Re chambering a blaser R8 barrel

Ro6.5

Hi guys, just a quick question for the smiths and experts! Does anybody know is it possible to re chamber a brand new blaser 6.5x55 barrel in to 6.5x284? (Can it be held in a lathe? And can it be re chambered with the use of a extended pilot) I am interested in a blaser R8 but there are no caliber's on offer I want! And I can't seem to get a straight answer from their custom shop! I know it could turn out to be a expensive learning curve but if anyone could give me any advice or their opinion that would be great. Thanks
Ro6.5

Rather than re chambering a factory barrel, the use of a barrel extension will allow the fitment of a standard aftermarket custom barrel. Speak to Bix n Andy, or there is a chap in NZ who posts on the forums as Tui Man

http://www.bixn-andy.at/index.php/website/laeufe.html

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?action=print&num=1373593894

Blaser will make an R8 barrel in 6.5x284 (at a price)

They used to offer it as a standard chambering in the R93

Ronin - would they do the same for the R93 (in 6.5x284?) I understand that they dont do it as a standard barrel any more but as a special order?

Bix'n'Andy looks good.. Anybody used one of their blaser work-arounds?

Mark ingate in suffolk (find him on guntrader, deals in high end left handed stuff) bought in some 6.5x47l r93

Barrels from andy, he might be worth a chat to get something in if import/language barriers are an issue?

When i enquired about non-standard blaser calibres they (blaser) would only do them in runs of 50, that was a few years ago now.

Can you not stoke a swede up to 284 velocities?

Blaser will make an R8 barrel in 6.5x284 (at a price)

They used to offer it as a standard chambering in the R93

Tried blaser uk and a few of the uk dealers for a custom blaser R8 barrel in 6.5x284 and they won't do one!

Mark ingate in suffolk (find him on guntrader, deals in high end left handed stuff) bought in some 6.5x47l r93

Barrels from andy, he might be worth a chat to get something in if import/language barriers are an issue?

When i enquired about non-standard blaser calibres they (blaser) would only do them in runs of 50, that was a few years ago now.

Can you not stoke a swede up to 284 velocities?

Got all the dies, brass, bullets, and powder for the 284 plus I know and like the caliber.

Rather than re chambering a factory barrel, the use of a barrel extension will allow the fitment of a standard aftermarket custom barrel. Speak to Bix n Andy, or there is a chap in NZ who posts on the forums as Tui Man

http://www.bixn-andy.at/index.php/website/laeufe.html

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?action=print&num=1373593894

I personally thought it would be easier to re chamber a factory blaser barrel barrel than having to machine up barrel extensions etc. Bix n Andy certainly looks like a option may give mark ingrate a ring as Garry suggests

Having screw cut several Blaser barrels and knowing how hard the surface treatment is (which will and does extend over the entire surface including the chamber) I would be very surprised if you found anyone willing to sacrifice a reamer to re cut your chamber….. even a carbide reamer would struggle.

I use Tn coated inserts and can guarantee that one will be sacrificed to break through the surface coating……per procedure.

I use Tn coated inserts and can guarantee that one will be sacrificed to break through the surface coating……per procedure.

That is not really economical.

Ro6.5 I suggest you to contact blaser Germany directly. Their service is really good and they will get back to you fast.

Anyhow I suggest you to contact Bix'n Andy. You need more patience there but guys who have his barrels are satisfied.

I will also order a custom barrel from him in .300win mag with faster twist to shoot 215 berger hybrids. I would order the .338 norma mag but there is no bolt head for it...

• 2 weeks later...

When I was looking for a .20 calibre almost a couple of years ago now, Blaser quoted me around £1100 to do me an R93 barrel in the .204Ruger that they offered as standard for the R8.

I wasn't that much of a fan of the 204R so I went with a Sako A1 donor with a Pacnor Super Match in .20Practical from Neil McK. Very very nice and a little cracker..... but at the end of the day it would probably have been cheaper to go for the Blaser option, especially as I already had Saddlemounts for the Blaser....... although factoring in a new bolt head narrows the gap.

Cheers

Fizz

:ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

You don't need go as far as Austria (Bix'n Andy). There are - if you look hard enough - domestic gunsmiths who will work on Blaser barrels and re-chamber them in non-factory calibres.

I looked into this 18 months ago - also searching for a way to have a .20 cal Blaser.

I ended up getting a used .243 barrel from a certain gunshop in Tain, and having the breech / lock ring retained (and threaded) to accept a new .20TAC barrel.

Or that's the theory. It's just celebrated its first birthday at the gunsmiths so I can't vouch for the results !

Though it might actually be away at proof by now.

Both chappies who were prepared to step up to the plate were in Bonnie Scotland.

One called Callum

One called Dennis - who got the job, 'cause he answered first.

Hope this helps.

Archived