6.5x284? action??

what would be a good action to build a 6.5x284. the only factory rifles i can see in this caliber is blazer.

ive been thinking of getting a 25/06 and when shot out rebarreling in 6.5, this will be mainly for stalking.

any reccomendations on actions to look out for would be great

cheers

fp

As the rifle will be mainly for stalking, just how many lifetimes do you plan on living? I've never known a barrel shot out by "mainly stalking".

Why not buy a rifle in need of re-barreling (e.g. a Tikka) and having it barreled in 6.5x284 straight away - it's a much better stalking calibre than .25-06 in any case.

good point.... and great answer thanks.

ive been reading that all tikkas are the same action with spacers. as ill be needing a long action.??? is this true. if so can i just buy any tikka and get it made into long action???

cheers

Remington long action will carry the 6.5/284 as will the Tikka 690/695 and any Tikka T3 assuming the bolt face is 308 sized is my understanding. Have a look round for a shot out 270 or 3006 and you have your donor. Shouldn't be hard to find

what would be a good action to build a 6.5x284. the only factory rifles i can see in this caliber is blazer.

ive been thinking of getting a 25/06 and when shot out rebarreling in 6.5, this will be mainly for stalking.

any reccomendations on actions to look out for would be great

cheers

fp

my mate is selling a very sexy 25-06 based on a howa l/a pillar bedded in a McMillan A5 with a HEAVY Krieger barrel , buy that and shoot it out and there's your doner ?

Tikka T3 actions are all the same length, the different "lengths" are controlled simply by different bolt stops which are easily modified/swapped.

Howa

I've got a spectacular 25-06 made by Steve Kershaw with a kreiger barrel that would be right up your street. Blueprinted howa action in a Macmillan stock. Not even proofed yet. A hidden gem I found a couple of weeks ago, and need to get proofed, but have decided to sell so wife does not kill me by bludgeoning me with it. Shame as I like the idea of the VLD's in it for long range stuff.

I have 2 other customs rifles again both based on howa actions, one in 6mmBR and one 260 rem. All shoot single hole groups. Andrew (riflecraft) made the last 2 for me. The 260 shot a 3 foot group at a mile!!!! 140 grain amax's the way ahead. Interestingly when I asked for the 260 to be blueprinted during build it did not need it as was so straight anyhow. Good actions and factory triggers are fine and if you feel the need loads of after market ones out there. I have never felt the need and still win comps.

Does sound nice Westy. Thing is I really want a 6.5x284 as ill be re barrelling my 243 in 6x284 so I can just buy 284 brass and keep things abit simpler.

Hope to see your rifle in the for sale section though as I may have someone for it.

Cheers

Ive shot a 6.5x284 stalking rifle for the last 10 years, its now on barrel number 3

Its certainly a great leveller for deer of any size in the UK and accuracy is superlative.

You need a long action rifle as a basis (unless you have it short throated, but I wouldn't recommend it)

Rem 700, Tikka 690/695, T3, Sako 75 would all be on my list of possible donors.

Find a shot out 25-06 or 270 Win and start from there.

I have just added to the for sale section on gunstar

Have fun with the 6.5. Makes my 260 case a trifle small. Epic ballistics from these calibre bullets. You cant go wrong.

Have you considered 260? You even then get to use all your old 243 brass as its just a case of through the sizing die which necks it up. I use 243 brass all the time as its cheaper and more available than 260 and is in effect the same!!!

And Ronin makes a good point, your 243 action will no doubt be too short for your 284....

I think I'll just get away with a small action in 6 x284 as long as I don't go above 87vmax.??? I could be totally wrong though. I've got 2.980 col in my sako 85 mag. And a recommended 2.825 col for this bullet in this caliber.

I'm about 12 month of getting the 243 rebarreled. But need a new stalking set up asap

The 6-284 will go in a short action, but it won't eject a live round. The mag will feed it, but you will have to pull the bolt to extract a live round. I built such a gun on a surgeon a few years ago.

A Sako Action IV in 25/06 or 270 and a quick word with a competent smith about a custom barrel and you've got a hell of a stalking rifle

My Sako 6.5x284 has fired around 1200 rounds and looks like the moon surface looking through a bore scope.Its still producing consistent 3/4" groups however :)

The 6-284 will go in a short action, but it won't eject a live round. The mag will feed it, but you will have to pull the bolt to extract a live round. I built such a gun on a surgeon a few years ago.

And the one you re-barrelled for me hasn't produced anything above .5" even through all the load development :)

I sold my sako 75 IV with a LW barrel in 6.5x284 on here a while back way too cheap really, but im sure its got a good home..

I think i know someone with a border barrel in 6.5x284 which has done less than 100 rounds and shot a dream, threadded for a remington action....

Ive shot a 6.5x284 stalking rifle for the last 10 years, its now on barrel number 3

Its certainly a great leveller for deer of any size in the UK and accuracy is superlative.

You need a long action rifle as a basis (unless you have it short throated, but I wouldn't recommend it)

Rem 700, Tikka 690/695, T3, Sako 75 would all be on my list of possible donors.

Find a shot out 25-06 or 270 Win and start from there.

Out of interest do you think you would have shot out more barrels if it had been a 25-06, and less if a .270. The reputation of a 6.5x284 as a barrel eater would seem to be confirmed with your 3 year average for a stalking rifle.

ATB,

MB

Out of interest do you think you would have shot out more barrels if it had been a 25-06, and less if a .270. The reputation of a 6.5x284 as a barrel eater would seem to be confirmed with your 3 year average for a stalking rifle.

ATB,

MB

Having seen Ronin at work with a rifle I suspect his idea of "shot out" is others peoples idea of just nicely "shot in"! The other thing is that I know he practices with his rifles a lot when not stalking, rather than many others who will only fire a handful of rounds a year when a deer is in front of them.

I shoot a 6mm-284 on a predator short action that ejects live rounds due to the shape of the ejection port!

I'm also just building a 6.5-284 on a tikka t3 22.250 just replace the mag and mill the bolt stop and it will accept the long 6.5.

Ro6.5

Having seen Ronin at work with a rifle I suspect his idea of "shot out" is others peoples idea of just nicely "shot in"! The other thing is that I know he practices with his rifles a lot when not stalking, rather than many others who will only fire a handful of rounds a year when a deer is in front of them.

Point taken about just what "shot out" means (even 1000 deer is a good haul in most lifetimes-OK a few sighter checks etc too)-a rifle that once did .3 and is now .5 is still at least a 'serviceable' stalker-imany factory rifle won't better that (nor need too,perhaps.)

The 30-06 is the parent case for 270 and 25-06,so within general variances of powder loads and burn rates used,and evening out individual high/low pressure loads,we would expect the wear rates to correspond to the reduction in bore size (more hot stuff in a smaller tube means more damage).So increasing wear from 30-06 to 270 to 25-06.The deterioration may not be linear (30 last much longer than 25).

The 284 when introduced,did not quite produce the hoped for 'comparable to 270 performance" but close enough,so in the 6.5 is a bit smaller barrel again-the temptation to somewhat hot load (maybe influenced by competitive 'hot' loads with 'nitroglycerine' type powders) simply increases wear even more.

No free lunches

Bon apetit :-)

gbal

I understand barrel life now George.

And in my eyes barrels are like car tyres. Made to be burned.

If I get 1000 good shots through my 284 that's plenty.

Thanks for all the help as usual chaps.

Won't be long until I start the thread titled.

140gr amax loads !!!!

Archived