Fixed power for F Class

Ronin

The time has come for me to look for a new scope to go on the new rifle..

I already have a NF 8-32 on the 7mm WSM

Im considering if I actually need a variable for its sister.

Rational being I use a spotter for looking at wind drift and mirage anyway so do I need a variable..

Considering one of the Leup Competition models

Discuss please - pro's, con's, other options…..

Yes i'd love to run a pair of identical March's on both rifles, but unless I sell my daughter, I won't have that luxury anytime soon

I've shot with a fixed power - 36BR Leupold. The main reason? To make weight in FTR and I had one doing nothing.

From a shooting point of view - absolutely no problem BUT limited field of view to see your neighbours' targets is a handicap. I always check targets either side of me before pulling the trigger. The alternative is a separate spotting-scope.

+1 with Vince-to some extent it depends on useage too-and weather.

The NF 8-32 is near ideal for me,though 8.5-25 Leupolds are fine too.

Field of view does come in-Sunday I was shooting in quite a strong wind,and NF 42 was too much-initial splash was right on the edge of field of view,far easier to pick up at 32,or less.Ditto as weather closed in,and light worsened-20/25 seemed easier.Nice to have the variable choice in these conditions.But once on,I prefer as much mag as possible(at least to 42x at distance-I have not shot a top end/mag March).

Target acquisition is similar-scanning some distant heather etc on high mag is slow-quick twist down helps.It will depend on target size too-and precision needed-even at 100y I prefered the varmint fine crosshair on the Leupold to the Mil dot reticule,for real precision,but the mil dot is faster for larger targets.

I don't use high mag fixed except for BR type shooting for precision at known distance.Might be a real handicap for tactical work;fixed 8x or 6x for woodland stalking-in between shooting scenarios,it's personal preference really,as you know.

The ultimate advantage of the good,appropriate range,variable is choice,without much penalty-but I still use a fixed 10x Leupold out to 1000y on electronic falling men....like Vince ,because I had one,etc,and it's OK 'for government work'-any hit will do.

Might there also be some carry over advantage in two scopes the same?

Gbal

Like Vince, I used a fixed power scope (Weaver T36) for a season to make weight in F/TR. The points from Vince and George about field of view are absolutely right. You will sooner or later wish you can see more. (Over time, I've steadily reduced the power setting I use in matches on my variable and usually run around 20-24X these days.)

You're stuck too with the same size 'exit pupil' and hence limitations on picture brightness irrespective of the conditions. My nadir with the Weaver was a GB F league round at Blair Atholl three or four Octobers back which was rainy, misty and had low cloud on the range all weekend. If we hadn't got the white V-centre on the target, I wouldn't have been able to shoot as the 'black' was just an indistinct slightly darker area. The aiming mark was just an indistinct grey blob in the sight picture and not exactly ideal.

Since you're shooting F/O, and presumably off a joystick rest (?), some of the fixed scope downsides are less of an issue than to the F/TR shooter whose bi-pod allows a lot less 'looking around' by easily panning the rifle + scope. Nevertheless, if you go for a fixed scope, I'd reckon on at least a 50/50 probability of your ending up feeling dissatisfied with it after a season.

I know you northerners don't encounter mirage, but if you're shooting the Europeans this year you're going to wish you had a variable scope :lol:

I detest using anything other than 40 power, but last year during the Imperial (July) I shot on 20 power everyday I was there and used a spotting scope for looking at mirage and people's mistakes.

I know you northerners don't encounter mirage, but if you're shooting the Europeans this year you're going to wish you had a variable scope :lol:

I detest using anything other than 40 power, but last year during the Imperial (July) I shot on 20 power everyday I was there and used a spotting scope for looking at mirage and people's mistakes.

Not much at Diggle we don't Ian, but Desperado and friends get a surprising amount of mirage at Blair Atholl - it's just we league shoot visitors rarely encounter it there with the April/May and October match dates.

I keep hearing about these light fishtailing winds and mirage at Bisley. All I ever see are clouds / rain / left winds from 7 to 3 o' clock on my visits!

I take the point about mirage, was wound down to 20 at Raton when it was really hot...

Maybe from the comments (who's experience I value a great deal) that a fixed isn't the answer..

I don't particularly want another NF.

Do I sell a child and get a 5-40 March or have a punt at the Khalles 10 50 at half the price………...

What else is there >?

don't buy a fixed andy, you need to be able to wind it down if things heat up a lot. go buy a second hand 6-24 x 50 swarovski with target turrets. you'll see mirage that the other scope users won't see (which is the key to wining), and 24 power is more than enough for f-open. they are all i ever used, which i realise was a long time ago. but 3 league wins, a second place, scottish champion, european champion, irish open champion and the only guy in the world ever to posisble the target at 1233yards, all within the space of 18 months speak volumes about the scope..... you'll get a used one for 900 or so, even if you don't get on with it, you'll get your money back if you sell it on.

happy shooting

Sightron cheap as chips I use one great scopes I got the 10-50 but use it on 20-40 power all the time depends on weather conditions

Heavy miradge I like to turn it down a little but only ever experienced real heavy miradge in raton then I used my spotter to see changes and shot the scope on 20-30 nearly all comp

Derek, Grant,

thanks for the advice, I'm now sorted.

Second Rimrock in in 284 Shehane should be rolling very, very soon now..

so you haven't gone down the big 30 route then? i hear hannams shipment of the 230's has been put back another 6 weeks and they are coming in at 70quid a thousand? ouch! glad i'm building a middlestead :D

New rifle has just about all components sourced Grant.

Derek, I had considered a "30" but the cartridge I was considering as a base (30 Blaser Magnum ) - not the rimmed version,

Brass is horrendously expensive and I think recoil will be a factor for those who have gone the 30 cal route.

Its always an option for another day….

Archived