Benchmark Barrel Fouling

Ronin

Went to the 1000 yd Gong Shoot at Diggle yesterday, conditions were "poor" to say the least, so having taken 50 rounds of 284 Winchester with me that needed fire forming to 284 Shehane, I took the opportunity to let 40 of said rounds "go"

The barrel in the rifle is a Benchmark, its had 30 rounds through it already for load development and showed little fouling when I did that.

I use Wipe Out Carb Out (3 patches after using nylon brush)

Then used Wipe Out Accelerator (1 patch), left it for five mins and then 2 patched of Wipe Out Tactical Advantage copper cleaner.

The barrel then got left a few hours and had a couple more patches of TA through it.

40 rounds of 180 grain Bergers pretty much string shot.

photo-22_zps9f2b8776.jpg

Little or no fouling at all…amazing :D:D:D

Surly thats the sign of a high quality finished barrel ;) !

Surly thats the sign of a high quality finished barrel ;) !

Thats my point

• 5 weeks later...

Just cleaned my 6.5, 3 wet patches with butches bore shine took everything out, not sure how many rounds since last clean but it's a good few. Now shooting consistent 0.3 moa 5 shot groups after only 4 development sessions (each session was 4 x 5 shot groups). Got 3 more test groups to shoot on virgin brass, then I'm onto fire formed loads in brass that has been looked after. My brass that I "punished" at the RRC with hot loads is still hitting everything I point it at, and I haven't lost one yet.

Archived