I want to start building a rifle over time that I can use for informal target shooting (it will never be a field gun) but with minimal outlay at any one point. As availability is so good for 700 actions I was intending on starting with a second hand Rem 700 in 308 and adding to it over time so in the end over a longish period it will be pretty much all bolt ons. I will then probably re barrel in 260.

Is there a 700 that makes a better starting point be it VSSF down to an SPS? Everything except the action will go eventually.

I know it makes poor financial sense and that I would probably end up with a better gun if I invested what I will spend, but that is not what I want.

Why not seek out a shot-out Remmy purely for the action rather than buying a working gun and discarding most of it?

Could add a 260 barrel etc over time.

Hi mate,

I went down the exact same route.

pics of the genesis of my 308, bought it SH it had already had a 7shot extended fixed mag, I then fitted it with a detachable mag conversion and PES moderator (I now wish I'd left it there as it was bloody good out to 800 yards). I decided that I wanted to get into F-TR and had it rebarreled which needed a different stock.

Alan

post-11043-0-49054600-1395488284_thumb.jpg

post-11043-0-65725300-1395488695_thumb.jpg

I want to start building a rifle over time that I can use for informal target shooting (it will never be a field gun) but with minimal outlay at any one point. As availability is so good for 700 actions I was intending on starting with a second hand Rem 700 in 308 and adding to it over time so in the end over a longish period it will be pretty much all bolt ons. I will then probably re barrel in 260.

Is there a 700 that makes a better starting point be it VSSF down to an SPS? Everything except the action will go eventually.

I know it makes poor financial sense and that I would probably end up with a better gun if I invested what I will spend, but that is not what I want.

A very interesting approach. The thumbhole stocked rifle below started life as a Rem 700 in 308 with a wooden stock. I had it rebarrelled to 260 Rem. Then upgraded the stock.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/gallery/member-galleries/p2948-remington-700-sa-in-260-rem.html

Alternatively, you could make me an offer for my other 260 Rem - http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Lawton-_Rifle_7000_For-Sale_140316105654845

Regards JCS

http://s403.photobucket.com/user/amcoll10/media/DSC_0011.jpg.html

this is how it ended up, although it now sports and Sightron 8-32x56 LRTD scope and different bipod.

Alan

Well done Alan

Really nice to see a rifle that works 100% and looks the business

It seems a trend to have a gun that looks like its been nicked off an alien.

Rgds

V

Do you ever stop once you start down the custom route ? I wish some one could tell me how long the piece of string is gonna be ! I'm still spending and not got there yet , so far it's been a 700 bdl plus

Tactical bolt handle

Jewell trigger

20 min rail

Warne mounts

Pm11

KMW stock

Two AI mags

New fluted stainless border barrel trued and screwed

Spiral twist bolt

Next is new mod

Then Ceracoat

Then new bipod

Then .........

I dare not tot it up but three years in progress and currently shoots much better than me and hopefully still to improve . I think your limit becomes your pocket once you start ! But worth the wait if you do it this way plus you choose your parts as you learn but just MHO .

Oh and the bolts on the correct side of this one :-)

Ian

I have had a few custom guns, but I have alsways got a buzz from guns that I have progressively improved. I have never gone to the lengths I intend to with this project as I have done it on guns where the add ons were limited.

I know the economics are completely daft, but I have a 3 litre Subaru that makes none either.

I have made an offer on a 260 rem so will see if I can start there, at least it will save on the varyation when I gets a new tube.

As for the costs...

£600 for the gun

Probably around £400 for the mount system.

£600 for the stock

£200 for bedding

£200 work on action.

£200 for trigger (although, I have managed to get a 700 trigger working very well before)

£300 for new bolt (I am guessing now)

£700 for new tube eventually

£3200 all in

Ouch......maybe use the mini for a few weeks then..

Raif,

Well why not?At least you are going in eyes wide open.I was going to suggest starting with a 260 anyhow.Though much more limited in choice/availability,the 260 rem is just superior to the 308 in almost every way (except sheer clout,at both ends,which you don't want). A wide range of add ons is not nearly as important as there being the ones you actually want (eg the right stock)-you'll be rejecting all the others.No doubt one could quibble ,but it's your designer baby!!

Gbal

Good choice , I'd avoid the 700 actions that had the stupid safety key , one day you will forget/lose the key

Other than that just grab any old short action 700 and build away !

All my rifles are built on 700 actions , 260 , 308 , 300 rum , next is a 338 federal

I have a 22wmr a 22rf and a 223 that are ruger Sako Sako respectively as well .

I've been down almost the exact same road. I started with a very plain Jane Remington 700 VS in 0.308 and have been progressively updating it over about 10 years. First update was a new bolt handle. Second was an AICS. The AICS is quite cost effective as you don't need to pay separately for bottom metal. Then I had the action bedded, the muzzle crowned and the trigger adjusted to a nice break. Another upgrade was swapping the Harris bipod for an Atlas on the spigot mount with a matching Atlas rear monopod. A few other minor upgrades were some thumb wheels and some 'accustacks' for the cheekpiece.

The most expensive upgrade was ditching the old Optimate 10x scope and Leupold rings for a Schmidt and Bender PMII 5-25x56, one piece rings and a Picatinny rail. That was a lot of money (more than the rifle), but worth every penny.

I'm now at the stage of considering halving it threaded for a moderator, or going the whole hog and having a match barrel and action blueprint. Like you, I would probably choose 0.260 Remington. However a factor for me to consider is that I seldom have time for reloading. Over the years the rifle has shot an awful lot of surplus military ball. I have found the MEN stuff to be quite accurate in my barrel. It has proved to deliver 'minute of steel plate' out to about 800m at the WMS steel challenge. For longer ranges I have used NRA Ruag 155 grain match ammo or HPS 190 grain match reloads. Again these have shot quite well at 1000 yards at Bisley. The gunsmith told me that the bolt is making full contact with both lugs on this rifle, so I guess that I was fortunate with this one.

It's a bit of a dilemma whether to upgrade it further. If I had a match barrel fitted in 0.308, I'm not sure that I could bring myself to shoot surplus ammo through it! If I chose 260 I would have to knuckle down and make the time for reloading.

If I was starting again? I might be tempted to choose a Tikka T3. These now have almost as many parts to choose from as the Remingtons. Alternatively I do sometimes wish that I'd saved up for an Accuracy International!

• 2 weeks later...

I now have a 6.5 x 47 being built on a standard remmy action. 26" PAC NOR.

Another question.

If I want to upgrade the action to a custom one later on would I need a new barrel or would it be possible to just swap

This is an issue I have tangled with. The tenons are usually different. Standards are applied to firearms, but from the very earliest times enforcing stds has been challenging and Action builders like to put their own unique stamp on things.

Welcome to the expensive world of custom builds. If I was starting out again, I would toil to walk past a Blaser.

As an aside, are you going to get the firing pin bushed on your custom build?

Regards JCS

This is an issue I have tangled with. The tenons are usually different. Standards are applied to firearms, but from the very earliest times enforcing stds has been challenging and Action builders like to put their own unique stamp on things.

Welcome to the expensive world of custom builds. If I was starting out again, I would toil to walk past a Blaser.

As an aside, are you going to get the firing pin bushed on your custom build?

Regards JCS

Thanks JCS. Not sure if that was a yes or no, but expect a no.

As for the bolt bushing "he is now". Thanks for that.

It would all depend on the action really , but most likely you would need to cut the thread off and rechamber as well as rethread to suit the action and a little barrel reprofiling might be reqd ? it's a bonus that your using a 700 action as a lot of actions use that profile apparently?

I will say that I don't think there is much wrong with the 700 action ?

If you're planning to blueprint a 700 then think about it very carefully. In my opinion the money spend on blueprinting might as well be spent on a 700 custom clone such as a Stiller Precision Predator. At the end of the day should you decide to sell it you'll recover more of additional cost than you would on a Blueprinted action. Also, I think the side bolt release is so much neater too.

Well my Remington is now away being threaded by Neil McKillop and I had a long chat with him about the same subject. His advice: keep my Remington with the standard barrel in 0.308 for military surplus and save up for a custom action in 6.5x47. Hard to fault the logic!

That certainly makes sense when you've already got the action and your 308 barrel is still serviceable, but why bother shelling out a few hundred quid on a second hand action and a barrel of unknown quality.

9 years ago I was in a similar situation, I had a completely shot out 308 heavy barrel 700 BDL. I um'd & ah'd about what to do.Blueprint, just rebarrel, or custom. In the end I took a few hundred quid as px for the action and put it towards a barnard SM.

BTW from what I've heard Neil McKillop is a good choice of smith. He did a mate of mine's Tika 595 rebarrel and it's v accurate, reasonanle turnaround and sensibly priced too.

Archived