy.

Charge the case with 15grns of Bullseye and you will end up with a gun in pieces and severe, possible fatal injuries.

The same principle applies to rifle cartridges and in the 22-250 light charges of slow powder will not give the same accuracy as light charges of faster powders.

Ian.

Archived