Returning to stalking

terryh

After lugging my 6.5x47 Sentinel round the need for a rifle specifically for stalking was needed (yes, I'm getting too old for that sort of thing)

Looking at basic factory rifles the T3 came out as my 1st choice, accurate, reasonable cost and light (ish). My original cartridge was the 7-08 but being a special order I ended up with a 6.5x55 Swede, short barrel varmint.

Adding a light weight scope and a quick dust over the shiney stainless finish with some 'baby poo' brown ED paint (apologies Baldie! :) ) thus:

imagejpg1_zps8854801b.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsab8eafe3.jpg

Quick load development using 6.5x55 Skan data gives nice groups with 130g Nosler CT's over N560.

Only feux pas was the moderator I picked up as being light weight and of suitable thread turned out to be a Roedale, but it works OK so far!

Nice and light, the 20" barrel keeps it sensible with the suppressor fitted.Very pleased with outcome, it does everything I need in a simple package.

Terry

ps the 'sniper' tape on the scope is not mall ninja, it just stops me scratching stuff getting in/out of trucks and over/under gates/barbed wire

Good for you Terry

Since having to step away from F Class (totally against what I wanted to do) but I've put renewed energy into stalking, - I was pretty busy anyway, but am now out three or four times a week,,

Swapping between lowland and hill makes for a interesting mix.

Reds don't get any easier though no matter where you are :D

T3 is an excellent factory choice, though I wouldn't have had the synthetic stock - seriously recommend putting it in an E-Tac...

I like the EC paint, its cheap and it works, while not as protective as Cerakote or Duracoat, its easy to apply and offers some protection for a while before the scratches show through..

You ever in my neck of the woods, give me a shout and i'll arrange something for you.

Ronin,

A good walk round in the quiet is a good mind clearer, de-stressing. Thank you for the offer, will try to make a trip!

BD, sorry, did not have my glasses on! :)

Ronin,

A good walk round in the quiet is a good mind clearer, de-stressing. Thank you for the offer, will try to make a trip!

BD, sorry, did not have my glasses on! :)

It looks great, but you could go crazier with it....the rings..... the shroud.....(remember, it's removable paint!) .........and I think I can still see some of the black on the stock and mod? :P:lol:

Cant beat a 6.5x55, I have used one for years as my stalking rifle and dont see a need to change calibre at all, has never let me down, good choice Terry, happy days.

Atb Tony.

What scope did you end up with Terry?

March 3-24 x 52 with low level illimination.

I like FFP, the 52mm version's very good in low light (I had a play with one when they first came out so knew its performance) and it is compact with no 'sticky-out' knobs while still giving external adjustment. True you would not need the ability to adjust in the field but It is a useful feature.

Terry

March 3-24 x 52 with low level illimination.

I like FFP, the 52mm version's very good in low light (I had a play with one when they first came out so knew its performance) and it is compact with no 'sticky-out' knobs while still giving external adjustment. True you would not need the ability to adjust in the field but It is a useful feature.

Terry

I've recently changed my March to low level illumination, it makes it so much more usable in the field.

• 1 month later...

Didn't you use that lovely wooden stock terry ?

Dave,

That is for a future project add in, once I've re-finished the wooden stock to be darker,moiled etc.

T

Archived