Sako A11 308 Stalker

Ronin

I get asked to do a variety of interesting projects, this is one I loved doing.

It started out as a "well used" Sako A11 in 243, the barrel was shot out and the stock was frankly peppered with dings.

A chap asked me if I could make him a classic stalker on a limited budget, and I had this in a cabinet waiting for a refurb.

The rifle is pretty much standard, apart from the Lothar Walther chromoly barrel which was profiled in the Sako Hunter pattern.

308 Win, SAAMI spec min dimensions and 1-10 twist tube, threaded M14x1 with protective cap.

The action has been totally stripped, all parts that needed replacing have been, the trigger has also been stripped and given a work over (now breaks at 1.5lbs), as has the bolt (which has had new slide small parts fitted)

The stock is pillar bedded and has been stripped and re finished, while doing so I removed all but the worst scrapes and dings, theres a couple I simply couldn't do anything with, though it is to be a working rifle, and will inevitably get knocked again.

All the metalwork has been re blacked after high gloss polish.

I like the end result, the photo's simply do not do it justice.

DSCN4301_zps839df61a.jpg

DSCN4302_zps4b89c3bf.jpg

DSCN4303_zps6ccd3cd9.jpg

DSCN4304_zps4ff13bac.jpg

DSCN4305_zps936337ce.jpg

DSCN4306_zps1fdcb5ee.jpg

DSCN4307_zps5df1915d.jpg

DSCN4308_zpsc7b0321c.jpg

DSCN4310_zps7b44b19a.jpg

DSCN4311_zps2cbf497c.jpg

DSCN4313_zps4ea7e270.jpg

DSCN4314_zps81a31c89.jpg

DSCN4315_zps03f64127.jpg

Not a safe queen, but a tool to kill deer, I hope the new owner gets as much enjoyment out of it as I did making it.

:)

Very nice Andy nice to see a PROPER rifle for a change!

"What-apart from classic good looks,carryability,reliability,accuracy,longeivity ,value for affordable money, sheer fitness for purpose and the approval of experienced rifle users,have Sako ever done for stalkers?"

gbal

"What-apart from classic good looks,carryability,reliability,accuracy,longeivity ,value for affordable money, sheer fitness for purpose and the approval of experienced rifle users,have Sako ever done for stalkers?"

gbal

well, they also founded Tikka! :) Well said sir!

I just saw this in the flesh about an hr half ago, and it was a lovely classic rifle. Very well done as always mate. I said its a nice piece of real wood!!! When I saw it slide from it sleeve. There was a little chuckle between us both but as you said I could tell you enjoyed working in it.

well, they also founded Tikka! :) Well said sir!

Beggin' your pardon, ooman, but we're not so sure they did. Didn't both Tikka and Sakko originate from different but related arsenal workshops of the Finnish Army and Border Guards? They eventually got privatised we think, and Sakko then took over Tikka thereafter ?

Awesome rifle nonetheless....

Beggin' your pardon, ooman, but we're not so sure they did. Didn't both Tikka and Sakko originate from different but related arsenal workshops of the Finnish Army and Border Guards? They eventually got privatised we think, and Sakko then took over Tikka thereafter ?

Awesome rifle nonetheless....

and then Beretta bought Sako ........

Very nice job by Ronin, my sort of rifle but perhaps the blued finish could have been matte?

and then Beretta bought Sako ........

Very nice job by Ronin, my sort of rifle but perhaps the blued finish could have been matte?

Not in keeping with the original and not what the customer wanted.

The high gloss black is pretty hardwearing…..to a point

Archived