Which .22 C/Fire

Spoke to him a while ago about any number of 20cal versions including a 20x47. As you know he's a .20 supporter.

Think i've decided against a .20 as i want to shoot slightly heavier bullets, in the 50/60grn range for slightly extended distances.

Not aware of anyone who has a 22X47 and wondered what kind of fps benefits this case would give against the 22br case ? And what other considerations there might be using the 47mm case.....barrel life/throat wear/case prep etc.

I think i'm looking for the holy grail........a very fast flat shooting cartridge that doesn't recoil too much !

You need a 20BR then !!. if you want 3800 with 50gr bullets ( not that they are currently available) and 4000 ish with 39gr SBKs.

I run a 20Br and a 6PPC which has a slightly lower capacity than the BR case. They is practically no difference between the two recoil wise.

Problem with high velocity is the extra volume of powder needed to get that extra 500fps has a dramatic effect of the barrel life.

Friend of mine runs a 22BR, nice round and rifle, he takes crows out to 500 yards with it, on paper it shoots .3 usually, he runs it at about 3400 from memory.

The rifle was previously a 22.250AI, accuracy then was relatively poor in comparison.

Best accuracy is achieved using single shot actions, they are more rigid. The BR case does not by and large feed well from a magazine.

A

A

Thanks porkchop.....SteveK is a mate and has built me 3 rifles also. He'll be doing the conversion work.......think 22br will be the easy choice as reamers and dies are readily available and I know Steve definitely has that reamer.

Was just curious to hear a few other points of view on the 22x47 and whether the extra costs of reamer/cases/dies/powder would be worth it, and what extra fps would be possible from that case compared to the 22br ??

Regards..

Rob-ask steve to chamber you a .22br with the reamer he used on his nesika/lazzeroni i have the rifle and its a dream to shoot had it for 4yrs now .im sure you would have to neck turn the 22x47 and get dies to order[or use blanks] as for fps gain you will burn more powder but you could use a high bc, bullet win some lose some.

Archived