AICS

Guest fern

Hi guys, hope this is not to stupid a question.

I recently dropped my rem SPS .22/250 into a AICS stock, at 100m 5 shots are leaving one jagged hole,which im well impressed with,but when i tried it at 200 it went out to around 6 or 7 inches.

Question being is this down to me or are there other factors, these where shot on the same day,same ammo, with no obvious change in weather conditions.

Regards FERN

Did you return to 100m and go back to a tight group?

If yes, you are doing something wildly inconsistent when you are shooting the 200m group (such as resting on something different).

If no, your scope has come loose (mounts) or broken.

Did you return to 100m and go back to a tight group?

If yes, you are doing something wildly inconsistent when you are shooting the 200m group (such as resting on something different).

If no, your scope has come loose (mounts) or broken.

Thanks for replies guys, scope is a swaro Z6 2-12x50, yes barrel does get hot with mod on.

Yes did return to 100 and it shot the same tight group, shooting off bipod for all shots.

Does this mean simply bad shooting at the greater distance ;):(:(

Thanks for replies guys, scope is a swaro Z6 2-12x50, yes barrel does get hot with mod on.

Yes did return to 100 and it shot the same tight group, shooting off bipod for all shots.

Does this mean simply bad shooting at the greater distance :(:(:(

hi harry

have you run some rounds throw a crono???

ATB

Colin ;)

Fromthe sounds of it, your trigger pull or wind reading is awray.

Especially after before and after tight groups at 100.

How close is the length of pull from your old stock to the new ???

My Thinkin is your havent gotten quite used to the new stock yet.

And your stil be lookin for your rifle/ body's "sweet spot ",

You may be makin contact with you shoulder in the same place,but your

cheek and stock contact may not be consistant time after time.

Practice more often at 200 w/ it and make a more concious effort to

do everything the same.

What kind of 200yrd groups were you getting before the stock change?

Did you bed the action to the new stock??

Are you sure your not canting??

Just a few things to look at/think about

308Panther

Thanks for replies guys, never bedded the action just dropped it straight in, should i??? Never seriously shot out to 200 before its only because the rifle is grouping so well thought i would give it a try having read what you guys get up to. Obviously more to it than meets the eye. So its probably pilot error ;)

Thanks again FERN

Does this mean simply bad shooting at the greater distance :lol::lol::D

6-7in groups are huge at 200m; particularly if you are routinely sub half inch at 100m.

Something drastically different is taking place between the 2 occasions.

Don't bother chasing down equipment faults. If you can shoot one hole groups at 100m routinely, there's nothing wrong with any of your kit.

It's either something to do with you, how you're holding the weapon or what you're resting the weapon on.

You: You'll know from a mirror check whether you are simply getting nervous and going to pieces at the longer distance :rolleyes: . If you aren't then it's something else.

Position and Hold Is your 0.5in 100m group always on zero....or one time you fire the group it's a little off....next time, it's still a great group, but it's moved a little again...if so, your position and hold from occasion to occasion are suspect.

What the weapon is resting on Are you firing from the same firing point on both occasions? Is the bipod resting on the same surfaces? (such as mud vs concrete) Is anything touching the barrel?

(and, of course, was your moderator tight for all groups?!)

That last point was a good one brown dog and quite often forgotten or overlooked.

It once happened to me, checking zero at 100 x2 shots spot on noticed 3rd up and right so fired a 4th again up and right but a bit more. Kept going to see the pattern forming and it formed a bit like an upside down comma with the 2 at the bottom and an up and right arc. Total group about 3 inch :rolleyes:

Nipped the mod tight and back to 4 shot 5/8ths group. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar problem, and was left wondering if it could have been anything to do with having my barrel shortend to bring a T8 moderator up close to the stock?

What would chronograghing the rounds tell us in relation to such a problem?

Nell

Archived