308 Rem 700 Stalker

Ronin

Finished this earlier in the week.

Trued, used, Rem 700 action, bolt handle, supplied by the customer

Oversize lug

Farrell rail

Lothar Walther barrel (polygon 10 twist), Medium Palma profile, threaded M18x1mm and protective cap

PSE Composites E Tac stock finished in "irish mix" - always a pleasure to work with Edi's stocks

Tier one Bottom metal and AICS mag

Rifle Basix Rem 700 replacement trigger

Chambered in 308 Winchester (SAAMI Spec)

Rifle built for a very old friend who's taught me Ju Jitsu for the last 16 (is it so long) years and intended for stalking and occasional informal targetry use.

Load development yesterday very promising - no pics sorry

DSCN4291_zpsbdc8706a.jpg

DSCN4292_zpsc7448147.jpg

DSCN4293_zps2f2679d0.jpg

DSCN4294_zpse094c69c.jpg

DSCN4295_zps29132295.jpg

DSCN4296_zpsbc685091.jpg

you get 9 out of 10 for that one,you lost a point for not spraying the barrel black.rifle is v nice

If I was asked to recoat the barrelled action, I would have had it done - the customer is always right :)

Its a job that can be completed if, as and when thats decided upon.

It will also make no difference to the end use - its been made to kill deer and that it will do, very, very well..

If I was asked to recoat the barrelled action, I would have had it done - the customer is always right :)

Its a job that can be completed if, as and when thats decided upon.

It will also make no difference to the end use - its been made to kill deer and that it will do, very, very well..

yeh i was just talking asthetics,the tactical bolt and invisable thread cap wont make it hit deer any better but the look very tidy.i have no doubt its a shooter and more than capable deer rifle.

Good work Ronin, very similar to my stalking rifle only I cut my med. palma to 20".

I prefer to cut the mag lever shorter as it is easy to loose a mag when crawling through high grass with those or similar mag systems.

Gyr from this site uses a 1/10 Lothar Walther polygon barrel since a few years and seems very happy with it.

edi

Good work Ronin, very similar to my stalking rifle only I cut my med. palma to 20".

I prefer to cut the mag lever shorter as it is easy to loose a mag when crawling through high grass with those or similar mag systems.

Gyr from this site uses a 1/10 Lothar Walther polygon barrel since a few years and seems very happy with it.

edi

Cheers Edi, we didn't want to lose too much off the barrel, but 20" would make this a very pointable work tool..

The proportions on that look just right. What's the barrel length?

Thanks, barrel length is 24"

Nick the polygon Rifling is the same idea as canted or 5R rifling - it is in theory supposed to be less aggressive to the bullet as it passes down the barrel .

Its also easier to clean.

I understand the barrel was very easy to clean after its first use and with nominal load development its shooting 1/2"

Further load dev will no doubt reduce that considerably - I would expect :)

Im sure something like this could find its way to you if you wanted Rik, I've built rifles for a few guys in the Czech Republic and delivered them direct (with all the necessary paperwork) my end sorted.

Just finishing off a Sako AV in 308 thats a total refurb job, it looks very good, perfect carry all day rifle….(though soid) :D

• 1 month later...

Been a while as weather not been fantastic for range testing the gun.

Rifle now has a Rechnagle rather than Farrell rail, TPS low alloy rings and sports a 6-20 x 50 Leup Vari x 111 scope.

Already tried the rifle with Factory PMC with 168g SMK which shot sub 3/4 inch reliably.

Testing today in "moist" conditions with the owner driving.

155g Scenar, Varget, Muron primers.

44.5g Strikes again……though 43g and 44g are not shabby at all.

IMG_2565_zps7i207kmo.jpg

Perfect for stalking , range or hill use.

Now to find a deer legal load.

Archived