SGA Glen Tilt

longbow3

The Scottish Gamekeepers Association Rifle Shoot was held last Saturday and was well attended with 36 competitors making up 12 teams.

Here are the results

1st Bradley Bourner 248 points

2nd Steven Fraser 237 points

3rd Ali Cameron Mackintosh 222 points

Team places

1st Glen Tromie - 657 points

2nd Cairn Leith - 536

3rd Glamis - 506

4th Dupplin - 468

5th Border Rievers - 430

6th Lead Lobbers - 423

7th London - 415

8th Tomatin - 404

9th The Three Musketeers - 403

10th Good, Bad & the Ugly - 401

11th Dee - 384

12th The Three Stoogies - 184

Well done to them all on the trickiest rifle range in the UK

Well done all and I certainly agree with you about the range, but what a glorious place.

What was the course of fire?

Nice to see Brad take first place.

Hellish tricky range to shoot, well done to all.

Nice to see Brad take first place.

Hellish tricky range to shoot, well done to all.

It was a benign day and the rain stayed off. Bradley and Stephen shot very well, but the std seemed to have gone up from 2013 with I think 6 flies being hit at 400 yds.

Regards

JCS

It was a benign day and the rain stayed off. Bradley and Stephen shot very well, but the std seemed to have gone up from 2013 with I think 6 flies being hit at 400 yds.

Regards

JCS

Thoroughly enjoyed the day, and got myself a nicely embroidered cap for hitting the fly! :) Very fortunate with the weather, would have been pretty miserable if we had the rain/midges that we got after finishing up during the day instead! Looking forward to next year.....

The course of fire was:

All taken from the prone position

100 yards- 5 shots at circles(stoats) that decrease in size

5 shots off the elbows at the black roe deer silhouette with invisible scoring rings

200 yards- 3 shots at a 3 inch square box

5 shots at the black silhouette roe deer again

300 yards- 2 shots at a very small crow target. Jay/Jackdaw size

5 shots at scoring rings

400 yards- 5 shots at scoring rings with Fly bull.

Trickiest target of the day was probably the 300 yard crow, where a slight cross wind came into play, the 400 was more straight forward than normal with a fairly predictable tail wind.

Any one interested in taking part next year? get in touch

Hi yes I shot very poor or that's how I felt. It doesn't help to find I was 3/ 4" out at the start so lost points straight off & I seriously need to practice with no rear bag & off my elbows. The one good thing was I did hit the fly at 400yrs this year as I missed it last year by 1/4" so a hit was what I really wanted to hit this year & done it. I also noticed a lot of PM2 scopes this year among the set ups. It's got me wanting one even more no as I like schmidt scopes but I can't complain on my nightforce scopes to a point.

Was my first ever foray into shooting over 100 yds & dialling in

Got told on the Monday afore so panic to load & test a load of target ammo

Then make up a heap & check em again

Then out to 400yds after downloading bullet flight onto my phone

Then shown roughly what to do

I did say if I'm last then fair enough anything else a bonus

28th out of 36 I think there was on my 1st outing

I'm happy .....ish

I fluffed up the 100 & 200 yd stages afore I realized rifle was 3/4" low from start despite checking g night before

Once figured that out I did better on 300 & 400 yd ..... Missed the fly by 1/2"

Enjoyed it ..... Loved seeing some of the rifles on show ..

But know I could have done better

I can see now how addictive this mid & long range stuff can get

Paul

The course of fire was:

All taken from the prone position

100 yards- 5 shots at circles(stoats) that decrease in size

5 shots off the elbows at the black roe deer silhouette with invisible scoring rings

200 yards- 3 shots at a 3 inch square box

5 shots at the black silhouette roe deer again

300 yards- 2 shots at a very small crow target. Jay/Jackdaw size

5 shots at scoring rings

400 yards- 5 shots at scoring rings with Fly bull.

What's allowed by way of bipods, rests, slings, jackets and so on (if anything?)

You are able to use bipod or sandbag(bring your own) for all the elements except obviously for the "off the elbows" at the 100 metres.

Mike is hoping to increase the number of teams for next year, we probably have the capacity to go up to 16 teams.

We have already had a couple of this years teams asking if they can bring 2 teams next year!!

Nearly everyone brought a bottle or a prize with them and I think I am right in saying that everyone left with a prize this year.

The team from London shot for the first time and even produced a handful of prizes when they arrived. we are very grateful for their generosity and commitment to take part despite the obvious distance.

We also held a raffle consisting of 10 prizes and made £230 for the Gamekeepers Welfare Trust

That's how generous we scots are.

Please be aware of the following rule for next year:

Anyone interested in taking part next year should firstly make contact with event organiser Mike Ritchie mikeritchie01@aol.co.uk. Then to book your place you will be required to pay a 50% deposit directly to the SGA office in Perth by the 30th June 2015.

This change is to aid registration and verifying membership/insurance status of all participants

For those of you who are not members of the SGA(shame on you) you must ensure that you provide valid proof of insurance. i.e Basc/BDS membership

Failure to do so will mean you cant take part.

Ray

• 9 months later...

Archived