One for Jay

baldie

Here's Jay's freshly rebarrelled/rebuilt gun.

IMG_2634_zpse056ffb6.jpg

It came in as a tired .223 and the brief was a quality barrel which would allow heavier bullets to be used.

I fitted it with a Pacnor super match grade 1 in 7" twist, and chambered it in .223 Wylde. Screwcut it for a Jet-Z mod, and invisible capped it. 11 Degree crown.

IMG_2637_zps20514d2c.jpg

The bolt has been barley twist fluted, and also fitted with a tactical bolt knob.

IMG_2635_zpse3c1a56c.jpg

Fitted back into his old reliable AICS stock.

IMG_2636_zps7fc25287.jpg

Ceracoated in Graphite black H series.

Here you go Jay.

Boresighted the rifle then fired 5 rounds, and put it back in the bag.

Group verified and witnessed by Range officer as the first 5 rounds fired.

IMG_2638_zpsa871e8f8.jpg

I thought these were 77,s but in fact , were 69 grain SMK,s with 24.5 grains of vhit 140. They are loaded on milsurp brass for an AR. :P

Here you go Jay.

Boresighted the rifle then fired 5 rounds, and put it back in the bag.

Group verified and witnessed by Range officer as the first 5 rounds fired.

IMG_2638_zpsa871e8f8.jpg

I thought these were 77,s but in fact , were 69 grain SMK,s with 24.5 grains of vhit 140. They are loaded on milsurp brass for an AR. :P

Dave has anyone told you it's not nice to show off?? :P:P lol

Alan

:lol:

Hopefully It doesn't look like that Alan.

I simply like to show the initial group a gun has fired with a totally random load that has had no development whatsoever for the gun. It gives an indication of a rifle's potential, and it also stops a customer bringing a gun back and claiming it won't shoot.

I also like to shoot the said groups in front of witnesses, because I can then make a genuine comment on group sizes and people believe it.

Jay very nice , how do you get on with the weight of aics when scoped and mod put on ? Its just i have an 223ai just like it wearing an NF its very heavy ... Atb tim

Jay very nice , how do you get on with the weight of aics when scoped and mod put on ? Its just i have an 223ai just like it wearing an NF its very heavy ... Atb tim

Mine to wears a NF... I'm perfectly happy with the weight, but I'm a HULK!

Not really!

I'll never stalk with it... All is fine when it's in a Drag Bag and I'm carrying it to my chosen firing position.

I'm lucky that my Land Rover will get me to most of my chosen firing positions and I rarely have to carry the rifle at all!

All that weight just keeps the recoil right down! :-)

Nice

I really need to buy some spraying equipment and start coating.. :)

Sit down when you add all the costs up.

Anything from £500 upwards for a shot blaster.

£1500 for a large enough compressor.

I paid £1800 for my Spraybooth.

Then £2000 for the oven.

Everytime I order paint its a £1000 and thats several times a year.

This is the bare minimum of equipment needed to do a professional job, and the reason I paint for most of the top gunsmiths in the UK now.

Well the costs add up, same as start up costs I had ten years ago - in excess of 30k for a part time, strictly small time operator.

I get asked more and more for finishing and I point people in the direction of you and a few others whom provide a reliable, high quality and trustworthy service.

However, it would be good to be able to everything "in house" than outsource.

It would also be great if there were more than 24 hours in a day and I had another pair of hands…. :D

I do get your point re costs Dave, but in relative terms of equipment and ongoing expense on tools and ancillaries, its certainly not a massive outlay.

Though if I do decide to invest further, id have to brush up on my finger painting skills... :)

Thanks again Dave! The rifle looks amazing and the bolt feels awesome.

I'm looking forward to getting some rounds down range... See if my 1st group can be under half a minute.

• 1 month later...

So here it is... My 1st group.

11730_10155397395385397_6924478549565670

Ok, so its only 3 rounds, but I'm very pleased!

This is the start of my Load Development for my 80 Gr A-Max.

Thanks again Dave! :D

You must be pleased Jay,,,,,have some good fun this summer eh!!!.......Can you tell me,,,I,m not up to speed with "Apps" etc what is that app or program your using please and where can it be sourced,,,,many thanks,,,,O

Pleased is an understatement! :-)

This is the Ballistics AE app. (iOS only) To be perfectly honest, I'm not getting along with it... It's too complicated! I was mainly interested in this photo/group size function, but it's all a bit fiddly... Nothing that can't be achiced with a ruler and a bit of Math!

I use Strelok Pro, in my opinion, it's the most straight forward, intuitive and has always yielded good results! (Nearly half the price too!)

Archived