.17 Hornet - what's the opinion ??

My lamping buddy uses one all the time. I've got to say it's quite impressive. Bucks the wind way better than the hmr ever could. 300 yard I'm not sure but 250 Definalty. Quid a round I think is quite steep.

He uses a savage and to be honest it's crap. Bolt lifts easy and if it's not down properly it will still fire, making a small dent in the primer but no bang.

He also has the hardy gen 4 mod on and that is amazing. There isn't much in it noise wise between the hmr and hornet with that mod on.

Trig, If I was rolling my own and shooting enough to offset the cost of the loading kit, with increased accuracy, I would got 20 Tac. Had a 204 which was an absolute pig. I know Si-Snipe is a fan of 17Rem, which does appeal, though limited factory ammo.

204 a pig ??? i must have had a hmr to long ,i thought 5p groups at 100 good enough :lol: .hey if your not feeling a 204 your not feeling it.17rem is supposed to be a barrel burner so that and noise and economy are all plus for the hornet.i have never seen a factory 17 cz or savage that floats my boat.with tikka made one.

Trig, I paid for a blueprinted .204 which would not shoot, yet had factory sticks of different cals which have delivered outstanding groups. If Anschutz or Weihrauch in the HW66 Jagd Match did .17H , i would be more tempted.

Each to their own and we all have an opinion. However, in your case it sounds more like a bad Gunsmith than a bad calibre.

On an average day I can shoot .5" groups with my bog standard CZ 527 American in .204 Ruger. On a very good day it shoot's .2" and .3".....

Jamie

I have run a 17AH so pretty similar to 17HH for about 4 years.

Using 20gr Vmax its a great crow and maggie round, 200 yards is as far as I go with it but it would go further in ideal conditions with a skilled wind reader. The 20gr bullet is though NOT a fox bullet unless you can get a clear head shot. I have lost 2 foxes with it, one I found a week or so later. Loading with 25s should improve things, it is not far behind the 17 Fireball speedwise and that with 25s is an ok fox round given reasonable placement.

dave hancock.

You must have been very unlucky to get a 204 that would not shoot, mind you I have been there myself with a 22.250 some years ago that would got go below 3moa ( three not point three). Manufacturer, a well known European brand said it was a stalking caliber and that level of accuracy was acceptable !!. Reloading and setting the bullets 20 thou further out sorted that one.

A

I have the cz 17hornet with a hardy gen 4 mod, have had for about six months now and find it very accurate and quiet, I use it mainly for fox and find it quite capable up to 150yds, ammo is a bit steep at £22 a box of 25.

• 3 months later...

A work colleague has a dedicated .17 hornet rig, he swore by it. Until he hit a fox in the head at 150yards, and wounded it.

The next day he chopped it in for a .204 Rem.

They see. To be good for the rabbits and crows, and occasional close fox. But to be honest, I could live with the HMR stuff if that's what I was using it for.

I had a bad batch of Hornady VMAX once and moved over to CCI and there rounds were very good no split cases at all.

Now I have a .22LR for Rabbits, and it's awesome

Dont know the UK prises but in Denmak money i can reload 2 17Hornet for the price og 1 17HMR (£18.5/50). But then again that is made up for plenty with rifle prises: 17HMR Marlin 917 = €300ish and a 17 Hornet CZ527 Varmint is @£840.

And then there is the fact that a 17 Hornet will do at 200yds what the 17HMR does at the muzzle.

Has anyone got any further thoughts on this caliber?

From the testing I did with a Savage 17 H - in a 5-9 mph cross wind- it is certainly affected by wind at 300 yrds.

The bullets were getting blown everywhere - The grouping looked like a shot gun pattern

Personally I didn't think it was up to the job - accuracy wise at that range in wind.

Great for 200 yrds though -Or pick your days for stretching its legs.

I would ( and have ) gone 17 rem if 300 yrds shooting is on the menu.

S

Great tool to have in the cabinet! Love mine! Blows pants off 17 hmr. .

Reload mine so cheap as chips!!

I think that is the right idea, its never going to be a 204 or a 223 but to judge it for what it is and how much of an improvement it is over the HMR.

17HH is certainly NOT a 300 yard round. I have taken rabbits/crows etc to just over 200 yards in good conditions but a small bullet like this requires precise placement for optimum effect. I am not personally happy with it as an authorative fox round either using 20gr Vmax. I have lost two in the last couple of years, both hit it the front bib. I did find one 50 yards away but the other vanished into some well grown rape. 25s may be better, especially HPs but I have yet to shoot any foxes with them, no confidence to take the rifle at night. I run a driven game shoot, I want dead not wounded.

Any wind much then if foxes are possibly on the menu I take my 20 Cal or 6mm.

But as a carry rifle against crows and maggies then it is superb, moderates easily as well.

A

Archived