204 ruger on foxes

sako

We mop up around 200 foxes a year and around 1000 plus rabbits a winter so that keeps us busy enough

Gaz

Yes, from personal experience I know just how much work that is. As I type this, I'm still struggling to wake up as the result of last night's foxing. Good job I'm my own boss!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a word of caution on the .204 (and my .22/250) I have used the berger varmint/match in both and had REAL issues with runners. The bullet zipping right through

Just a word of caution on the .204 (and my .22/250) I have used the berger varmint/match in both and had REAL issues with runners. The bullet zipping right through

I've been told the same off a few people I used to have that problem when I used the 80 gr bergers in my br

Same problem here with the 40 grain Bergers in my .223.

Stopped using them after two outings.

George

Re Bergers-what did it say on the tin...target or hunting ?(though even some of the 'hunting' may be designed for generally somewhat tougher US varmints,like coyotes.)

Gbal

FB Varmint.

"Excellent for Targets

Recommended for Varmints"

George

FB Varmint.

"Excellent for Targets

Recommended for Varmints"

George

Thanks,George-that would be the right tin in theory! Berger were aware of some mis fit use...hence new labels,and we don't want to go Amax/Vmax at least while Amax are off the menu!

Gbal

Never used Berger in the 204 or 22-250, but the 204 was a lovely round to use with 40gr BT Noslers though we did have a few run, but the 22-250 never had a runner with 50gr Nosler BT and Sierra 45gr varmints.

Now using the 6MMBR as the go to gun this year with fantastic results.

20s usually let you see the impact, 22.250 due to the bigger powder charge recoil heavier and suffer from muzzel flip usually so you may not see the impact. I used to have a 22.250 and rarely saw rabbit impacts, foxes sometimes. I now use a heavy 20BR which carries a bigger charge that 204 and despite no moddy see the impacts every time.

A

20s usually let you see the impact, 22.250 due to the bigger powder charge recoil heavier and suffer from muzzel flip usually so you may not see the impact. I used to have a 22.250 and rarely saw rabbit impacts, foxes sometimes. I now use a heavy 20BR which carries a bigger charge that 204 and despite no moddy see the impacts every time.

A

This 20 BR is probably the best varmint round , i kind of regret not having one - think dies were a 16 week wait minimum - that was why i suppose. On 6mmBR site a chap set out to get the first ever 1000 plus kill with his 20 BR , he did it using 55 berg/varmints @1032 i think but mentioned expansion at that range was minimal , think it was a headshot on a prariedog - cheers tim..

to be honest i've not long got a 204 for foxing as a dedicated nv gun, just a cheap s/h howa, used other cals in the past, like 223 ( which was fantastic imho!) also have other cals in the cabinet with day scopes. didn't have a 20 on my ticket so thought i would have more of a chance convincing the plod to allow me another cal if it wasn't something which i already had. this turned out to be a good move as i had no issues with them at all, plus i didn't spend a fortune on a nv rig so wouldn't be shooting silly ranges.. anyway back to the point, my shooting buddy has shot 204 pretty much since it came out over here & whilst it seemed it was a fantastically accurate with 40grain factory rems he did have issues trying to drop foxes with it! blowing up on the surface all the time! (this put me off the cal initially) he then started using the 32 hornadys & these seemed to work great. he then started rolling his own & settled on using nosler 40's. they were accurate & like the 50's i was using in my ppc they were terminal! don't know why the factory rems didn't work but since his change I've witnessed him shoot plenty of foxes out to 200 with the 32's & since home loading, loads with the 40 noslers too! so this sort of persuaded me to try one for myself & i have to say that everything i've pulled the trigger on has ended up stone dead so far!...

noslers seem to be tricky to obtain at the moment so may up going down the 32 route myself or even trying the bk's if i can get hold of some...

to be honest i've not long got a 204 for foxing as a dedicated nv gun, just a cheap s/h howa, used other cals in the past, like 223 ( which was fantastic imho!) also have other cals in the cabinet with day scopes. didn't have a 20 on my ticket so thought i would have more of a chance convincing the plod to allow me another cal if it wasn't something which i already had. this turned out to be a good move as i had no issues with them at all, plus i didn't spend a fortune on a nv rig so wouldn't be shooting silly ranges.. anyway back to the point, my shooting buddy has shot 204 pretty much since it came out over here & whilst it seemed it was a fantastically accurate with 40grain factory rems he did have issues trying to drop foxes with it! blowing up on the surface all the time! (this put me off the cal initially) he then started using the 32 hornadys & these seemed to work great. he then started rolling his own & settled on using nosler 40's. they were accurate & like the 50's i was using in my ppc they were terminal! don't know why the factory rems didn't work but since his change I've witnessed him shoot plenty of foxes out to 200 with the 32's & since home loading, loads with the 40 noslers too! so this sort of persuaded me to try one for myself & i have to say that everything i've pulled the trigger on has ended up stone dead so far!...

noslers seem to be tricky to obtain at the moment so may up going down the 32 route myself or even trying the bk's if i can get hold of some...

I've found the 32 gr. Sierra Blitzkings to work extremely well.

39 gr sbk are an incredible 0.14moa @ 100yd in mine and devastating on fox.

Yes, they do seem to work well too! My mate's Tikka groups the 40s like a shotgun, but the 39s are awesome through it.

Same problem here with the 40 grain Bergers in my .223.

Stopped using them after two outings.

George

I use Berger 50s match and varmint ( think they are the same bullet in a different box) in the 20BR, never had anything hit center chest do anything but flop out to 300 yards. Mostly though I use 39gr SBKs in it as others here recommend in 204s. Killed to around 300 yards, last one at that range was front on and just flopped. Just get a bit more gore at normal distances.

A

Ello rem , you know you gotta double that to beat PC ! ;)

Just read the Home Office Suitable Calibres document on a Facebook foxing group. These "experts" say that .204 Ruger is not a suitable round for foxes even though they .17HMR is! As this is the document FEO's refer to that's buggered up the variation I was going to add when my ticket is up for renewal later this year...! What do you guys have .204 on for?

Hold centre and read the wind

Clive

thats his pb on fox tim,his crow pb is still aways off mine

Yeah i thought so , your crow is going to be extremely hard to beat MR PC ;)

I got in touch with my FEO and he said that his bosses treat that HO Document as carved in stone and not for guidance so no .204 for fox in Sussex!

I rang BASC who said that there is no precedent that can be quoted but providing a comparison of .204 Ruger and "approved calibres" usually persuades the Firearms Depts that the Guidance Document is just that, for guidance, and is not particularly technically correct.

So, 10 minutes later that were spent on the Hornady/RWS & Winchester sites along with my simplistic knowledge of Excel produced that attached file.

Very interesting reading......

Hold centre and read the wind

Clive

Fox Calibres.pdf

Archived