New PB

Big Al

Because Im new to this long range varminting Im just starting to establish my personal bests. Most of my kills have been around the 200yd mark as that was where I was comfortable on paper, I pushed it a bit to 241 yards a couple of weeks ago on a crow. Last weekend I started shooting paper out to 300yds and was able to keep 5 shots inside 2" so felt more confident on pushing things out a bit further this week on the real thing.

Last night I got a magpie at 181yds and tonight I broke my 241yd PB twice within 20 mins. The first one was a rook at 272yds which I was chuffed about as it needed 4 clicks for wind and 12 elevation. Then the next one took things to a whole new level for me, 342yds which well pleased me, the strike was center mass, just as I had hoped. Into the wind this time so no windage just 20 clicks for elevation. Both of these were first time shots, 2/2 not plinking until I got one.

Im using 55gr SBK over 22.5gr of N133 so running quite slow at 2950 according to the chrono at the weekend, Im using the Shooter app on my iPhone and have fudged the velocity to make it match my real world drops, for it to be working out to 340 yards is very pleasing, it took me ages to walk to collect it and I lasered my jeep just to confirm the distance, both shots were taken off the roof with a bipod and a back bag.

This is really addictive stuff but Im wondering if I can really expect much better from my .223?

Because Im new to this long range varminting Im just starting to establish my personal bests. Most of my kills have been around the 200yd mark as that was where I was comfortable on paper, I pushed it a bit to 241 yards a couple of weeks ago on a crow. Last weekend I started shooting paper out to 300yds and was able to keep 5 shots inside 2" so felt more confident on pushing things out a bit further this week on the real thing.

Last night I got a magpie at 181yds and tonight I broke my 241yd PB twice within 20 mins. The first one was a rook at 272yds which I was chuffed about as it needed 4 clicks for wind and 12 elevation. Then the next one took things to a whole new level for me, 342yds which well pleased me, the strike was center mass, just as I had hoped. Into the wind this time so no windage just 20 clicks for elevation. Both of these were first time shots, 2/2 not plinking until I got one.

Im using 55gr SBK over 22.5gr of N133 so running quite slow at 2950 according to the chrono at the weekend, Im using the Shooter app on my iPhone and have fudged the velocity to make it match my real world drops, for it to be working out to 340 yards is very pleasing, it took me ages to walk to collect it and I lasered my jeep just to confirm the distance, both shots were taken off the roof with a bipod and a back bag.

This is really addictive stuff but Im wondering if I can really expect much better from my .223?

Well done fella.

In answer to your question, yes, you will be able to get a lot more out of your kit, subject to the person pulling the trigger! I know people shooting almost identical loads to you and they are shooting gongs and rabbits out pas 500 yards with very high and reliable results.

The last 4 rabbits I have shot this week with my .223AI (80grain AMax) have been between 330 and 460 yards, all first shot kills.

Steve

Al,good approach-and results-as I said,the truth is in the crows not the chrono.

Beyond about 400y,you will be doubling drop and drift,and getting into 4/3 feet kind of figures, by 500y.

No-one can make confident 100% first shot crow hits in wind when in that territory.

Excellent shooting,so far,but only you can weigh up extra yardage against misses....

g

Well done fella.

In answer to your question, yes, you will be able to get a lot more out of your kit, subject to the person pulling the trigger! I know people shooting almost identical loads to you and they are shooting gongs and rabbits out pas 500 yards with very high and reliable results.

The last 4 rabbits I have shot this week with my .223AI (80grain AMax) have been between 330 and 460 yards, all first shot kills.

Steve

Wow, that is encouraging and certainly something to work towards.

So will my 55gr SBK be suitable for those distances? I was thinking I might have to go to something like 75gr AMax?

Al,good approach-and results-as I said,the truth is in the crows not the chrono.

Beyond about 400y,you will be doubling drop and drift,and getting into 4/3 feet kind of figures, by 500y.

No-one can make confident 100% first shot crow hits in wind when in that territory.

Excellent shooting,so far,but only you can weigh up extra yardage against misses....

g

As we previously discussed George, I need to see the results on paper before I will try to engage the real thing. I dont see any point in a speculative shot at unproven ranges which most likely wont even show where I missed , as we know, the paper never lies! ;)

My thinking is that if I cannot hold 5 shots inside a 3" shoot-n-see then Im past my effective range for crows and rabbits. Last weekend my 300yd paper shots were all straight into a 5mph wind so very favorable conditions, hopefully this weekend I might get to see how much a full value wind will blow my groups appart!

In my younger days I remember doing all of this with my .177 PC Air Arms to shoot in the FT comps although it was only 10-70yds so much easier to see the strikes, I might just have to treat myself to a spotting scope. :D

Wow, that is encouraging and certainly something to work towards.

So will my 55gr SBK be suitable for those distances? I was thinking I might have to go to something like 75gr AMax?

75 AMax will help you get way out there, but what twist rate is your rifle, it may not stabilize them.

I know several people using 55SBK and they very consistently shoot gongs and rabbits out to 600 yards in good condition, out to 450 is never really a problem.

The 80 grain AMax's I use are very stable in the wind, and 400 yard rabbit shots are usually not a problem, I do however spend a lot of time shooting small steel gongs out to 800 yards (so far) so I know with confidence I can do it.

What twist rTe is you rifle?

Steve

Please stop with the personal best nonsense. If you want to shoot vermin and tell us about then great, but anything from now on that has PB/personal best in it will be deleted, unless I'm instructed otherwise from the Admin.

Can I ask what exactly is your problem with regard to a forum members talking about his PB's?

I dont really understand your logic.

I would also be interested to hear the thoughts of Admin on this if possible.

Al, agreed-your criterion 5 shots in 3" is a pretty good match up to live quarry.

I also agree with Si that a good shooter and 223 combo can hit out to 500y,I am sure that an improved AI 223 and 80g bullets makes this more repeatable -though the ballistics of such a rig are getting out of reach of many standard 223s.

Gongs are great fun targets.

I estimate a rabbit to be about 8x2.5 inches (let's not quibble too much about 'terminal hit' zone,yet);this is 20 square inches.

20 square inches translates to a gong that is 5 inches diameter. We probably err on the ethical side -wind will be a far greater challenge than drop,as drop can be precisely known,and should be. A brick would probably be a closer approximation.

Given ding dong ding dong ding with 5 shots, rabbit size hits are then probable.

Crows need the hits on a 3" gong (being rather slim.)

But just check out the drop off in hits on the ground hog targets cards,as range increases ( Diggle Egg shoot)300y -probably,but 500-probably not -wind errors.( gear is superior in every way to .223).

Good shooting

g

75 AMax will help you get way out there, but what twist rate is your rifle, it may not stabilize them.

I know several people using 55SBK and they very consistently shoot gongs and rabbits out to 600 yards in good condition, out to 450 is never really a problem.

The 80 grain AMax's I use are very stable in the wind, and 400 yard rabbit shots are usually not a problem, I do however spend a lot of time shooting small steel gongs out to 800 yards (so far) so I know with confidence I can do it.

What twist rTe is you rifle?

Steve

My rifle is 1:9 Steve, its a Begara barrel on my 595.

Can I ask what exactly is your problem with regard to a forum members talking about his PB's?

I dont really understand your logic.

I would also be interested to hear the thoughts of Admin on this if possible.

Because you're unintentionally creating a image of using live quarry as target practice. Now I know you aren't and you know you aren't but what about the rest of the world?

Can I ask, what difference does it matter if it's one yard further than the other? Is it not about where you are and what you're doing rather than how far away it is and if it beats your previous best.

Many years ago I used to coarse fish, mainly for carp and tench and I weighed every fish. One day this old guy walks up to me and asks why I weigh all my fish. Before I could answer he asked me if the fish that weighed half a pound more was a better fish? and did it change where I was or what I was doing. I didn't get it at the time, several years later I totally understood what he meant and of course the answer is no.

I fear it's only a matter of time before someone writes " I spotted my quarry and ranged it at 300 yards, I then stalked away from it to make it a more interesting story for the internet"

Personal bests are for paper and steel and three, five or ten shots.

Anyone know where I can buy 3" gongs please?

Al, BH Targets do a variety of gongs,etc.tel 01597 82371 (see 'Targets" post in For Sale Forum on here.)

The 75 mm double ear (and 100 mm single) were £6,and very good,and couriered very promptly.

gbal

Because you're unintentionally creating a image of using live quarry as target practice. Now I know you aren't and you know you aren't but what about the rest of the world?

Can I ask, what difference does it matter if it's one yard further than the other? Is it not about where you are and what you're doing rather than how far away it is and if it beats your previous best.

Many years ago I used to coarse fish, mainly for carp and tench and I weighed every fish. One day this old guy walks up to me and asks why I weigh all my fish. Before I could answer he asked me if the fish that weighed half a pound more was a better fish? and did it change where I was or what I was doing. I didn't get it at the time, several years later I totally understood what he meant and of course the answer is no.

I fear it's only a matter of time before someone writes " I spotted my quarry and ranged it at 300 yards, I then stalked away from it to make it a more interesting story for the internet"

Personal bests are for paper and steel and three, five or ten shots.

Yip...sounds like the grumpy gamekeeper has spoken

Wax on. Wax off.

Excellent point though. Thank you Sensei :)

Archived