Anyone had a PCP Air Rifle converted to FAC Air?

Jamie

Hi folks,

I currently own a few air rifles, The one being a pcp Air Arms S410 in .22 cal, which I've had for 3-4 years now. I bought it used, and it's in very good nick for it's age, and is very accurate. I'm not sure how old it is, or if it makes any difference to the conversion or not, but I was told by the seller, that it was the "Non anti-tamper" type, if that's the right wording??

I'm considering having it converted to fac if that's possible, and, or cost effective...

I'd be happy with around 24 ft/lbs, but 30-35 would be nice. Shot count isn't too big an issue as I can't walk far, so the dive bottle would be in the truck nearby.

My reasons for this are varied, but mainly just to bridge the gap from 12ft/lb's to the nearest most accurate in my .22lr, being around 90 ft/lb's. I've tried various low power subs with poor results. Although i'll ask for further info on other brands of very low power 22lr ammo in another thread....

I've been made aware that once on fac, there is no going back, which is fine by me if this is true.

I know you can get fac S410's but the claims of what ft/lb's you can achieve seem to conflict and vary widely. As I already have a nice air rifle, I'm reluctant to sell it just to buy another used model in fac, which may be a duffer. I don't want to commit to adding more funds for a new fac air rifle due to another planned centre fire purchase in the near future. Albeit, that would obviously depend on the cost of any potential conversion.

Some constructive advice or thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks.

Jamie

I had my FX Cyclone converted to FAC a long while ago, it was all done by Ben Taylor when he was still trading, very easy process once you have an available slot on your FAC, I just dropped it off and picked it up a week later.

Mine runs at 28ft/lbs which gives me about 40 full power regulated shots, but every rifle is different and I am not familiar with your particular one so it pains me say it but the AirgunBBS is the place for this sort of info.

You will notice the extra power which will allow longer range shots but only you can decide if it is worth while doing, as you have already noted it is a one way trip, it will devalue your rifle and make it much harder to sell as well. I think mine is great but I really don't use it all that much and when I do it is mostly around barns etc when i could probably get away with a standard model.

I had my FX Cyclone converted to FAC a long while ago, it was all done by Ben Taylor when he was still trading, very easy process once you have an available slot on your FAC, I just dropped it off and picked it up a week later.

Mine runs at 28ft/lbs which gives me about 40 full power regulated shots, but every rifle is different and I am not familiar with your particular one so it pains me say it but the AirgunBBS is the place for this sort of info.

You will notice the extra power which will allow longer range shots but only you can decide if it is worth while doing, as you have already noted it is a one way trip, it will devalue your rifle and make it much harder to sell as well. I think mine is great but I really don't use it all that much and when I do it is mostly around barns etc when i could probably get away with a standard model.

Thanks for the reply Anthony. The purpose would be as you've stated, mainly around barns.

I'll have a look at BBS..

What sort of cost do you think I'll be looking at, approximately?

Cheers.

Jamie

Thanks for the reply Anthony. The purpose would be as you've stated, mainly around barns.

I'll have a look at BBS..

What sort of cost do you think I'll be looking at, approximately?

Cheers.

Jamie

Sorry Jamie but I really can't remember, it was over 8 years ago!!.

I see no reason why it should be particularly expensive though, it's apparently not all that hard to do.

Give this chap a ring.

I was pondering upgrading an S200 to FAC and he talked me out of it; doesn't get much more honest than that.

When we chatted, he clearly knew what he was talking about.

http://xtxair.com/services-price-list.php

Thanks BD, will do.

Jamie

I had my original Daystate Huntsman uprated to FAC (50ftlbs with Eley .22 bullets, not pellets) by Daystate many years ago. At the time I didn't have a .22LR and it seemed to make sense.

However, once I got. .22LR the Daystate was virtually redundant; I regretted doing the conversion. I've since done my own mods to drop power to 26ftlbs but it still sees little use. I bought an AA S400F to fulfil my sub 12ftlb niche. The FAC air has a limited role, though.

I had my original Daystate Huntsman uprated to FAC (50ftlbs with Eley .22 bullets, not pellets) by Daystate many years ago. At the time I didn't have a .22LR and it seemed to make sense.

However, once I got. .22LR the Daystate was virtually redundant; I regretted doing the conversion. I've since done my own mods to drop power to 26ftlbs but it still sees little use. I bought an AA S400F to fulfil my sub 12ftlb niche. The FAC air has a limited role, though.

What do you mean BBMan? Am I right in thinking you removed rimfire bullet heads and used them in you fac air rifle? If so, did they group ok?

I'd be happy if I could find an accurate low power .22lr round, somewhere around the 40-45 ft/lb mark.

I've tried a couple, CCI longs, and shorts, but both grouped badly, (3"at 25 yards). I've been given a few CCI Quiets, so I'll give them a go. I've had them a while, so I may have already tried them. My memories terrible.... :(

3" at 25yds?! Blimey, that's poor!

The .22 FACair ammo were sold to me by Daystate as "Eley bullet heads" (much to my annoyance!) They aren't the same as a .22LR bullet- shorter and lighter, if I remember rightly.

3" at 25yds?! Blimey, that's poor!

The .22 FACair ammo were sold to me by Daystate as "Eley bullet heads" (much to my annoyance!) They aren't the same as a .22LR bullet- shorter and lighter, if I remember rightly.

I've had a couple of pm's concerning my, '3" at 25yds' statement. Just to clarify, that was with low fps CCI CB Longs and CCI CB Shorts. The 45ft/lb (ish) ammo. My normal Rem or Win .22 Subsonics give me sub 1" every shot at 50 yards. And a lot of the time around 1/2" group.

I'm after 20 or so CCI Quiets 710fps, in either round head and segments to try out, but my local RFD will only sell me them in a brick of 500 as "They're not popular"...

Jamie

FAC air guns are usually considerably cheaper than sub 12 ft/lbs guns to buy for a like for like model ,theoben rapids are a good choice as when there on ticket you can alter power to whatever you want very easily in case you ever wanted to drop power to shoot ferals or rats etc in barns .just my opinion but definetky gives you more options

• 3 weeks later...

hi

I was shown how to rebuild my BSA Superten by the guy who designed it, mr Bowkett ,

as the Cigar unit to the untrained is so baffling , i have now tuned the rifle to absolute max , custom hammerspring

custom springs for the cigar unit , i had a superwide transfer port made , form the cigar unit to the barrel,

2,2 now only getting 60shots per buddy bottle , its way beyond the standard FAC set at 37ft lbs,

i have tried shooting targets at well over 100yards and get no pellet, drop,

and after shooting a rabbit at 50+ yards with a chest shot (stone dead ) after skinning it, i discovered the pellet had gone straight through and there was an exit wound

one problem did crop up i have had to remove the moderator as i couldnt zero the gun at all the pellets were going everywhere even after widening it, ok when removed , but a tad loud and i get a crack, on each shot,

hi

I was shown how to rebuild my BSA Superten by the guy who designed it, mr Bowkett ,

as the Cigar unit to the untrained is so baffling , i have now tuned the rifle to absolute max , custom hammerspring

custom springs for the cigar unit , i had a superwide transfer port made , form the cigar unit to the barrel,

2,2 now only getting 60shots per buddy bottle , its way beyond the standard FAC set at 37ft lbs,

i have tried shooting targets at well over 100yards and get no pellet, drop,

and after shooting a rabbit at 50+ yards with a chest shot (stone dead ) after skinning it, i discovered the pellet had gone straight through and there was an exit wound

one problem did crop up i have had to remove the moderator as i couldnt zero the gun at all the pellets were going everywhere even after widening it, ok when removed , but a tad loud and i get a crack, on each shot,

Aren't you intrigued to know what ft/lbs it is now? I am! Is there a chronograph you could lay your hands on? Go on, you know you want to! :D

Guest Stacka

Iv got a Daystate MK4, IT was FAC tuned by daystate. But the good thing is it has a electronic system with two power settings.

Hi Power 30ft/lb

Low Power 16ft/lb

My go to for pigeons, squirrels, and a spot of ratting

Aren't you intrigued to know what ft/lbs it is now? I am! Is there a chronograph you could lay your hands on? Go on, you know you want to! :D

so am i ! but i might scare myself to death! (other air rifle forums have ridiculed me) as they aint got the knonhow or the skill to repair or modify a pcp ,

anthing goes wrong takie it back to the shop.. i use accupells found to be the best with accuracy/consitent /

any one else have a very high powered 2,,2 pcp ?

so am i ! but i might scare myself to death! (other air rifle forums have ridiculed me) as they aint got the knonhow or the skill to repair or modify a pcp ,

anthing goes wrong takie it back to the shop.. i use accupells found to be the best with accuracy/consitent /

any one else have a very high powered 2,,2 pcp ?

I'm surprised the accupell's don't distort under such energy!

With regards to being ridiculed, If you know your stuff like you say, then there should be no worries. As I've found out myself, there are some very strange people on forums! Not so much with UKV, a great bunch on here! :)

Get it Chronographed!

Jamie

Archived