rockstead kou ZDP knife

jason66

Τhe manufacturer, would be my guess....

Joke aside, they are seriously engineered knives with super steels. Not that I would ever pay that for a knife....

best wishes

Finman

At least two people judging from the reviews on Heinne. I wouldn't if buy one personally but if the blade steel is really that good plus exceptional build quality it doesn't seem beyond reason at that price. Why have an AI at £4K when you can have a Rem 700 at under £1K?

An old, wise customer once gave me the advice - nothing is expensive if you make good use of it. The gentleman was a very wealthy self made businessman and he was an absolute joy to work for and became a close friend.

A well made quality item is always a joy to use. The knife may be expensive but if used regularly and enjoyed whilst being used its better value than a 20 quid knife left in the drawer at home......

I have paid far more than that a good knife is like a good rifle it is what ever your poison good knives are better than money in the bank that is why I bought thisknifestand001_zpsec6de076.jpg

I have paid far more than that a good knife is like a good rifle it is what ever your poison good knives are better than money in the bank that is why I bought thisknifestand001_zpsec6de076.jpg

Very nice.

Tell us more...

Hello, could anyone "regardless of income"" justify £891.95 for a three inch blade penknife ???

Jason,

That is a question that sometimes I ask - & I live with a lady whose work costs a bit more! :o

http://artemiswilddesign.co.uk/17.html

Have a look at the prices paid in the US for Jo's work - she works to commission rather than building on 'spec'

..... & yes, I am rather proud of her abilities!

Rgds

Ian

Should add im not talking about the custom knives above which are probably more of an investment im refering to the rockstead which looks like a small utility blade, very much like my twenty year old opinel which are about fifteen quid just and just as sharp ????

No im sorry I think nine hundred quid for a three inch knife is nonsense,

Don't think I'm with you on that one, at least not entirely. It is nonsense to pay all that money just to look at the knife and never use it. If, on the other hand, one decides to chose an instrument of beauty to perform a common task and puts it to good use, no problem with that. Similar to some rifles that only come out of the cabinet on dry days, fire two shots, get oiled and put back for the glueing to be maintained and the wood unscratched...I subscribe to the school of thought which maintains that keeping your knife or gun pristine is akin to looking after a gorgeous girlfriend for the next guy...

Surely, all of us could have cheaper cars, smaller houses, smaller TVs...how many of us choose to do so though? Why should it be different for a knife?

My two p

Best wishes

Finman

I hear what your saying finman, I understand and appreciate quality too, but a three inch pocket knife is designed for one purpose only, if you had more money than sense I suppose you could buy one in an attempt to impress prople, however I suppose most would either find ninehundred quid obscene or just laugh at how silly you have been. At the end of the dsy it isnt an engineering masterpiece like a mars rover or a bugatti veyron, itd a piece of sharpened metal with a ally handle which is no sharper than my opinel, and I would be prepared to put that to the test aswell, if any ZPD owners would like to compare blade sharpness at a uni meralurgy dept the winner gets to keep each others knife ??

IanF,

that is one seriously talented Lady you have there! And those are works of art not just knifes.

On the OP question, there must be a market for that £800 3" pocket knife or nobody would be making it. Some people just like having having really

nice(read expensive) things. As an old friend of mine once told me " Everyone has their own way of going mad!"

Agreed the ladys knives are incredible arnt they, probably better than cash in the bank too, and I understand peoples coments re the ZDP but im afraid on this one we,ll have to "agree to disagree"

I hear what your saying finman, I understand and appreciate quality too, but a three inch pocket knife is designed for one purpose only, if you had more money than sense I suppose you could buy one in an attempt to impress prople, however I suppose most would either find ninehundred quid obscene or just laugh at how silly you have been. At the end of the dsy it isnt an engineering masterpiece like a mars rover or a bugatti veyron, itd a piece of sharpened metal with a ally handle which is no sharper than my opinel, and I would be prepared to put that to the test aswell, if any ZPD owners would like to compare blade sharpness at a uni meralurgy dept the winner gets to keep each others knife ??

Would you be able to make the same sharpness claim after 3-4 deer grallochs? Because you may find that the chap with the ZDP steel might...most of us who stalk or hunt may have a selection of knives, some cheap some expensive. In my case the only person they impress is me with their performance and reliability. Sure, I've got opinels and moras, but I also have fallkniven and Alan Wood, as I suspect most folk here...I'll stand by my point arguing that looking at and not using a knife for its intended purpose is what I find peculiar, not how much it cost.

Best wishes

Finman

A fool and his money are soon parted.The wise invest It's a free world.Pay your money take your choice.

All sort of true. The lady's engraving is more art-and certainly very fine craftsmanship-and that is what the buyer is paying for (probably investing in) not the relatively modest knife. There would be a case for saying taking such an object into rough work would be an act of modest barbarism,as there are more functional (non art) options as good.(even if I didn't like a Monet,I would not use it as a target,since others would then be denied it's pleasure,and doing so is philistine,even if you own it.

The more basic question in reality is whether rather extreme expense really buys corresponding functional improvement.Generally no,and it is almost always not needed (moon trips possibly excluded).

Sharper-how sharp do you need? Long lasting -compared to 5/10 others? And so on.The issue isn't super/duper versus cheap/ineffective if it's for use.

"I just like it ", fine,subject (my values) to the above-appreciate accordingly-if you like ownership,buy it;if you like its aesthetics,look at it;if you like to fantasise,consider therapy.If you 'just' want to cut something,get a more modest priced but probably as functional tool,(you can afford it) and keep your dream knife/object d'art safe ..( preferably in a safe!)

Confession...my 1905 M/S carbine no **001 has never been fired,though it's engraved "To Teddy,from Papa" ,with beautiful African plains scenes engraved in gold,leather travelling case,and a long letter from a Mr W M Bell,with details and advice on big game hunting locations in East Africa.It's not going out in the rain, as that would upset the Tikka,possibly a better tool anyhow.

Gbal

Confession...my 1905 M/S carbine no **001 has never been fired,though it's engraved "To Teddy,from Papa" ,with beautiful African plains scenes engraved in gold,leather travelling case,and a long letter from a Mr W M Bell,with details and advice on big game hunting locations in East Africa.It's not going out in the rain, as that would upset the Tikka,possibly a better tool anyhow.

Gbal

Wouldn't take my pension fund out in the rain either ;) pictures please!!

Ill take two ! Just in case i loose one ! :lol:

Archived