LEM Case Cleaner

walkabout

I like clean brass, but not enough to spend knocking on £400 for the privilege! :o

Wrong ! :D

I have one here and will be stocking them after trying mine today.

Forget all the ball ache associated with other tumblers...this one does away with it.

IMG_2639_zpscfc9322e.jpg

basically a fairly heavy unit with a plastic bucket on the top.

Simply add water, cases and fairly liquid/lemishine if you wish. Add what is a relatively small amount of very small and thin media needles and switch on.

IMG_2640_zps802b9072.jpg

The motor starts and basically swirls the cases anticlockwise at a fair old rate of knots. Mine doesn't have the speed control as it added a fair bit to the cost, and i've found it unecessary.

A couple of hundred cases would have taken 2-3 hours in my old machine. This did them in 15 minutes !

I chucked some scabby old 9mm in the thing and here was the result after 10 minutes.

IMG_2643_zps2a027589.jpg

IMG_2644_zps05e01083.jpg

The clever bit is yet to come however.

There is a steel plate supplied with four very powerful magnets at each corner. When you have done tumbling, you slide it under the bucket and swish the cases round inside by hand. The magnets grab the pins and you can then simply tip out the brass. I did,t swirl enough on the first go and had a few pins drop in the sink. If you swirl properly though, the magnets get them all.

IMG_2642_zpsc86ece86.jpg

IMG_2641_zps750552be.jpg

This will save hours of faff and is well worth the price tag in saved hours for me.

The last word in stainless tumblers.

Did you not read the last post or look at the pictures ?

The magnets remove the pins. They are far smaller than the normal type.

Believe me, I have a knackered AR chamber due to stuck pins....this is not something I say lightly. This machine removes the pins....end of. I went through every case today and no sign of any pins inside one of them. I can't say that about normal s/s pins.

Its not difficult to turn the oven on low for an hour. I tend to throw mine in the Cerakote oven after I take a job out. It would not be difficult to do that at home.

I like clean brass. My chambers like clean brass. T' only thing wi a mucky neck...is me..... :lol:

Cleanliness is next to Godliness...... :D

I read this bit...

"I did't swirl enough on the first go and had a few pins drop in the sink."

It just doesn't seem foolproof especially with bottle necked cases that offer more places for the pins to hide.

Plus 30 mins in this plus an hour in the oven doesn't really save time over an hour in treated corn cob which is what I currently do.

Each to their own though.

Yep, on the first go, i admit I was getting used to it, but once you know, its pretty foolproof.

Those magnets are unbelievably strong. I'd attempt to write what type they are, but it would end badly.... :lol:

With the corncob, don't you have to poke it out of the flash holes ? Thats what made me switch initially.

Funny thing case cleaning, it really polarises people. They are usually in one camp or the other. It doesn't matter, providing you are happy with your chosen method. :)

What I hoped the little review did, was show what an improvement this machine is over the Thumblers tumblers, which were the first systems here.

I would also add that I bought both these systems with my own money, not the shop's and this is how I test all products I sell. if I won't use it personally, I won't sell it to a customer.

I tumble before decapping so no stuck corn cob. Corn cob doesn't clean the primer pockets anyway so I'd be giving them a quick turn with a pocket cleaner regardless.

I can see that the super cleanliness this system gives would be of benefit to many but I'm not yet at a level of skill where brass condition will make any difference on target. I may change my mind in future though.

To be honest, I doubt it makes much difference accuracy wise. The only thing I can think of is that spotless brass will all have a much more uniform case capacity, where as dirty brass won't be as consistent.

There are a great many BR shooters who have never cleaned a case in their lives though....dirty buggers..... :D Their guns shoot ok.

In a bolt gun, it won't make much difference, apart from neck tension variables maybe.

I use it because virtually all of my competition these days is with an AR15. These babies like clean cases both for feeding and extraction.

If you want to run some sort of comparison Mr C, send me 50 sized and decapped cases and I'll clean them for you. You could run your own test then ? :)

Dave

The convenience of the magnets picking up the pins is obvious but I don't understand how it operates so much faster than the Thumblers Tumbler ?

It goes round a lot faster Dave, and I would guess it has something to do with the magnets holding the pins somewhat as everything is moving. The speed it turns the water black has to be seen to be believed. The cases are well on their way after 5 minutes.

An interesting development but a few observations re above comments...

1 Is speed of operation critical to most? I turn on my SS tumbler and come back later...no great effort.

2 I let my cases dry overnight upended in a wire bread cooling rack...no need for ovens.

3 How strong / durable is that container...looks like ordinary plastic.

I really like working with clean cases...SS media for me!

I suppose we all have our methods in cleaning brass, and as has been said, "each to their own". But the price is just way over the top. It's just another company profiteering out of "reloaders" striving for perfection.

A friend of mine uses a wet steel pin tumbler for cleaning coins found while metal detecting. The difference in the cost of the machine was vast. (I don't recall the actual cost) Granted it wasn't as big as a brass tumbler, but it depends how much brass you use. I don't mind spending money on quality items, what I don't like, are companies taking the P"""!

Jamie

I love this 'whining Pom' attitude towards items perceived as being to expensive from the 'I can do it for ten bob brigade'. Really? Brilliant! Design, develop, manufacture and supply these items for ten bob and we'll all buy them! Oh and don't forget to come up with a genuinely new idea that everyone's going to copy or under mine once you come to market with your product.

Companies, whether sole traders or huge plc's need profit. It's not a dirty word. It allows me for example to buy better kit to provide a better quality of work. It allows me to buy from local suppliers and hence provide further employment.

The principle is simple. Nothing is too expensive provided you make good use of it. I have kit in my workshop that you could buy a new Range Rover for. It's worth more to me that a £5 tool that I only use once a year.

If the item is too expensive for you, fine, move along and buy something else but remember cheap is only ever one thing....cheap.

Rant over.

I love this 'whining Pom' attitude towards items perceived as being to expensive from the 'I can do it for ten bob brigade'. Really? Brilliant! Design, develop, manufacture and supply these items for ten bob and we'll all buy them! Oh and don't forget to come up with a genuinely new idea that everyone's going to copy or under mine once you come to market with your product.

Companies, whether sole traders or huge plc's need profit. It's not a dirty word. It allows me for example to buy better kit to provide a better quality of work. It allows me to buy from local suppliers and hence provide further employment.

The principle is simple. Nothing is too expensive provided you make good use of it. I have kit in my workshop that you could buy a new Range Rover for. It's worth more to me that a £5 tool that I only use once a year.

If the item is too expensive for you, fine, move along and buy something else but remember cheap is only ever one thing....cheap.

Rant over.

We all have our own opinions, and I gave mine. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant.

Did I say, or even imply that I prefer to spend "ten bob"? Also, I have no problem with companies making profit, it's the amount of profit SOME greedy companies like to make.

As for the "too expensive for you" comment, I'll treat that with the contempt it deserves....

Mildly offensive and childish "rants" like this are pointless and serve no purpose, other than to cause bad feeling. I'd expect posts like yours, on forums like PW, but I like to think UKV is better than that. In fact, thankfully, UKV IS way better than that...

Jamie

I suppose we all have our methods in cleaning brass, and as has been said, "each to their own". But the price is just way over the top. It's just another company profiteering out of "reloaders" striving for perfection.

A friend of mine uses a wet steel pin tumbler for cleaning coins found while metal detecting. The difference in the cost of the machine was vast. (I don't recall the actual cost) Granted it wasn't as big as a brass tumbler, but it depends how much brass you use. I don't mind spending money on quality items, what I don't like, are companies taking the P"""!

Jamie

Jamie,

Accuse me of contempt and pointless rants if you wish to try and divert attention away from your post quoted above.

You are however correct, UKV is the place for polite online conversation, I merely expressed my opinion and you have obviously taken offence. You should however note my post was polite and without vulgar terminology. Each to their own.

To me that does look a bit pricey.

Surely if manufacturers came in with fairer more down to earth pricing they would sell more and still get their return and achieve economy of scale,at the same time making it not worth others trying to out price them.

How much should we have to pay for a motor in a box and a plastic bucket.

Just my thought,having not seen one in the flesh though.

Bryan.

Thats why its more expensive. Its not a cobbled together motor with and elastic band, its a large motor which drives some very powerful magnets round and round.

The plastic bucket is genius.....if it wears out it can be replaced with anything similar for pennies.

Have a look at one, preferably working, and I think most people would change their minds instantly. It is a far better mousetrap.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my T tumbler is rusting up pretty good so might well consider the LEM.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me just say that I can get these machines as well. They'll be around the £345 mark for the basic model. And yes, I can also get the intermediate model and the super deluxe one if needed :-)

Jon

Archived