which oil for a walnut stock?

sako 75 .243

Hay guys

After being in the rain for 8hrs at the RRC yesterday,the stock on my sako needs re-oiling....Do I use linseed oil,Danish oil...???

Thanks for your help

Glenn.

Tru oil is pretty good and a really nice finish can be achieved if u prep well and leyer it up. I'm not not sure how hard wearing it is though.

Truoil seems to be like Danish oil- has some volatile setting agent in it. My serious hunting rifles are all synthetic so I can't comment on its hardiness.

I've redone about five stocks with it now and it gives a good result but you must lightly cut each layer back with fine steel wool, else it will end up uneven.

Three coats is usually plenty.

Here's an M700 Mountain Rifle I did a few weeks back

M700-1_zpsdf2e871c.jpg

M700-5_zpsc1c32832.jpg

Excuse the metal mismatch - the rifle had a shagged chrome moly barrel when I bought it (for a song) and the replt stainless barrel could really do with Duracoating to match the existing action

I use walnut oil on mine, £3-50 for 250mls from any good delicatessen..........

H/man

The rain managed to find a few chinks (where it had previoulsy been scratched/dinged etc) in the paint on my stock at RRC too. It's flaking off in some places now. Thinking of oiling it, bit off topic but was told not to oild a laminate as some oils can affect the adhesive in the laminate. Sorry to hi jack the thread a bit but I would be interested in what other people have used on laminate stocks?

• 3 weeks later...

My advice would be don't use tru oil (it's varnish based) or Danish oil both look good to start but soon need repairs.

Walnut oil is ok I prefer a BLO mix I make my own but you can buy Trade Secret stock oil it does a good job.

Prep is everything and don't rush it.

Archived