Powder choice for 6.5x47

Norfresh

When I was planning my 47 build alot of ppl told me that Reloader 17 was the best for the job...but from looking at other peoples loads they seem to choose R15 for bullets in the 123gr weight.

So which would you recommend to be best suited for pushing 123gr Amaxs through a 1 in 8 twist 28" barrel?

Thanks

You could do a lot worse than 38.5grains of Varget although appreciate its in short supply.Shoots very good groups in mine using 95 v max or 123 Scenars.regards Richard.p.s. As normal you should work up to this progressively although it should be a mild(but)accurate formula.

RL17 will give you good vels but it DEF isn't kind to the barrel. The ballpark figure for barrel life with std powders seems to be about 2500 if you aren't running it hot. As for RL17, well 1500 maybe with full house loads?

RL15 or Varget are two known good powders for 123 class bullets in the 47. 38grs of Varget is very accurate in mine and is giving about 2940MV with a 27" bbl from memory. Brass hardly moves with this load.

Reloader 15 gives v good consistency in my tikka with 123 scenar and groups are touching . Down side I find is that its a bit dirty but willing to accept that for the consistency , omho tho , cheers

Thanks lads, didn't realise R17 was harsh on barrel life! Looks like R15 is the way to go.

So would R15 also suit 130/140's or would I need a second powder for that weight bullets?

Whats Ramshot Hunter like on barrel wear?[/quote.

I've read that ramshot powders have been designed to burn cooler than most normal extruded powders not sure if that's the case though

Has anybody tried N550 in there 6.5x47?

Yes, and it performs well in my rifle with both 123 and 139 grain Scenars. I've found the high end Viht loads to work the best, but the down side is the projected shortened barrel life.

Thanks lads, R15 it is for now with the 123gr amax. Seems to give great accuracy and and pretty acceptable velocities. I will probably go for a different powder tp use with 140's at a later date.

Archived