204 ruger on foxes

sako

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May I ask if there any real difference in recoil, the ability to spot your shots, or noise between the average .204 and a .223?

The 204 Ruger has somewhat less recoil than the 223 ;the standard relative recoil factor figures are 204 .6,223 .8. For comparison, 17 Rem .45;22/250 is .9;243 1.25;308 1.95.

While the 204/223 is noticeable,it's hardly intrusive-and you should be able to spot shots,and is pretty easy with a moderator,even with a high mag scope(at least 25x).Noise will be broadly comparable-moderator,again-and there are virtually no good measurement of noise down range/side at any real distance away.

So none of the above differ enough for most users to warrant a change of calibre for those reasons alone,and subjective experiences should broadly confirm this.In my experience,the 17 is nearly recoil free-crosshairs barely move,but no problem to spot bullet strike for the 223 (or 243 ) moderated. 308 is less easy,but possible.Remember rifle weight is another mitigating factor,heavier recoils less.Hope this helps.

Gbal

You shouldn't need to have specific quarry listed against each firearm now anyway, mine just stipulates that so long as it is a legal to use that calibre for the quarry you are shooting e.g for deer above .240 then it is for the operator to the determine if it is suitable. This applies to all of my firearms, as last time mine was renewed I told the firearms officer that is was unfeasable for me to have multiple rifles in a high seat in case a fox came out while waiting for a deer, as he would not put fox down against my deer rifle.

Archived