New AR from Baldie, first outing

gun nut

Hi Dave,

promised to let you know how the new AR worked out and I had my first full range day on Saturday past. Changed a few bits since it left you but I kept the Armalite hand guard so as not to mess up the accuracy potential it showed in your test group.

This is how it looks now

AR15_zpsb7895891.jpg

This is it on Saturday past along with the 300m target it shot with the handloaded 77SMK's

ARatrange_zps0e875635.jpg

5 Shots at 300m, wind gusting 5-15mph from 11 o'clock to 12 o'clock

223300M_zpsb42ea3ad.jpg

First 2 shots were at +6.75moa and made a .75moa correction for the 3 in the 10 ring.

223300Mmeasured_zps2a83255f.jpg

Not bad for an AR with mag length ammo :D .809"/330yds = .245 moa

Thanks for another cracking rifle Dave that has totally lived up to your promise.

Mike

ps this is the last group from the load development session the Saturday before at 100yds

223groupmeasured_zps37e934f9.jpg

Shots 1,2,3and 5 are in one hole, I pulled 4 when I saw the first 3 in the one hole :blush: the 4 shot hole measures .338-.223=.115moa :)

Does the Nosler have a higher BC John ?

Difficult to determine as the SMK quote a variable BC and Nosler a single, however, the Nosler is supposedly more consistent as each box contains bullets made on the same machine with the same dies.

Thats always gonna be better. :)

Not necessarily so.

Noslers are just another version of the same bullet.

Some guns like them, some don't

Sierras have won more matches, so that has to tell you something

No harm John,

but when I get a load that works as good as this why in the world would I want to experiment with different bullets?To be honest I think this is about as good as I can shoot so it'd be hard to tell if another bullet was better or not :D

My brief to Baldie was to make me an AR that could hit an egg at 300m with mag fed ammo, job done!

looks good, whats the spec on the parts please?

DPMS thick wall upper, Double star lower, magpul UBR stock and rubber pistol grip, Armalite hand guard ,a 20" Border barrel 1;8.5 twist chambered .223Wylde and a Jewel AR trigger. A March 2.5-25x42 scope and a Laurence Precision Aurora ( it was bought at great expense and supposedly built specifically for a .270 Stalking rifle, but was pants on it) it does work quite well on the .223 though as there is probably a quarter of the gas volume of a .270 which it couldn't cope with.

I'm sure Baldie would be delighted to build you another but even he admitted they don't all shoot like this one :D

No Dave,

23.5 grn Varget,once fired Hornady brass, rem 7.5 primer and 2.260" OAL. didn't have N140 but have a healthy supply of Varget. To be perfectly honest it was the first load I tried, and it was in a thread on UKV that someone used it for their CSR load so I tried it, shortest cheapest load development I've ever done :D Makes up for the times I've spent weeks and £££££'s getting good loads.

Mike

Archived