Autosol in the bore, carbon removal

Offroad Gary

Anyone used autosol to shift baked on carbon? Is it too abrasive compared to gun specific products??

Any advice based on real world experience appreciated.

Thanks

This might answer your question Gary. My full bore rifle with a Krieger barrel (before I gave it to my son) only ever had the following treatment: Shot moly'd 155s out of it and cleaned it exclusively with Autosol. Used a worn .270 brush and wrapped it with cloth then slathered on Autosol. Gave the bore about half a dozen passes, repeated that then wiped out with a clean rag. Done.

The rifle was always very accurate and in fact won a 1000yd team shoot against allcomers at the Nationals when it would have had at least 3000 rounds down the bore. Borescoping at roughly that point showed no rounding over of the land edges which we were surprised at. My son inherited it at over 5000 documented rounds and I still have a pic of group I shot with it then that was under 1/2" for 5 shots. It finally gave up the ghost at about 5700 rounds.

So I think on the basis of this, you'd have to conclude that Autosol def isn't an aggressive abrasive.

Thanks for that, but is it aggressive enough to shift or scratch the surface of "glass like" carbon to let the chemicals in to do the work?

I really like KG Bore Polish - it's like a grey sludge. Apply it with a tight fitting patch and work the bore vigorously.

Very good for rejuvenating tired barrels. Fox Firearms have it in stock.

So it's like the old Remington Bore Cleaner?

KG1 & 2 for me, KG1 removes the carbon, KG2 polishes the bore. got mine from UKGunworks. I discovered it at a Viking Arms demo day so most shops with accounts should be able to order it in.

KG1 contains No Ammonia.

I use kg12 which is a combination of both these. Very good cleaning product to be fair. Few patches run down the barrel then finish off with lightly oiled patch of double t spray oil.

Kg12 is nothing like Kg2. KG12 is a yellow liquid designed to remove copper (and a great job it does at that too). KG2 is more like a gray paste which is mildly abrasive and is designed to be used on a clean barrel to condition the bore. At lead that's what Joe Fazio (KG designer and owner) some years back...

Best wishes

Finman

Archived