.222 rem is so sweet

reloaderdan

have just loaded a new batch of .222 over 22grains of h4895 and man is she shooting sweet :lol:

just come back from a bit of bunny bashing near one of my rape fields where the little critters are doing some damage and the 55grn speer soft point found its mark every time took a video of my stills camera on a shot at about 70 yards the rifle can go a lot further but the zoom on my camera is limited to about 80 yards so have a look.

the damage the 55 grainers do is deverstating.

if you look to the right of the clip you can see just a small amount of the damage caused so far this year and its only may !!

and the walk to get the little bugger

and when i get there the poor bunny was crawling with flees not just the normal few thousand but this thing was alive with them.

will have to get a decent video camera and take it on some of the stalking and fox trips we do

regards to you all

nah sorry there mate had the dog the gun and trying to hold the camera just wanted a clean kill with out missing the little buggers are destroying my feilds this time dead is dead if i get a better camera with a tripod then things may change :lol:;)

Guest varmartin

nice little video clips Dan....

Have you tried any Vmax in your `triple two` ???

40 grainers work well, but there wont be much left to video when you pick them up :lol:

Nice Video, indeed! I am a huge fan of the Triple Deuce and favor bullets in the 40 to 52 grain class. That load with H-4895 is my favorite with certain bullets. Not only does is speed the bullet along nicely, but the pressures are in the 35K class which insures that your barrel and brass will last longer. My favorite cast bullet load uses that charge with a 58 grain cast bullet. It moves at 2700 fps+ so it's no slouch, but more importantly points to the fine, low pressures that load generates.

I recently bought a Winchester Model 70 "Deuce" that had the last inch of the barrel blown. I recrowned it yesterday afternoon and in the face of some oncoming bad weather hastily loaded some 50 grain Speer "TNT"s over 22.5 grains of 3031. It shot 1/2" to 5/8" at 100 yards even with a pretty stiff breeze. This is the best grouping I've ever had with these bullets. (My .223 hates them!) Tomorrow I will try the same load but in brass prepped in my .222 Lee Target Loader with the necks reamed and the primer pockets uniformed. I expect good things.

If you want some variety, try 3031 and/or (especially), IMR 4198. The US bench rest championships were won for years with a .222 and 19.5 grains of 4198. It is considered by many still to be the best .222 powder there is.

Until then, post some more rabbit busting videos! ~Andrew

I understand the fleas. Here in the plains country the fleas carry the bubonic plague. Unless its sub zero weather we shoot the rabbits and leave them.

Hi Chaps,

nice posting, the .222 is still one of the classics.

I thought I'd do a bit of research on the flea of the rabbit, as I did remember that some years ago, I was asking a vet about the danger this flea may pose to my dog.

My suspicions are correct: the rabbit flea does not live on dogs or humans, and does not carry diseases that are dangerous to humans (only to rabbits, such as myxomatosis)

for a full write-up see:

http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th5c.htm

This is a different flea than the one carried by the rat (which is capable of transmitting bubonic plague) and perhaps other animals (such as the prairie dog, in the US).

So. let the dog have a go at them rabbits, they are safe (and so are you) !!

Best wishes,

Finman

thanks guys glad you liked the clip

varmartin i have never tryed the v max int the 222 will have to give that some serious consideration when i order some more heads

i normaly fire the 55 grainers as an all rounder and they love foxs but the foxs for some strange reason hate them :rolleyes::rolleyes:

andrew i will try the 4198 what sort of variation would i expect to see ? and i agree with you the 4895 is the dogs nuts for long barrel life and more importantley brass life some of my cases are 6x fired with no signs of where they only need to be trimed now and again

i will post some more clips im out all this week varmiting so ill see what i can get and shar it with you all :rolleyes:

hey dude nice to here from you again mate now the weather is good ill have to pop on down and do a bit of twanging with you

the wife has just aggred to front a dedicated hd camcorder :rolleyes::rolleyes: for my shooting dont you just love them :rolleyes:

untill then best regards to you and the family dude and happy shooting

Thinking of putting some 40 vmax through my 222.

Which is the best choice of powder for this combination?

Accuracy more important than velocity but I anticipate about 3300 fps + with a 22'' barrel.

for me eldon 4895 all the way but some of the lads on here have posted some other powders andrews post is help full and im going to give the 4198 a go have just put an order in for some this afternoon at my local g/s if yo go onto hodgsons web site they have a list of all the powders and head weight combos you will ever need after that its just finding one you like and working your way up the power limit till you get what you need (as long as you stay safe that is :rolleyes: )

Great vid Dan i to am getting good results from H4895 in the ackley(27 gr) the old 223 however prefered Benchmark,still to shoot over the chrony though,i have just made a bracket for my camcorder from a old rifle mounted lightforce and it looks like it is gona work a treat

Reloaderdan,

Nice to see another .222 fan, not many of us left as the .223 offers so much more.

This 5 shot group is what my Tikka 595 can achieve at 100yds (The flyer was down to the wind).

Project1-1.png

Load used :

40gr Nosler CT's

25gr Ramshot Exterminator

Norma Brass

CCI BR4 primers

OAL 2.218"

Running out at around 3418fps, very accurate and lethal on fur and feather.

Another excellent load i use is:

50gr V-Max

24gr Vit 130

Lapua Brass

CCI BR4 primers

OAL 2.224"

Running out at around 3230fps, explosive results.

Please remember, if you try the above loads to start lower and work up checking for signs of pressure as you go.

All the best and keep at it with your triple two,

Jay.

I too love my Tikka 595 222, it shoots similar groups to above and is deadly out past 250yds on crows and the like.

After using various powders like 322, 4895 etc I have ended up with Nosler 50gr ballistic tips sat over BLC2 ( hornady's book load) and rem 7 1/2 primers, with no wind it will create virtually a one hole group at 100 yds and is very entertaining on the feathered varmints. :)

p1010005-1.jpg

Redfox

foxshot could you please post a pic of the bracket you have made it would be most helpfull

cheers :)

Here goes Reloaderdan

picture020iw7.jpg

This is of my old lightforce riflemounted lamp after the wiring burnt out, the conection piece to enable the camcorder to be fited came from a cheap camera mount,cut down so as to fit snugley it the lightforce bracket,then araldited in place,

picture021cc9.jpg

With camcorder fitted

picture022cy0.jpg

and finaly fitted to scope.and because the bracket came from the rifle mounted lightforce you set it up as you would set up the lamp,granted it looks a bit bulky but if you are doing any daytime varminting and have plenty time then i beleive some good footage could be obtained

Archived