Collet die for a pipsqueak mouse gun

srvet

Hi Chaps

I have a 17 remington that is giving me a few runout headaches. Basically the cases after sizing have up to 10 thou runout on the necks which corresponds to an awful lot when the bullets are seated. I can see the bullet tips wobbling when I roll the rounds across the table!!

The rifle shows lots of promise with some exceptionally tight groups using 25 grain Berger match bullets followed by an unexplained wayward shot. My thinking is that reducing the runout cannot hurt. I am currently using a FL RCBS sizing die and have neck turned the cases over 2/3 the circumference but am thinking about giving a Lee Collet die a whirl. I normally come out in hives when I think about Lee stuff but would like your collective thoughts on whether this is a good idea or not!

Cheers

S

I can't comment on the 17, but Lee Collet sizers have a very good reputation, and I've always had very good results with them in various larger calibre cartridges. Many US long-range F-Class shooters use the Collet die as their primary sizer, as does Bob Pitcairn the Canadian International TR shooter who uses the .223 at 1,000 yards with 90s.

The downside of the Collet, as with all neck-only sizers is that you'll quickly find cases become a crush fit in the chamber thanks to shoulder movement. The US / Canadian LR match users employ a Collet die on the neck plus a body die or shoulder bump die to keep this issue under control. Looking at the .17 Rem and comparing it to the .223 Rem, it appears they are identical in the shoulder area with a 23-deg angle shoulder and same body width just below. So a .223 Rem body die or Forster Bushing-Bump die without a bushing should work. Expense and two jobs instead of one though.

On the other hand, I've often seen it said, but not proved it myself that the Lee Collet is good at straightening out of true necks. So, you could still use your existing FL sizer die every second or third loading followed by the collet. (........ or just get a decent sizer die, as your present one doesn't appear to be much good!)

I have been using collet dies snce they first appeared on the market. I like them and use them for many chamberings. One unspecified use is lightly sizing case necks and then using a Forster neck reamer to take a skim cut from the neck. I do this when reforming military 308 to 7-08 and when reforming 300 Winchester Magnum to 308 Norma Magnum. Works like a charm.~Andrew

Thanks to you both, really helpful, I have ordered a collet die to try to iron out the crooked necks and will see how I get on. Would be nice to see how concentric rounds shoot!

I use a Lee Collet Die for my 17 Rem, well, 6,5x55 and 308W as well.

I was put on to them by Andrew's cuz Jay B more than a few years ago.

They work just fine, especially in conjunction with Redding body die or regular FL die as mentioned earlier.

I ordered mine from Titan Reloading in the US.

What runout do you have with cases which haven't been neck turned?

If you want to post me a few of your cases, I'll size them in my FL die and send them back with pleasure to see if the issue is with your FL die.

What runout do you have with cases which haven't been neck turned?If you want to post me a few of your cases, I'll size them in my FL die and send them back with pleasure to see if the issue is with your FL die.

Thanks, I may take you up on your kind offer. Collet die is due next week so I'll try a few cases and report back

Cheers guys

I found a few non neck turned cases last night. Runout was between 4 and 10 thou on the necks. The neck turned cases seemed a little but not much better, sub 8 thou but few below 2 thou. I tried sizing with and without the expander ball present and with the decapping rod floating (ie loose) but there was no consistent pattern other than all had poor concentricity! Collet die should be with me next week so watch this space. If this works I will get a Redding body die as suggested.

Appreciate your help chaps!

Try removing the sizing button ?

Ive a feeling the cases are being oversized with the forces imparted by the button and subsequent resize is causing the issue.

The fired brass - (unsized fresh from the rifle) whats the runout like on that - this will give you an indication of how good the chamber is or at least if the problem is in the reloading process or firing cycle.

I tried without the size button but it was no better. The trouble is the RP brass is crap to start with and I haven't been able to get it straight. I have already binned the RCBS seating die and got a Forster seating die so will soon have three seaters to try when the Lee one turns up. If the collet die will give me straight necks before loading then I can check which seater works best. Once I have concentric ammo then I can see if the flyers disappear and also tell if the concentricity of the case goes to hell when I fire the round. My gut feeling is that the brass is partly at fault as the quality is definitely poor compared to Lapua cases in other cals. I guess it is possible that I have a full house with crap cases, size die and a duff chamber. I guess I'm trying to eliminate one thing at a time. Would be a real shame if the chamber is at fault as it shoots some excellent groups with the exception of the odd flyers that remain unexplained.

• 1 month later...

Update... The chamber is 8 thou out of true and with 16 thou of excessive headspace. Truly the worst custom rebarreling job ever!! Big thanks to Ronin for helping get it sorted!

No, not new but a secondhand semi custom I bought last year. I was a bit wary of the 17 rem for many years but it truly is a fantastic round that kills corvids, rabbits and foxes instantly. There is no perceived recoil which is weird at first. It is nice and quiet with an appropriate mod and suits my needs very well indeed. Can't wait till it's back!

Update... The chamber is 8 thou out of true and with 16 thou of excessive headspace. Truly the worst custom rebarreling job ever!! Big thanks to Ronin for helping get it sorted!

That it too bad. Years ago when I packed up my gunsmithing business and moved to Montana, I got a hold of a friend in New Mexico -a reputable? barrel man stock maker- and asked him to rebarrel a Remington 700 to .222 Remington (straight bull barrel) to use as a cast bullet bench rest gun while my equipment was in storage waiting for the new shop. He did the worst chambering job I have ever seen. The headspace was fine but the chamber was rough and way over-sized. When I called him on it he was angry. I redid the job myself completely removing the old chamber and threads. Never spoke to him again.~Andrew

Archived