Diggle's 1000 yard Gong Shoot

Hi All

Sorry for the delay in getting the results up, this nasty thing called work just gets in the way.

So without further ado, here are the results.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ethsk1ffotaotm8/Diggle%20Gong%20Shoot%202014.pdf?dl=0

Cheers

Bruce

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Bruce, and congratulations again on your overall win.

Before the assembled cast of thousands ask Bruce and Vince how you can shoot half a gong, no it wasn't for knocking it off its ropes! The two 'sighting shots' were intended to be non-convertible, but the management decided that since hits were so hard to get, anybody who got one on the 'sighters' got a half-point. (Since you couldn't see the fall of shot inside the plate box they weren't really sighters at all, and most competitors after a detail or two went straight into the 15 score shots - if you somehow, anyhow, got a hit, it seemed a little mad to lose its value.)

not much point with photos, there wasn't much to see

Don't know, seemed to be quite a bit of Gucci kit there and a piccie or two of the excellent weather wouldn't go amiss to truely appreciate what a fine day it was :wacko:

I've forwarded a couple of Laurie's pics to mole-e to post.

Here you go folks........ click on the links

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e626bk6g9a2pn6i/Gong%20Shoot%20August%202014%20001.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/38xqh0bi9idiwe6/Gong%20Shoot%20August%202014%20017.JPG?dl=0

In the first pic, the sighting-in disks on the backstop can just be seen as a line of white dots on the sand around half way up. The 6 gongs are inside the plate box which is level with the mantlet top and to the left of the main target numbers. The line of (brighter) white dots are number boards, the gongs themselves invisible underneath.

They say the camera never lies, but a modern digital (the brilliant little Sony NEX-5) on the 'Intelligent Auto' setting makes even half dark Diggle look bright. (If only somebody could build that facility into my competition rifles, I'd be laughing!)

It would be interesting to find out exactly how far below the sighting in disk on the backstop a shooter needed to have the bullet splash to hit the gong (which is about 20 yards closer). I hit the sighting disk and got my impact to about 1/2 - 3/4 moa below it. I did not see any impact below the metal gong on the wood, so I assumed that my bullets went over. But I could not be sure so an element of guesswork crept in but will try harder next time :)

For those who hit the gong, what was your recollections of where your bullet splash was on the backstop sighter!

Les, I looked for hits on the sand just below the sighting-in disk. But at 1K, a brief splash in the sand could be three inches below, or three or four times that amount in actual fact. Going onto the disks, like so many I had the dispiriting experience of miss after miss with no idea of which direction I was 'out'. With the wind being so variable, I tried a bit of aim-off each side - no luck; aimed a bit high - no luck; and only got a couple of strikes in when I aimed low during the last few shots.

So, in my case at least, it seems you have to allow for a greater amount of drop than expected, That was with the 123gn 6.5mm Scenar at ~2,975 fps MV.

Les, not even proper math,really need to do a fuller plot of shot,but:

185 30 scenars @2600 (bc 521) 200 zero, drops 197 " at 800,and 375" at 1000.

So that's about 177" in the last 200 y, or roughly 18 inches per 20y (average,and it's a curve,so more nearer the end.)

Would the backstop be about 20y behind the gong? If so,bullets are passing about 18 inches over the gong,with some allowance for gong relative to sigher size,

while pretty close low,on sighter (given Laurie's point that exact POI is indiscernible.)

Does that fit with Laurie's' data-only his aimed low shots had more success?

Probably all broccoli,anyhow.

g

Archived