Bullet 'Heads'

brown dog

Guest rogern
I THINK YOUR ALL OFF YOUR ####### HEADS PS DOSE HEAD SPACE REALLY MEAN BULLET SPACE OR AM I TALKING SHITE :)

bullet1.jpg Heres a head that needs an asprin :)

Now then Mr Wireviz, I'm not sure if you are talking shite or not and I'm not sure if this is a windup but here goes, this is the definition of headspace, it is a VERY important factor in making live rounds, get it wrong and the result could be awesome :wub:

Headspace: (An explanation from Wikipedia)

In firearms terms, the headspace is the distance measured from the part of the chamber that stops forward motion of the cartridge (the datum line) to the face of the bolt. Headspace refers to the mechanism by which the correct positioning is achieved. Different cartridges have their datum lines in different positions in relation to the cartridge. For example, 5.56 NATO ammunition headspaces off the shoulder of the cartridge, whereas .303 British headspaces off the rim of the cartridge.

If the headspace is too short, ammunition that is in specification may not chamber correctly. If headspace is too large, the cartridge case may rupture, possibly damaging the firearm and or possibly injuring the shooter.

Isnt it funny how one word can set off a lively topic <_<

Brown dog said "What do I ask for in a gun shop? I soon learnt not to ask for 'bullets'.....It'd invariably initiate a painful conversation with shopkeepers that starts with a reply such as 'Do you mean heads or loaded cartridges?' "

He's right. Iv'e lost count of how many times RFD's have asked me that same question.. If they cant get it right...... :D

I, too, am unhappy about the term "heads" when referring to bullets. Here is an example of confusion caused by incorrect nomenclature.

Some months ago I visited a well known gunshop to stock up on bullets for my 223. I was standing right next to the place where the boxes of bullets are kept. I asked for 500 Hornady .224 55gr VMax bullets- clear enough, I thought. The fellow behind the counter disappeared into the back of the shop and returned with a stack of boxes - of loaded centrefire ammo. I said, "Bullets". "Yes, these are bullets". "No those are rifle cartridges -ammunition, I asked for bullets. They're in this case right beside me". "No, these are bullets" and so an argument started, despite me having the support of another customer who was also a handloader. The guy behind the counter eventually said "Oh, you mean heads". "No, I said bullets", precipitating another argument. No amount of persuasion from several customers could convince this chap. If the fella behind the counter in a gunshop doesn't know what he's talking about, God help us. I eventually got my bullets and left in the hope that the chap behind the counter was a little wiser.

However, it is my opinion that particularly in the case of handloading and rifle related matters we should all use the same nomenclature in order to avoid confusion. What you don't need is confusion with 50 to 70,000 psi just a few inches in front of your face!.

WRT headspace and it's definition , an old and greatly missed deer stalker friend who had handloaded for very many years once said to me "The best definition of headspace is: 'If you don't get it right, there's likely to be a space where your head was'".

Such a trivial topic as this I am surprised it has received so many responses? I thought the original intention was to just wind people up :D

If the other person understands what you mean then the name given to anything is irrelevant really, surely.

As a matter of interest I checked the entries on my licence.

6 entries from more than one shop stated heads (Bullets ;) )

This was under the ammunition entry which by your definition is a cartridge :D

Looking at the headings on my ticket I can't buy bullets (heads or whatever you want to call them) can you?

If we are being anally technical I can only buy ammunition! How can we homeload then?

I will have to ask my FEO for authorisation to buy bullets?

What a pointless and pedantic pile of crap. ;)

Next time I go in a shop then would this be 100% technically correct and in keeping with my licence wording.

"Excuse me shopkeeper have you got some 50 grain missiles?" ;)

I stopped reading this thread at the beginning of the second page at to be honest i dont care what they're called, hard enough for me to get hold of components let alone argu about the correct terminology! however a point i wanted to make is that:

Bullets are known as "MISSILES- EXPANDING OR NON EXPANDING" Thats what they're classes as on my ticket and as that peice of paper allows me to buy and hold them, its word if final, no more questions asked!!

Still gonna ask for bullet heads tho! I think some of you guys need to get out on the range and let out some pent up aggression by punchin holes through paper!

Most people when buying bullets will just ask for the make, type, caliber and weight. Thats it.

Personally shotgun ammo are cartridges, assembled rifle ammo are bullets or live rounds and heads are what we buy to assemble the bullets/live rounds. If I am am wrong then so be it.

A

Archived