Rem 700 VS. Your advice needed.

Morning All,

I have an opportunity to buy a Remington 700 VS in .22-250. From what little information I can find online it is a 26” heavy barrel model 700 with a jewelled bolt sat on a HS stock with full aluminium bedding block. I think they were produced circa 2000 in very limited quantity. There is no information on the Remington website and the info above has come from a couple of reviews buried deep in the web.

Has anyone owned/fired this particular model, if so how did you get on?

Any ideas on what twist rate will the barrel have?

The rifle is down in Sussex so a fair trek from Lincoln but I’m at Bisley on 14th Sept for TR so will head down to look at it on 13th and make a weekend of it.

Finally I plan to use the rifle for varminting but, depending on twist rate, I really like the idea of McQueens up at Diggle. I have no experience of the model 700 but I’m told that they are ‘easily’ customisable, i.e. can change bottom metal to convert from fp mag to detachable. Can anyone confirm this?

I welcome your thoughts.

Happy Friday,

J

I had the exact model you describe. Really liked it but I struggled to get it to shoot because the barrel was poorly chambered and the rifling damaged at the factory. I decided to move the rifle on rather than rebarreling and am regretting doing so to this date. If it's the right price then go for it. The 22/250 is a bit of a barrel burner so I would have it bore scoped before buying it. There are a multitude of add on bits available for the rem 700 so you will have lots of options

I had the exact model you describe. Really liked it but I struggled to get it to shoot because the barrel was poorly chambered and the rifling damaged at the factory. I decided to move the rifle on rather than rebarreling and am regretting doing so to this date. If it's the right price then go for it. The 22/250 is a bit of a barrel burner so I would have it bore scoped before buying it. There are a multitude of add on bits available for the rem 700 so you will have lots of options

Thanks for your advice on bore scoping, something I had not thought of.

I can't comment on the 22.250 version as a calibre but I bought a 308 and modified it as I went.

Here's the time line

Alan

[/url]">http://Image003.jpg

[/url]">http://Image011.jpg

[/url]">http://Image013.jpg

[/url]">http://NewRifle.jpg

Alan,

Those pictures make me want to have it right now!

Excellent evolution, personally Mk3 looks the nuts and the ideal setup for me.

Great work.

J

I also have the 0.308 version. Mine also now bears little resemblance to its initial appearance, now sitting in an AICS.

I think that the general concensus is that these older 700s are of better quality than the newer ones. Certainly the older triggers can be set up to a very nice release. Mine shoots very well, even out to 1000 yards and that's with the original barrel.

My experience with a duff barrel was not necessarily representative of the majority of 700VS rifles that were produced. I still have its big bro the Sendero in the cabinet and that shoots well

I had one of the original 223 VS rifles, bought in '98 (£450 new can you believe?). It was an excellent rifle out of the box as were most of the VS and PSS models of that era.

The 22-250 version will have a 1-14" twist, standard SAAMI spec for the cartridge, and designed for 55s at a nominal 3,650 / 65,000 psi (SAAMI). While not ideal for competition, it will work in 200/300yd McQueens with one caveat - private or MoD range use?

'Ordinary' MoD rifle ranges (which includes all of Bisley) are limited to 3,250 fps maximum MV and the .22-250 is shall we say a little out of the envelope. So, if you're considering shooting McQueens at Diggle in the PSSA monthly comps, you're OK (range certified for max 4,000 fps if I remember correctly), but if Bisley, you're stuffed I'm afraid.

Yes, you can customise Remy 700s forever, but it is an expensive way of doing things in the long run. (Been there, got that tee shirt!)

Alan,

Those pictures make me want to have it right now!

Excellent evolution, personally Mk3 looks the nuts and the ideal setup for me.

Great work.

J

J

To this day when I look at the Mk3 I sigh and think "what a prat" I never should have buggered it up and should have bought another rifle for F-TR.

Out to 800 yards using 175gn SMK's and Varget it was awsome... ho hum we live and learn :P

Alan

I had one of the original 223 VS rifles, bought in '98 (£450 new can you believe?). It was an excellent rifle out of the box as were most of the VS and PSS models of that era.

The 22-250 version will have a 1-14" twist, standard SAAMI spec for the cartridge, and designed for 55s at a nominal 3,650 / 65,000 psi (SAAMI). While not ideal for competition, it will work in 200/300yd McQueens with one caveat - private or MoD range use?

'Ordinary' MoD rifle ranges (which includes all of Bisley) are limited to 3,250 fps maximum MV and the .22-250 is shall we say a little out of the envelope. So, if you're considering shooting McQueens at Diggle in the PSSA monthly comps, you're OK (range certified for max 4,000 fps if I remember correctly), but if Bisley, you're stuffed I'm afraid.

Yes, you can customise Remy 700s forever, but it is an expensive way of doing things in the long run. (Been there, got that tee shirt!)

I thought it might be a 1-14" twist as both the SPS varmint and VSSF II were 1-14". The dealer said 1-10" but I'm very sceptical and asked him to put a rod through it and come back to me, no answer yet.

Good point on MV, I'm trying to get away from shooting at Bisley as quite a trek for morning matches (TR). I have been up to Diggle once and had a great time so very keen to do more up there. I've already conceded that I am not likely to be competitive at McQueens with my set up ( and skill set :blush: ) but keen for dual purpose rifle. I am excited about the format and challenge of McQueens.

Good to hear positive reviews on this variant! :D

I thought it might be a 1-14" twist as both the SPS varmint and VSSF II were 1-14". The dealer said 1-10" but I'm very sceptical and asked him to put a rod through it and come back to me, no answer yet.

Good point on MV, I'm trying to get away from shooting at Bisley as quite a trek for morning matches (TR). I have been up to Diggle once and had a great time so very keen to do more up there. I've already conceded that I am not likely to be competitive at McQueens with my set up ( and skill set :blush: ) but keen for dual purpose rifle. I am excited about the format and challenge of McQueens.

We shoot combined F and Target Rifle at Diggle too usually two fixtures per month at every distance from 300 to 1,000 yards inclusive but excluding 700 over the course of the year as well as McQueens. (See http://www.diggleranges.com/index.php/calendar)

Get it borescoped before you buy it. If the dealer says its got a 1 in 10" factory barrel on it, he obviously knows all about it...... :wacko:

22-250,s are barrel burners and usually end up on dealers shelves for one reason only.....especially at the age this one is. I flat out refuse to pay normal s/h rates for 22-250,s or 243,s as they are almost always shot out. I buy them for the actions only, take the barrels off immediately and bin them.

I can only ever remember one 22-250 that had shot a genuine round count of 400, and i knew this because it came from a friend.

Get it borescoped before you buy it. If the dealer says its got a 1 in 10" factory barrel on it, he obviously knows all about it...... :wacko:

22-250,s are barrel burners and usually end up on dealers shelves for one reason only.....especially at the age this one is. I flat out refuse to pay normal s/h rates for 22-250,s or 243,s as they are almost always shot out. I buy them for the actions only, take the barrels off immediately and bin them.

I can only ever remember one 22-250 that had shot a genuine round count of 400, and i knew this because it came from a friend.

Agreed, it does not induce the greatest confidence. I have paid the deposit on my credit card and I'm pretty sure I'll be covered under distance selling regs. Going down to see it on the 13 th sept. can anyone recommend a bore scope service in West Sussex?

Likewise, my .223 VS of that vintage was a shooter straight out of the box.

53gr FBHP Hornadys ahead of 27.5grs of W748 would truly shoot 1/2" and I've had many 3/8" groups out of it. The round count is def over 4000 and it's still very accurate. They shoot far better than they deserve to for a barrel cheaply produced by the zillion.

Archived