.204 Ruger - Communal wisdom please

Hi all

I'm that close to joining the .204 club but I just want some more info and advice before taking the plunge....

Primarily there have been one or two comments at RFD's I use about the availability of loaded rounds and subsequent availability of heads. One RFD said that when Viking originally brought in .204's it was a year before they could be proofed 'cos they couldn't get hold of ammo. Surely that situation has changed. How are you guys finding it? Also what would be the best loaded rounds to go for in as much as what are the best cases? Federal, Hornady, Remington...?

What mods are you guys using? I prefer reflex mods but I'm open to advice.

Cheers

Clive

are you buy a factory .204 or having a custom one built, most factory ones 1:12 and some dont like the 40grs bullets, so limits you to 32grs, custom built then a 1:11 will shoot both the 32grs and the 40gr bullets, and there seems tobe no shortage of 40grs bullets..

i shoot a 20cal 20 tactical so all but the brass is the same, ive found no shortage of any componates, brass may be about the hardest thing in my mind, but nosler all so do a custom brass if you want to pay for it...hornady and winchester both produce brass for the .204 the last time i had one, thats 3years ago..a few of the lads on these forums who have shot or have the .204 have shot the 39s and 40gr bullets, and found that the high BC that are quoted are not and are more like .240, not the .287.

sir-slots-alot did a side by side comparison using a .204 and .223 both shooting 40gr bullest and they shadowed, nothing in it he said...

atb

tony

A lot of rubbish talked in gun shops is my answer :rolleyes:

Ammo and reloading bits readily available in all good gun shops and I'd probably just find out a factory offering your forthcoming rifle likes and buy 100 rounds keeping the brass for reloading at your leisure in the future

As mods go you'll get different opinions but I quite like the Hardy Gen4 calibre specific or the Aimsport equivalent

Thanks Tony, I had the Tikka T3 Super Varmint in mind. Going .223 would cut out the 6 month order period for a .204 but that's 1:12 too. Would that be the same problem with 40gr bullets? The other option is a 1:8 version but again that's 6 months from order.

Cheers

C

One of the only cals I have, that I can find ammo for without any problems. Expect it will soon change. My tikka loves 39 BKs but not 40gr a max

Your only up the road from me so if you want to shoot one pm me

Thanks for the offer tisme, nearer the time I'll take you up on your offer.

Cheers

C

yes the .223 1:12 will shoot the 40grs 22cal bullets, upto 55grs... its a shame about having to wait, could you not find acheap donar action and have one built..the tikka m595 are a good donar you can pick them up for cira £300 then your not limited to twist or barrel length, not sure but i think the tikka factory option is 20".

just read the question about mods, ive heard that DM80 makes good cal sepcific reflex mods for a good price, i might get one yet, but my SL5 ase utra seems ok so far......

Yea buy a 223 and stop trying to be different

Then dump that black powder and buy a nitro 7mm :P

Thanks for a great day on the 1000yrd mate, hope to see you up here for some foxing soon grass is still short.

V

the countryman of derby are showing tikka' and sako 204 in stock.204 is a great cal my and my buddy have them ,not had to much bother getting bullets .i use 39 bk and my buddy is using 40 vmax both custom barrels 1/10 twist.go for it you won't be disappointed

the countryman of derby are showing tikka' and sako 204 in stock.204 is a great cal my and my buddy have them ,not had to much bother getting bullets .i use 39 bk and my buddy is using 40 vmax both custom barrels 1/10 twist.go for it you won't be disappointed

what sound mod are you using PC? ive a SL5.223 cal specific on my .20cal its very compact, but if there is something that would be more quiet at the gun end id be interested.....

atb

tony

what sound mod are you using PC? ive a SL5.223 cal specific on my .20cal its very compact, but if there is something that would be more quiet at the gun end id be interested.....

atb

tony

i'm using a pes t 12 i think it is.long mod on a long barrel but it works and i don't think i dare chage it even though i know it would be fine

Yea buy a 223 and stop trying to be different

Then dump that black powder and buy a nitro 7mm :P

Thanks for a great day on the 1000yrd ,, hope to see you up here for some foxing soon grass is still short.

V

You know me Viv... Never follow the crowd :D And I'm dropping one of the Sharps to fund this.... Be interesting to try the 50/90 on a fox. That 710grn lead bullet would make a bit of a mess :wacko:

C

You know me Viv... Never follow the crowd :D And I'm dropping one of the Sharps to fund this.... Be interesting to try the 50/90 on a fox. That 710grn lead bullet would make a bit of a mess :wacko:

C

Yea but we better try it in the name of science.

V

I've got a 204& 223 with a 1in 8 twist both great but the 204 wins out shooting the 32g, as so much flatter . My first 204 only worked with Rems My new one shoots the new Hornadays. But I think I've found a twist, I've just tried shortening, the standard Hornadays in the press& its tightened , thier grouping. Reloading using Rel 10x 26.3 & 32 g Vmax with once fired Rem & Hornaday brass. Using mine for night shooting cos its so flat . I'm in Kent so also private message me if you want to have a shoot.Same goes too Tisme.

A lot of rubbish talked in gun shops is my answer :rolleyes:

Ammo and reloading bits readily available in all good gun shops and I'd probably just find out a factory offering your forthcoming rifle likes and buy 100 rounds keeping the brass for reloading at your leisure in the future

As mods go you'll get different opinions but I quite like the Hardy Gen4 calibre specific or the Aimsport equivalent

I'll happily disagree with you on some counts. I can get bullets aplenty but I had to wait 3 months to get some brass -and that mail order. Two-oh-four is a very difficult casing to get in the US right now. Some times I see loaded ammo but it's very expensive. Winchester has suspended production as has (so one site states) Remington. Nosler is expensive as hell and also somewhat scarce, and Hornady is hit and miss. I have a 204 and once this 100 pcs of brass is worn out it's becoming a 20 Tactical to get away from this nighmare.~Andrew

PS: Was I doing a custom, it would be the 20 Practical or 20 Tactical, hands down.

Plenty of factory fodder still available over here Andrew-yes its expensive but all ammo is this side of the pond so its not any more expensive than a lot of calibre's.Same goes for reloading components where its no different story than any other 20 cal (same primers/powder/bullets).Not sure about the brass availability but purchasing a few hundred factory round and reloading from then would usually last the average UK sporting shooter for years

Agree with you on custom.I've got a 20br & 20Tac and theres plenty of parent brass available for both

Plenty of factory fodder still available over here Andrew-yes its expensive but all ammo is this side of the pond so its not any more expensive than a lot of calibre's.Same goes for reloading components where its no different story than any other 20 cal (same primers/powder/bullets).Not sure about the brass availability but purchasing a few hundred factory round and reloading from then would usually last the average UK sporting shooter for years

That's interesting that you should say that, where are you seeing all of this factory ammo? There is nothing available in the Home Counties or East Anglia. The ammo I had on order from Edgar's through my local RFD didn't arrive on either of the last two shipments and I have been told categorically by Edgar's that there is a shortage of the ammo!

Have now started to reload for the rifle!

Having a bit of a 20 cal fetish I was considering a 204 to add to the collection a month or two ago.Did a bit of digging for factory ammo with the intention of getting a couple of hundred rounds and found three retailers that I regularly deal with all had Hornady in stock at the time.Whether thats changed now I don't know but Edgar Bros isn't the only Hornady distributor

Having a bit of a 20 cal fetish I was considering a 204 to add to the collection a month or two ago.Did a bit of digging for factory ammo with the intention of getting a couple of hundred rounds and found three retailers that I regularly deal with all had Hornady in stock at the time.Whether thats changed now I don't know but Edgar Bros isn't the only Hornady distributor

Well think on this. The powder and primer shortages you guys are experiencing hit here first -well before they began in the UK. If I'm having a hard time getting 204 now, what will it be like for UK shooters in the future?~Andrew

PS: I just looked and Midway USA has some in stock. Other larger distributors are still showing a blank. I can't wait to get my barrel redone to a Tactical: .223 brass is everywhere. No more standing on line for 204 brass.

The situation certainly has changed now; mainly due to the fact that Hornady stopped loading the Varmint Express product in .204.

Who else is a distributor for Hornady in the UK? Hornady list Edgars as the exclusive distributor over here.

The only .204 ammo available from importers at the moment is Fiocchi. No remmy,Hornady or fedral. .223 ammo Take your pick. .223 rifles the same every major rifle maker makes them. Why limit your self with lack of ammo and rifles when a 223 with a 40gr bullet is all but the same? I know there is those that will say a 20 cal bullet will drift 0.5 moa less at what ever distance, The truth is 99.9% of shooters will not notice the difference.

Archived