Powder Weight or Volume

Brillo

When changing batches of powder I've always used the same weight for a particular load/calibre because I've always found the variation between batches to be very small.

I've been using RS 52 in my 308 for a while now ever since it first appeared as EI130 and I've now started on my first tub packaged by Reload Swiss. Up to this point there has been no variation in thrown volume to weight ratio.

However, this new tub is completely different. The volume that used to give me 47.6 grains now measure a little over 47.8 grains. So, obviously I now need to redevelop my current load to confirm the optimum charge weight. This wouldn't normally be a problem but I have a comp this coming Sunday and don't have time to do it.

What do others do in this situation? Go with the thrown volume and the higher charge weight or stick with the original charge weight regardless of volume?

and humidity can affect apparent density it seems.

Go by weight and as long as it's the same batch within a shooting session, no issue

The point is it isn't the same batch and the measurements of each batch were taken within minutes of each other and checked several times. So there is definitely a difference in density between batches.

Archived