Looking for quality flip-up scope caps

DW58

Having used Butler Creek covers for the past twenty years or more, I've finally come to the point where I'm fed-up of these falling to pieces or breaking on me. The final straw a brand new Flip-up Objective cap separating from it's mounting collar on me last week on the range.

So far I'm aware of the following:

• I have tried Vortex branded caps (actually just branded Bushwhacker caps) - not impressed.
  • March - need to investigate these.
  • Aadmount - look good but not easily available here/expensive, limited range.
  • Tenebraex - as Aadmount.
  • Swarovski - expensive, only fit their scopes.

What other quality flip-up caps are available, where can they be obtained?

I need: sizes - need 50mm and 56mm objectives and various eye pieces for Vortex, Swarovski, S&B & Minox.

86 views and not a squeak - someone must know of an alternative out there, Butler Creeks are driving me nuts!

Knowing the massive size of the American shooting industry, I'm amazed there aren't more alteratives out there.

I've looked at the Leupold caps, and also the rather expensive Swarovski ones. Must have a chat with Gary Costello and find out the exact sizes of the March caps as I'd bet on them being of good quality unless they are perhaps like the Vortex-branded caps and simply re-branded Bushwhackers.

Am I missing the point of flip up caps? When they are flipped up they are nothing but a nuisance, and I can't see that I would want to close them while shooting in normal circumstances. Why not just use bikini style caps to protect lenses in transit and storage?

If you have a 50mm NXS then the Leupold 50mm Alumina fits straight on , however if you intendto use a sunshade then you have to buy a Leupold sunshade . I have just got one of the Swarovski flip ups which is on a 56mm NXS via a step down ring . Most of the leading brands use standard thread sizes and by using step down / up rings which you can buy from amazon etc for pennies you can attach better flip ups . The only down sides are the flip ups are expensive , you loose a very small amount of light on certain combo's when reducing the objective and its easier to sort the objective than the eyepiece .

OSOK

Am I missing the point of flip up caps? When they are flipped up they are nothing but a nuisance, and I can't see that I would want to close them while shooting in normal circumstances. Why not just use bikini style caps to protect lenses in transit and storage?

There far from a nuisance to me, a front flip up in the up position will prevent glare from a lamp on the back of a moderator, you can also put some drop data or aim points on a rear flip up, I'm the opposite, I've always found bikinis a pain

Tennebraex are supposed to be good, but difficult to find and only fit a limited range of scopes.

Aadmount seem pretty good, but they only sell within the USA - and again for a relatively limited range of sizes. I'm going to get a pair via a pal and try them on my Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP.

I gather that Butler Creek changed their supplier and/or polymer a few years back, which is why all the current ones fall apart at the least provocation. If you have any of the old ones - hang on to them!

Basically I reckon that there is a huge untapped market for a decent low to mid-range cost flip up cap. It seems to me that any competent plastics moulding company could clean up if they came up with a halfway decent design.

I gather that Butler Creek changed their supplier and/or polymer a few years back, which is why all the current ones fall apart at the least provocation. If you have any of the old ones - hang on to them!

Basically I reckon that there is a huge untapped market for a decent low to mid-range cost flip up cap. It seems to me that any competent plastics moulding company could clean up if they came up with a halfway decent design.

Hear Hear - I'm amazed that no-one stateside has taken this on board.

Archived