zeiss or swaro range finding binos?

Hi guys,

I think i may treat myself, which is best between the two mentioned?

And wheres the best place to shop?

Cheers guys

Steve

I've handled both plus Leica. Leica is what I've bought. I believe a new Leica is just about to be released. Regards JCS

How come and why pal?

I've handled both plus Leica. Leica is what I've bought. I believe a new Leica is just about to be released. Regards JCS

How come and why pal?

Leica?

Why?

Steve

There was an extensive test done in the US last year which compared all three of the major players in this market, it is online somewhere but I can't remember the link although a quick Google should turn it up.

The new Leica HD ending up winning but only just from the Swaro, however this was only because they gave a large weighting to the onboard ballistic calculator, in all other areas the Swaro was ahead or the same. The Swaro was rated as the best in low light, the Zeiss was the worst.

I have the Swaro which I bought to replace a set of early Geovids, I rate the Swaro highly they do take a bit of getting used to as the range is displayed in a different side to the reticle but other than that they have been great. The Leica HD was not available when I bought mine about 2 years ago.

My thoughts would be that the Zeiss is now outclassed and that you should try both the others, if low light performance means a lot to you that maybe lean to the Swaro or if an onboard ballistic computer blows your skirt up then go for the Leica.

I always ask myself these questions when deciding on a these 3 brands

1. Some generous idiot have got to pay for the monthly whole page advert in UK shooting magazine - not me

2 has any medical optical instruments , tv broadcast cameras , astrononic device , military contracts been made by these companies ?

3 does your life depending on it when you hunt ?

Don't ask people their opinion

Just try and answer the above questions in your mind

I am not saying which brand is botte buti know in my heart which brand I wil depend on when the chips are down

Hope it helps

The military contracts statement is an interesting one, here's another "How do you feel going to war with kit that was supplied by the lowest bidder" :D ,

If you can, try before you buy, get along to a game/shooting fair and try them all if you can (its about the only reason to go to one nowadays)

Gentlemen,

Before we get into a handbag human conflict over procurement etc,let's agree that some criteria help-though not all are equally reliable and valid.

AnthonyR refers to an extensive test-probably done with fairly reliable measuring equipment,and not all subjective,though that was probably included-humans do differ.

Military uses may or not be very relevant to civilian use-they probably are for rangefinders.The military tend not to have very duff gear.

Londonhunter's criteria are less helpful here,though I can see the general drift..less helpful because all three contenders have fairly extensive research/military/medical contracts etc;they also spend on promoting/advertising their equipment-very few people will know how much;there are very ,very few situations in hunting where your life is threatened (wild boar,just possibly-dangerous big game,yes-esp if wounded,in which case you have already messsed up,and it is very unlikely that precise ranging will get you out of trouble.Nor will military issue gear be best.You need the Guide/double nitro express,or both.

In the present choice(Z/L/S) the criteria don't discriminate between the options.

Alas,though,objective tests can't all be up to date -and new,possibly improved models will appear.In which cases,users views might help-if they are reasonably informed/detailed.

Perhaps above all,it depends on your needs/use-and as ever,the advice to actually try each and (literally) see which best fits,under the conditions you will use them,is sound advice.

Alas,this might not be very convenient, e g no big show imminent locally - is it ever? That's where the comprehensive test reviews come to your aid,aided and abetted by local users reports.

The tests might run to more than two lines ,too,but at least it's there,a bit like "Which?" reports/guides.

(and yes,best buys can need repairs/aren't perfect/get replaced by new models.)

good luck!

gbal

Here is the review I was referring to, it was in a German mag not in the USA:

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=490182&d=1396360283

Seems pretty comprehensive to me, although I totally agree that all reviews should be taken with a pinch of salt and you can't beat getting your own greasy paws on something in order to form a proper opinion.

Anthony,

Many thanks for the review reference-pretty comprehensive;no-one could really be surprised at what they get if they had read this.Clearly they are all field excellent,and indeed very close,including price (2500 euros)

Just a caution-any shooter might rate the features score slightly differently ( giving a category 10 max rather than 15 max is rather up to whether those two features are of such relative importance to you.)

Some features might not be so relevant -I expect extreme range was range was rated,but few field shooters will be too fussed about 1200 versus 1250 metres!

That said,just which anyone prefers might well be on subjective issues-though handing etc are covered in the scoring.

Technically,all three cut the mustard- but there are some differences,eg ballistics display features,not just in colour!

Now we know,so choice should be informed- very informed!

gbal

Archived