What finish for laminate stock?

oaken

I have a GRS stock that has just had any finish that May have been on it, dissolved away by a wet weekend in Cornwall.

I have two questions really.

The first is,what is the best way to finish a laminate stock for extreme weather resistance?

Second, how are the GRS Stocks finished from factory? Is it oil that needs removing or just sand it down and varnish?

Cheers

Rup

I don't think extreme weather resistance is achieved with stock oil.

Im thinking Bodmin last Saturday, not a little shower at Bisley :-p

I was thinking along the lines of the kind of indestructible polyurethane varnish that you get on pub tables. May even paint it yet but looking for something tough and weather proof and unsure how much prep a previously oiled stock needs before varnish.

The poor old stock has swelled up so much over the weekend, that the adjustable bits barely work!

Yeah look at there website has a Hardener in the oil as well which helps. Wood like anything has pores, but it needs finishing with a good number of layers to fill those pores in the grain etc... Danish oil when dry is good but try finishing with a good quality beeswax leave it on ten fifteen mins at room temp, then allot of elbow grease allows you to acquire a good finish.

Hope this helps.

CZV

I clear coated mine with several coats of cellulose based automotive clear coat. 2 pak would have been tougher but you need full breathing kit to spray that and ideally a ventilated and filtered spray booth.

It has been fine for 5 years but that rain on saturday has destroyed it. Where the stock had been previously damaged (scratched/dinged) it allowed the rain in and swollen the wood. The paint is now flaking off around the affected areas.

I'm thinking of oiling it now so that it penetrates into the stock and gives better protection. I was told to be careful with oils on laminates though incase it affects the adhesive and causes delamination.

Presumably if GRS are using oil then they will have looked into that and chosen something suitable? :unsure:

Ok, truoil it is.

I have truoiled a few stocks and they do look stunning after a few coats but always sold them shortly after so not had a chance to test in really adverse conditions, at least it can be retouched when needed which would be difficult with a hard finish after leakage.

Cheers

Rup

Did you see the recent "oil for walnut stock" thread ?

Yes, that is why I started another thread for laminates. Need to endure the same conditions though.

Still not convinced that oil is the best treatment for enduring persistent rain.

replace it with plastic/fibreglass/carbonfibre/metal for adverse weather conditions?

Russ, I had my heart set on one of Edi's super light Etac stocks but he won't do an inlet for a 595. Not much out there in synthetic for older tikka's. Might try Stafford Synthetics next, see if they can do a copy of the Etac.....

I finished mine with 10 layers of B+Q outdoor varnish, diluted 1:8 with turpentine and a light sanding in between. Granted, it never had to endure what you chaps had to endure over the weekend, but I am very happy with it at the moment. With regard to synthetics, McMillan do an inlet for the M590/595, I had a stock that I think MJR bought from me (a fellow lefty!!) in McM Sako Varmint configuration. But, I am also one of the folks who pray that Edi will do an ETAC with our inlet, and particularly left hand....I'll grow old and die beforehand, I feel...! :) :)

well you will all use these niche rifles , just get a remmy 700 , problem solved :D

I'll pull my teeth first :)

Rup

You could coat the stock with a clear Cerakote finish

Rock hard, comes in different finishes matt to gloss

Resistant to oils, solvents and Bodmin Rain!!!

Mark

I'll have a barrel and mod for you to do soon Mark, something close to the phosphate finish on there now if poss

Pete

Rup

You could coat the stock with a clear Cerakote finish

Rock hard, comes in different finishes matt to gloss

Resistant to oils, solvents and Bodmin Rain!!!

Mark

Sounds good, got to make a few changes and decide whether to pillar bed it yet.

I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Archived