Value of lb of varget

caerhays sniper

I have an unopened pot of it here in my cupboard that somebody wants and was just wondering what its worth? i know stocks are pretty much out and i cant actually remember what i paid for it as my bill was for several things at once in the shop.cheers Jim

Last few tubs cost me £48 each at my local RFD!

You do live out on one of the outer reaches of our universe ;-) and to be fair mine was bought before the shortages.

To be honest I don't use it I picked 2 up awhile back and my friend had 1 and this 1 is the other. It's now going to a fellow keeper so will be put to good use! My smith said today none till next year. He did find a pot of h4350 there which I'm sure will be gone in no time!I'm a vit user and powder seems to be ready and available 99% of the time

If your gunna be at bisley (or know of someone who will be) this sunday or next weekend i will take the varget!

Varget is one of those powders that have a very wide range of applications and which moreover seem to be just perfectly suited to some applications. Whilst there are exceptions amongst individual rifles and barrels, it's widely recognised as being perfectly suited to 6mm BR with mid and heavyweight bullets, likewise the improved 6 BRs - DX, BRX, and Dasher. Probably most forum members with 6.5X47L rifles will say the same thing too, although my smaller cased 6.5s all do better with N150 and 4350 class powders.

Also, because of its wide application, many people are using the powder in three or four different cartridges and several different bullet weights. Having to redo a whole bunch of load combinations at the same time is potentially very bad news for a lot of people.

Varget is one of those powders that have a very wide range of applications and which moreover seem to be just perfectly suited to some applications.....

Also, because of its wide application, many people are using the powder in three or four different cartridges and several different bullet weights. Having to redo a whole bunch of load combinations at the same time is potentially very bad news for a lot of people.

I use it for .223, .243 & .308. Would probably use it in .260 too if the rifle build had been finished when Varget was readily available.

It throws reliably, is relatively temperature stable, burns fairly clean, works well in a wide range of calibres and it even smells nice! What's not to like?

I use it for .223, .243 & .308. Would probably use it in .260 too if the rifle build had been finished when Varget was readily available.

It throws reliably, is relatively temperature stable, burns fairly clean, works well in a wide range of calibres and it even smells nice! What's not to like?

Funny, I've never been a fan. I've tried with many cartridge's over the years and there was always another powder that performed better. I have even been known to use it as lawn fertilizer.

ATB

I have even been known to use it as lawn fertilizer.

If only your crystal ball had been clearer, you could have taken your 'fertilizer', stuck it in a cupboard for a few years and sold it now to somebody who's desperate. A good investment spread over the grass! :( :(

If only your crystal ball had been clearer, you could have taken your 'fertilizer', stuck it in a cupboard for a few years and sold it now to somebody who's desperate. A good investment spread over the grass! :( :(

I know , but then if I ever find that crystal ball I'll be rich enough to buy the powder company. :D

Hees got a Varget tree growing :lol::lol::lol:

Add it to the list, it's even good as fertiliser ;-)

Varget has worked well for everything I have tried it in.

It may not give 100% case fill and not appear as optimum burn in quickload but careful load development has always produced very accurate and consistent loads for me, usually at modest velocities rather than scorching hot loads.

Hoping that it will be cheap when it does reappear due to everyone currently finding alternatives.

I'm reading this with interest as I have about 7lb left of an 8lb tub (case and powder weigh 7lb 15oz). Bought 6 months ago before I purchased my .308 Now developed a load with Ramshot Tac. Want to raise some money for a new scope. So first of all anyone know how much an empty 8lb tub weighs!

Cheers, Andy

I'm reading this with interest as I have about 7lb left of an 8lb tub (case and powder weigh 7lb 15oz). Bought 6 months ago before I purchased my .308 Now developed a load with Ramshot Tac. Want to raise some money for a new scope. So first of all anyone know how much an empty 8lb tub weighs!

Cheers, Andy

Surely the easy way to find out is to empty the one you have and weigh it.

Archived