Importing a Nightforce Scope from the USA

270Buck

Hi,

I just contacted an American based Nightforce dealer to ask what the process would be to import a Nightforce scope. This is the response I have had.

Nightforce has a company policy that prohibits export of new Nightforce products. We encourage you to buy Nightforce from your countries authorized distribution and would refer you to Nightforce USA for help @ 800 732 9824. If you want us to ship to a US address we are happy to do so provided that we can comply with US government regulation.
Thanks,

Eric

Has anyone else got personal experience of importing a Nightforce scope from USA? Which company did they approach? If you would rather PM me your response that would be understandable.

Cheers

What it appears they are saying is buy from the UK/European stockist / distributor which is understandable and there might be ITAR regulations/provisions that might prohibit the scopes export

Looks like these are the UK distributors:

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/find-us/

Unless RUAG have stopped, I'm pretty sure they are the official UK importers...

• 2 weeks later...

try euro optics in the USA , they seem to export scopes , just know there is red tape / permits with some of these , and most US dealers are un-willing or cannot do the paper work required ?

If a scope is on the list of restricted Items then they will not ship it, last I checked nightforce and Leupold scopes were on that list.

However Vortex and U.S. Optics are not ITAR restricted (this was verified to me by both manufacturers)

Its a grey area and most americans will err on the side of caution as a federal offence is a serious one. I've had guys wont ship something as simple as a sling...

To give an idea of quite how ridiculous ITAR restrictions can be - an American pal of mine was charged by US Border Protection last year, for sending an FAL stock, fore-grip and two top-covers, plus some M14 parts all bought openly on the mail order surplus market, to our mutual shooting pal in Luxembourg. although not prosecuted, he's on a five year behaviour bond - this guy is a university academic - totally ridiculous.

The mad thing is that another pal - a Canadian - who is in the army, regularly travels to the US and can buy ITAR goods without restriction, often in the PX on military bases at considerable discount, to take back to Canada. There are no export restriction from Canada to any third country except for genuinely sensitive kit, thus ITAR can theoretically be by-passed.

I've been looking to buy various Magpul items and was aghast to find that the Magpul PRS stock for example is covered by ITAR in the US, yet free to be exported from Canada - madness!

Archived