Trigger locks are worthless

Well, I should quantify that by saying that the Browning and Remington branded ones I have are worthless.

I've had a few Remington ones for a while and usually put them on while my rifles are in the car.

Last week I bought a new Browning shotgun which came with a Browning branded trigger lock of similar design. I noticed, as I was putting the key on my key ring that it looked a bit simple. Having bought a set of lock picks off the internet a few years ago in a bout of boredom and curiosity, I thought I'd give the lock a try.

I'm no master locksmith or criminal and have never tried to pick any lock other than the transparent training lock that came with my lock picks. I was therefore stunned that I opened the lock in less than ten seconds.

I then tried the Remington locks and opened those in similar short order.

Suffice to say that both brands of locks are now in the bin.

Out of interest, does anyone know of a worthwhile locking system for the car that can't be defeated by a ham fisted amateur with a £3 set of lock picks from Amazon?

Try picking any lock with these tools…...

I have since doing this. My cabinet locks are impossible because their type is not susceptible to this kind of pick. My front door is also too complex for an amateur like me. I couldn't open any of the padlocks I have.

I've no doubt that a skilled locksmith or thief could open any lock but the fact that I can open these trigger locks with what amounts to a micro screwdriver and no skills, makes them worthless in my eyes.

UPDATE:

It seems I may owe Remington an apology. I've just shown my friend the ease in which they open and he pointed out that his Remington locks are different.

On inspection it seems that either I have an older design or they may even be fakes, although they came from a reliable gun shop.

His have a much better key design and I can't open them.

The Browning one however is still worthless.

I think that any of these locks are just a deterrent from casual unauthorized use. I mean, these are trigger locks. If someone steals the weapon they can take their time opening it at another time, in another place. Most trigger locks can be sawn in half with a Dremel tool. The cable type 'action locks' can often be cut with a pair of diagonal cutters and a tenacious grip. I opened an enclosure lock by placing it on a anvil and smacking lightly it with a ball peened hammer. It fell apart. The only real security these locks provide is for the gun makers to keep them from being sued because they didn't supply them. JMHO.~Andrew

Yeah, I don't really use them as the only security device, they are more about doing all I can to fulfill my obligation to keep my guns secure at all times.

In other news, Mrs C has now opened the Browning one with a hair pin and is now demanding I call her Natalia and insisting she could have been a spy.

Yeah, I don't really use them as the only security device, they are more about doing all I can to fulfill my obligation to keep my guns secure at all times.

In other news, Mrs C has now opened the Browning one with a hair pin and is now demanding I call her Natalia and insisting she could have been a spy.

If she looks like natalia simunova your a lucky fella lol . Or prob better still xzenya onnatop , now she was a horny minx with that AK74 u :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

One came on a semi auto I recently bought and thankfully it was not on the trigger but just in the case as someone had managed to change the combination by accident so I couldn't open it.

Took about 20 seconds to open it with a tweezers.

Probably only of use to deter casual access to the trigger.

Archived