Budget/beginners rangefinder and windmeter suggestions?

Get a basic Kestrel windmeter-you do not need/won't use the all singing/dancing atmospheric detail ones-Kestrel 1000 does the main job-wind speed-equally well-it's the same mechanism-and you can get a used one for sub £50.(remember too,wind to/at the target will probably differ,and £600 won't tell you that either).

Ditto laser rangefinder-a used Leica,eg,will easily go to 700+,and be around £250.There are cheaper options,but not by much,with corresponding lower performance.

Gbal

Kestrel windmeter - get one that does Density Altitude though

Bushnell Fusion Rangefinder bino's

Have yet to try anything to beat either of them.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also in the market for my first rangefinder. As usual I propbably already know the answer = spend as much as you can afford, right?

Then again Im tight and want the earth for nothing! :blush:

I want to get into what I consider long range stuff, in the region of 300yds I would guess, mainly for crows and rabbits. If Im honest Ive never seriously tried to shoot much further than fox to 180yds and I can range that close enough with my eyes in daylight or lamplight. So to go out to 300, maybe 400yds how good a rangefinder do I really need?

Are all of these Hawke £150 things rubbish? a friend recons his LRF900 is as good as another lads Leupold but then again maybe the Leupold crap?

So my question is, would spending a few hundred pounds or less be adequate to begin with or is the stuff in that range not functional enough to bother with?

I have a tasco lr500 you can have for £80 posted, ranges 'stop' signs to 1400+ yds, deer to 600ish with reliable results, I'm only selling as bought a Swarovski one. Comes with all the box, soft case, instructions etc. it's a cheap way in, and to be honest, if I wasn't shooting MOA gongs to stupid distances, and didn't get the swaro's for a good deal, I'd keep hold of them

Kestrel windmeter - get one that does Density Altitude though

Bushnell Fusion Rangefinder bino's

Have yet to try anything to beat either of them.

+1 on the Bushnell Fusion ARC 1600's. Great bit of kit.

Steve.

Kestrel anemometer

Swarowski Laser Guide

Used both since I started extended range shooting.

Also use written drop tables, forget using phone or exbal systems in cold weather / rain, batteries fail.

Learn your drop and windage

Use known (tested) drop data

Archived