.223 23.5" 1/9" twist loads.

527vamint

I'm homloading for the 223 and have run out of 52g amax heads and Hodgdon bl-c (2) and can't get any loca, I was also finding that my barrel was very dirty after being onbthe range. So basically I would like to change powder and heads.

Currently I'm using n140 in the 308 and would like to use it in the 223. So using n140 and a 23.5" barrel in 1/9"twist what's going to be best heads to go for and on the shelves. Would like a medium to heavy bullet 55g plus in weight. Shooting 100-300m. Cheers Andy

Andy,there are no heads,but lots of bullets,and even expanding missiles. Do you/can you use the latter?

You should find Vihtavuori powder very satisfactory. The heavier bullets come into their own as distance increases,you could try 69 Sierra Match KIngs,or 69 g Lapua Scenars meanwhile,generally available and well respected. An awful lot of the 40-55-60 g are varmint expanding designs-fine,if you have that option and application.

gbal

I used to use blc2 and 52 amax through a cz527. Couldn't get hold of the amax so switched to 60 grain berger flat base over 23. 5 grains of aa2015/lovex so60. The best groups I have ever had out of any rifle. I use lovex powders now in a few calibers and I rate it highly. Good price/availability as well.

Drum.

OK thanks. copper jacketed,plastic tip,lead projectiles with a boat tail. I tried some 69g matchkings and some 68g hornady match also with blc2 and had no joy.

Well,not quite.See the admonishments elsewhere about 'roses by other names' smelling off.

The important point (sic) was whether your ticket (sic) allowed the expanders.

(hollow point,plastic tip,copper jacket,boat tail,lead... etc don't distinguish exp missiles from 'target' designed ones).

If those bullets didn't work,it might well have been the powder just didn't suit them-the right vihtavuori should work.......there are other bullets- but quite restricted if you can't use 'expanding missiles'-the 'ticket' descriptor.hence asked whether you could/not purchase exp missiles....

g

Well,not quite.See the admonishments elsewhere about 'roses by other names' smelling off.

The important point (sic) was whether your ticket (sic) allowed the expanders.

(hollow point,plastic tip,copper jacket,boat tail,lead... etc don't distinguish exp missiles from 'target' designed ones).

If those bullets didn't work,it might well have been the powder just didn't suit them-the right vihtavuori should work.......there are other bullets- but quite restricted if you can't use 'expanding missiles'-the 'ticket' descriptor.hence asked whether you could/not purchase exp missiles....

g

Sorry I was sarcastic, yes I have expanding on my ticket. The hornady Amax52g homelads, vmax55g factow and tap 60g factory work in my rifle. I will see what I can get hold of to try out with the n140. I would like heavier bullet heads to better my chances in the wind.

Andy ,no problems- it's just easier to advise if better informed.

Have a read of Accurate Shooter 223 site-though US oriented/biased esp wrt powder-Vihtavuori is not fully considered,but is there.

But most of the other components are-minus perhaps,some of the European which are nor really available in US.

1 in 9 is probably very marginal for 75 g,but you are right-the heavier will give much better performance at longer range-but accuracy has to be there too.

Anyhow,it's pretty much all there.You should find something available and satisfactory.

gbal

Andy ,no problems- it's just easier to advise if better informed.

Have a read of Accurate Shooter 223 site-though US oriented/biased esp wrt powder-Vihtavuori is not fully considered,but is there.

But most of the other components are-minus perhaps,some of the European which are nor really available in US.

1 in 9 is probably very marginal for 75 g,but you are right-the heavier will give much better performance at longer range-but accuracy has to be there too.

Anyhow,it's pretty much all there.You should find something available and satisfactory.

gbal

Thanks for the info I will have a look.

I used to use blc2 and 52 amax through a cz527. Couldn't get hold of the amax so switched to 60 grain berger flat base over 23. 5 grains of aa2015/lovex so60. The best groups I have ever had out of any rifle. I use lovex powders now in a few calibers and I rate it highly. Good price/availability as well.

Drum.

Thanks will bear it in mind if I find some Amax.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out earlier that Sierra are doing a 69 grain tipped match king in .224.Bc was about 340 from memory .

Just found out earlier that Sierra are doing a 69 grain tipped match king in .224.Bc was about 340 from memory .

I am using these bullets at the minute. They are extremely accurate. I use them for paper and vermin. They hit very hard indeed. I use 25.9 grains of h335 loaded at 2.360 with cci 400 brass with lapua match brass neck turned and trimmed and crimped.these bullets produce groups under half moa at 600 yards and 0.160 inch groups for 5 shots at 100 yards. They are a very good bullet.

Great news murph , thats in 223 ? I used that h335 in my 223 ackley , its quite fast burning , i stopped at 23.5 from memory as i had pressure signs shooting 75 Amax . But thats really good performance thru your gun , what rifle is it ?

527 varmint these bullets may work but knowing that you said the other 69 grainers didn't im not too sure , technically they should be good in a 9 twist . But your choice buddy .

Atb tim .

Great news murph , thats in 223 ? I used that h335 in my 223 ackley , its quite fast burning , i stopped at 23.5 from memory as i had pressure signs shooting 75 Amax . But thats really good performance thru your gun , what rifle is it ?

527 varmint these bullets may work but knowing that you said the other 69 grainers didn't im not too sure , technically they should be good in a 9 twist . But your choice buddy .

Atb tim .

Yes mate that's in 223. I used h4895 for a long time but couldn't get more a few weeks back,so I changed to h 335. My load with h4895 was 25.7 grains which was excellent aswell. The rifle I use is a blaser lrs2 with a 1-9 twist barrel. I actually use hornady 75gr bthp,s aswell , although these are near the limits for stability in my gun.

OK thanks. copper jacketed,plastic tip,lead projectiles with a boat tail. I tried some 69g matchkings and some 68g hornady match also with blc2 and had no joy.

I used blc2 and found it couldn't get the speed I wanted out of my loads- it's a fantastic powder for 222. I'm using h335 at the minute and find it to be a very good powder for the heavies. What oal did you use for the 69s? Also found the hornady 68 gr bthps wouldn't stabilise in my rifle- they are very long. In fact they are longer than the 75gr version which I found strange. They have a very long ogive if memory serves me right. Also h335 meters really well too.it looks for all intent and purposes identical to blc2.

I used blc2 and found it couldn't get the speed I wanted out of my loads- it's a fantastic powder for 222. I'm using h335 at the minute and find it to be a very good powder for the heavies. What oal did you use for the 69s? Also found the hornady 68 gr bthps wouldn't stabilise in my rifle- they are very long. In fact they are longer than the 75gr version which I found strange. They have a very long ogive if memory serves me right. Also h335 meters really well too.it looks for all intent and purposes identical to blc2.

I loaded all my rounds at sammi specs at medium book speeds.

Still struggling with bullet heads and powder. Managed to get hold of some 60g vmax going to try them with 22grains of n140. My local stockists don't have much in the way of reloading supplies.

Still struggling with bullet heads and powder. Managed to get hold of some 60g vmax going to try them with 22grains of n140. My local stockists don't have much in the way of reloading supplies.

I can run faster than that combination will be

I can run faster than that combination will be

no, it's W748

Everyone I know that shoots 75's & 77's etc with N140 is using around 24-24.5, so I'd be happy to start at 24.5-25 and go from there, but you really might want a faster powder with that bullet

Archived