New 6.5x47 from Baldie

Got my "budget build" from Dave a few weeks ago, and had my first real range day with it on Saturday. Lovely day weather wise and not too shabby rifle wise either. These are the first 3 5 shot groups out of the rifle at 200m. The fliers on the first and second were the 5th shot in each string, just going to show my lack of composure and not the rifles accuracy! By the third target my concentration and trigger technique were beginning to wane! Thanks for another corker Dave!

IMAG1599_21_zpspvrcapzs.jpg

PS The black diamond in the middle is 1/3" on a side.

Hi Pork Chop,

there was a variable light wind from about 10 o'clock and it would be nice to blame it, but I'm pretty sure it was pilot error! Just got a bit excited as I saw 2, then 3 then 4 shots in the one hole at 200m then muffed the 5th shot on both, pushed one and pulled the other :wacko: By the third group I pushed the first and pulled the last, need some coaching about what's going on I think.

Trucraft, pics and spec

IMAG15671_zpsyvonxfxr.jpg

Baldie's Thor Action

24" 1:8.5 Border Archer barrel, Remington Varmint profile.(about .001 head space. Fired brass 1.4645" to shoulder)

AICS 1.5 with a new set of Viperskins

Atlas bipod

March 5-40x56 FX ( The dogs danglers!!!!)

American Rifles M10 Rings

Ase Utra Jetz compact .25"( very quiet!)

123 Amax

2.100" to ogive

37.5grn Varget

Rem 7.5 primer

Dave said the Archer barrel liked the Amax's and he wasn't wrong!

gun nut i think you would be supprised how little wind will have an effect on your groups at 200,even so new rifle that's still good shooting.i got some 123 amax to try the other week but not got round to it yet

Gbal,

I have to admit I've never shot this well at 200m before, but then again I never had the tools for it, all my other rifles are stalking rifles/ varmint hunting rigs. The March scope for sure played a major role, I was able to pick where inside the 1/3" centre circle I placed the centre dot of my reticle with ease. I may never repeat those groups(without the spoilers) again, but it'll be me not the rifle! I'm still getting comfortable with the stock and it's one reason for the loose ones, we'll see.

Mike

Hi Big Al

I varied between 25x and 40x most of the day depending on mirage, but I think I was at 40x when I shot these groups. When I bought the scope off Gary I said I doubted I'd ever use the 40x to shoot, only to spot and score, but its amazing how quick you get used to the high mag! Cracking scope and after my wallet has recovered from the shock I'll still have the scope :)

Mike

Thats very interesting Mike.

I also like high mag and have considered getting a 10-50x60 Sightron as an upgrade for my 6-24x50 for the longer ranges or for more precision. I know people shoot out to 600yds with 12-15x but I just dont feel I can be that precise with such low mag. Would you say 40x at 200yds gives you more or less wobble as 24x would at 100yds?

More for sure Al, you need a good steady position to use it, I wouldn't use it off sticks! You can see your pulse in the sight picture and have to break your shot as the dot rides over your poa. Of course your pulse is having the same effect no matter the mag, it's just at 40x you can see what it's doing and compensate for it.

Mike

Gun nut ,found a pic of a five shot group i shot last month .was shot at 250 in a l to r wind,if i remember correctly it was a 2 to 4 mph shot as fast as i could settle the cross hairs but as you can see the vertical is good but the wind still opened the group out .must say i was surprised how much effect the slight wind had.only see myself as an average shot so i was very happy with the group

WP_20150512_003.jpg

Good stuff Mike.

The one major improvement you can make is to change out that trigger. Despite being tuned and sweet, its no jewel.

That would help no end.

Sell a small child/kidney/arse....delete as applicable.... :lol:

Wind effects-here's some dope:

260Rem 125 g @ 2875 200 zero,10 mph wind drop/drift inches......200y 0/3 400y 20/12

Commercial ammo-none for 6.5x47 but it is very close to 260 rem loaded equivalently for pressure.

Given that wind reading error is hard to keep below 2mph,the consequent horizontal could be over half an inch at 200y-that of course is doubled-right or left,depending on the wind estimate-high or low.

gbal

You hit the nail on the head Dave, I was ringing you today to see if you could shed any light on inconsistency in the trigger I have. On Saturday I thought I was getting a heavier pull on some shots than others, but then you think to yourself, "nah it's just my imagination" but when I put the trigger gauge on it after cleaning the rifle Sunday I as getting 1.5lb most of the time but the odd one wasn't breaking till nearly 2lbs. Gonna reset the overtravel and sear engagement again and see if I can get it any more consistant. If not I don't have a small child, I like having a spare kidney (just in case) and nobody would want my arse so I'll settle for a Calven Elite,assuming I can get one :)

Good shooting Pork Chop, you'd be deadly on ground hogs, if we ever get invaded we know who to call :D

Gbal, the first target was a cold bore guess at elevation with zero wind allowance, the 2nd and 3rd had -.75moa wind and elevation adjusted to + 1.25moa (I'd guesstimated 1.5moa to start with) so I was aware of the wind but having said that it was variable and I suppose the pushed shots in groups 1 and 3 may have just been a let off in wind that i missed but I definitely called the pulled shot in group 2, just got too excited, bless my little cotton socks :lol:

Mike

The calvin elite is an excellent trigger Mike.

Problem is getting one. I have a dozen on back order now, and have been for ages.

They are in at Brownells UK, but a little stiff....

Thanks Rammer,

all good with you? I should have taken my own advice about not looking at a group till you're finished shooting :lol:

Mike

Archived