Which .22 C/Fire

Hi Guys....new to this forum so apologies if i'm going over old ground !

I've got a spare .22CF slot on my ticket and i'm looking at building a .22br. I like the idea of light recoil and being able to "see the show" . Previously had a .204 and this was excellent for light recoil.

I was wondering how the .22br compares to the .204 for recoil ???

Also, i'm not adverse to a wildcat cartridge and was wondering if anyone had a .22X47mm and if so how it shot ???

i run both 204 and 22 br,the br has a little more recoil but not worth a second thought very little in it and you will still see your hits (and misses)

one day i might combine the two and have a 20 br

to be honest i killed just as much with my 233 when i had one ,but i find the br alot more accurate

strange as my br is my old 223 with the chamber cut off and rechambered to 22 br

when i had the 22br it was because plod would'nt let me have a 6 mm br for fox.it depends on what use its for ,i've never shot a 6 mm br but i think i'd be sticking with that if it was me

Thanks for the replies so far guys.......

Porkchop, i was thinking seriously about a 20br as i had a 20 spare on my ticket, but the case prep put me off as i think its a two stage necking down from 6br.....

Anyone out there shooting a 22x47mm ?? What is the case prep like and how about reamers/dies ??

Cheers

yes a bit more case prep,wouldn't think it would be a big issue just another bush and a bit more trimming

i like the sound of the 22x47,understand it to be a barrel burner .would be fun though

I think i'm looking for the holy grail........a very fast flat shooting cartridge that doesn't recoil too much !

I think i'll probably end up going with a 22br which will give me most of what i want.....(accuracy and low recoil,while still fast and flat).

Any ideas on the case prep for a 22x47 ?

Regards

Think you're probably right......like I said ,think i'm looking for the Holy Grail !

Got rid of the .204 because although it shot 32gr bullets well, it wouldn't group with 39/40gr.

Want something that will shoot larger bullets, up to 50/60gr which sent me looking at .22 and I've got a medium size action that would suit the 22br/6.5x47 case and not the .204......

Thanks porkchop.....SteveK is a mate and has built me 3 rifles also. He'll be doing the conversion work.......think 22br will be the easy choice as reamers and dies are readily available and I know Steve definitely has that reamer.

Was just curious to hear a few other points of view on the 22x47 and whether the extra costs of reamer/cases/dies/powder would be worth it, and what extra fps would be possible from that case compared to the 22br ??

Regards..

Thanks porkchop.....SteveK is a mate and has built me 3 rifles also. He'll be doing the conversion work.......think 22br will be the easy choice as reamers and dies are readily available and I know Steve definitely has that reamer.

Was just curious to hear a few other points of view on the 22x47 and whether the extra costs of reamer/cases/dies/powder would be worth it, and what extra fps would be possible from that case compared to the 22br ??

Regards..

The other issue to bear in mind is if you want to feed from a mag, some actions/mag combos do not work very well with the 6BR case.

I spoke to a couple of smiths about my Surgeon action with AICS mags and none could guarantee it would feed, unless somebody knows different that is :)

Hence I am also interested in the 22x47 but it looks like it could be a bit of a PITA so I might go for a 6mm instead, either 6XC, 6x47 or 6 Super LR

Regards..

when you see steve tell him gary from chesterfield said or8,top bloke is steve he did my br

The other issue to bear in mind is if you want to feed from a mag, some actions/mag combos do not work very well with the 6BR case.

I spoke to a couple of smiths about my Surgeon action with AICS mags and none could guarantee it would feed, unless somebody knows different that is :)

Hence I am also interested in the 22x47 but it looks like it could be a bit of a PITA so I might go for a 6mm instead, either 6XC, 6x47 or 6 Super LR

my 22 br feeds well from aics mag,just put a 10mm filler in the back to push the case forward

Will do....probably seeing him back end of this week/weekend.

What you running through your br....

Feeding won't be an issue as it's on a Stiller Diamondback single shot.....right bolt/left port.

53 vmax at the moment but going to change over to the 55 sbk.steve gave me a load for the 50 vmax with 32 gr of vit 135 dont remember the length off the top of my head,needless to say they worked no load development at all

not seen steve for ages will have to pop up but he always cost's me money (likes to set little acorns does steve :lol: )

Have you spoken to Steve as I am sure he built either a 20/47 or a 22/47 for a mate of mine. My mate thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread early doors but then it stopped grouping so well. Unfortunately said mate is on holiday for 2 weeks. As I'm typing this I think it was a .20x47

Archived