Composite Stock Comparison

I thought I would assist those deciding which way to go with a purchase of a composite stock.

As some may know, I like the feel of fibreglass and carbon fibre next to my cheek :mellow:

I know there are other makers such as Wild Dog, HS Precision etc, I didnt have one around to make a comparison with - sorry.

Anyway, a while back, I was planning a couple of custom builds based on Remington clone footprint actions (Surgeon, RPA Quadlite, Stiller, Lawton etc etc etc)

I ordered a Mac A5 in black, grey and white marble and a Manners T4A (ajustable cheek) in plain green (both may be painted so the colours dont mean diddly)

Alot has been said about the merits of Mcmillan and to a lesser degree Manners, they both offer rugged build quality, a choice of options and very good customer service. (well they have to me)

Anyway comparison pics:

Left hand side

DSCN0706.jpg

Right hand side

DSCN0714.jpg

Base of butt

DSCN0704.jpg

Base inletting - Manners is inletted for Badger Mag system, Mac is inletted for BDL although this is easilly altered.

DSCN0710.jpg

Forend profiles

DSCN0709.jpg

DSCN0708.jpg

DSCN0707.jpg

DSCN0712.jpg

Inlet Quality

DSCN0711.jpg

Top of Butt

DSCN0713.jpg

Hope this assists anyone about to order....

Preference personally?

Manners T4a every time

I`ve always been a Mcmillan stalwart but sadly the quality does seem to have slipped somewhat recently :mellow:

That Manners stock does look a good quality alternative

What was the comparison like on price and delivery time Andy ?

Guest northernchris

Good post Andy :mellow: How much difference in weight is there between the 2??? Hace you got pics of the lam stock that we spoke about??

good write up andy the manners looks to be every bit as good as the mac, not so sure about the hairy hand in pic 7 though Andy, dont worry though you aint alone, I suffer from werewolf hands myslef :mellow:

Price for A5 was as per base A5 on Mac site, the Manners has numerous options (ajust cheek, two flush mounts and three pegs) so this put the import to uk price to £412 all in.

Had I specced the A5 similarly it would be about the same.

Delivery time.....

lets just say it was over three months for the Mcmillan and leave it there.

The T4A well I ordered it exactly twelve weeks ago and it was delivered (as promised by Tom) yesterday.

Weight - the Mac and the T4A have had extra put into the rear for heavy barrel compensation I can weigh them later and post.

Chris

sorry, havent any pics yet, it should come in a few weeks.

The only set back with Manners is they don`t seem to have a lot of templates :mellow:

When I enquired about a Sako 75 stock they didn`t make one for that action which was a little disappointing :(

The only set back with Manners is they don`t seem to have a lot of templates :mellow:

When I enquired about a Sako 75 stock they didn`t make one for that action which was a little disappointing :(

and i believe you have to finish them of,or pay more for the paint job.

this is where the gel coat comes in on the MC stocks,in my opinion this takes some beating.

manners stocks are good,but MC are better

JMHO

ATB

Colin :(

Col

the Manners come in a standard grey, brown, green, black finish (the one in the pic is green), if you want a more elaborate color scheme yes you do have to pay extra but it isnt that much as they have it done at Larsen Tactical in the US. (pricing is on the Manners site anyway)

What is more important to me is the fact you order and get pretty much guaranteed delivery over the Mac option.

Yes agreed the choice of inletts is limited, but that isnt the end of the world, one can get a blank un inletted stock and with a little care (and milling machine) anything is possible.

I am sure that Sako and Tikka inletts will come "on line" in the future (just the same way that Mac didnt used to do them 6-7 years ago).

Col

the Manners come in a standard grey, brown, green, black finish (the one in the pic is green), if you want a more elaborate color scheme yes you do have to pay extra but it isnt that much as they have it done at Larsen Tactical in the US. (pricing is on the Manners site anyway)

i know ronin i have got one done for a customer by larsen :(

and there will be a photo on here in a bit

with the owners permission that is :mellow:

ATB

Colin :(

No Problem Col.

I would have likes to have had a Wild Dog as well to compare that too as they do a tactical style stock, maybe Baldie could post similar pics here?

Just so everyone is clear, I have no vested interest with either Mcmillan, Manners or any other stock company :mellow:

Just received my second McMillan,this time for a Sako 75 varmint in 222.Very pleased with stock again.Unfortunately waiting time was even longer,7 months this time.However this was less of a problem to me as I could still shoot the rifle in the meantime with its original stock,will post some pics after easter.-Toby

Ronin

It looks like the Mac A5 has been bedded?

I have just taken delivery of my A5 and trying to sort bedding out and have noticed the forend flex's on the stock. Should I get it done all the way along as it appears in your pics?

Appreciate your advice/comments?

OA

Ronin

It looks like the Mac A5 has been bedded?

I have just taken delivery of my A5 and trying to sort bedding out and have noticed the forend flex's on the stock. Should I get it done all the way along as it appears in your pics?

Appreciate your advice/comments?

OA

hi -

the MC A5 has not been bedded in the picture.(well it don't look like it has been to me)

on the bedding front i only do the fore end if the customer asks for it,as this is only esthetic's and will not make the rifle shoot any better (floating barrel)

as for the flex in the stock, you will all ways get some flex in the stock,but its down to how much,when you load the stock up IE get down in to the shooting position,does the stock flex to the extent that the barrel touches the stock, or is there just a slight movement???

as all the MC i have had have had a degree of flex,but not excessive amounts if you get my drift.

i have not owned or done a A5 though

ATB

Colin :mellow:

Orka

the A5 has not been bedded, this is as it comes from the factory.

If I were doing the A5 (which I will shortly when other things arrive) I would open up the lug area considerably for bedding medium.

The trigger inlet differs to the Manners as this stock was specced for a Rem clone that uses its won trigger system (i'm not using this now) this will also have to be relieved on my mill.

The barrel channel is as it came from Mac, again its a wide profile (I think I specced a #7 or #6 barrel channel - you could easilly fit an unprofiled tube in there anyway :mellow:

The pillars were fitted by Mac, they are on examination quite thin material, they will be getting replaced by aluminium or SS pillars of 9/16ths - 5/8th diameter.

Col is right, you do get flex in the majority of stocks (even Mac A5's)

However, the manners T4A had less flex as it is made from Carbon Fibre, which assists in the rigidity somewhat.

Providing you have enough clearance bettween barrel and barrel channel, some flex is ok, what you do not want is contact bettween the two during the shot.

Personally, I would pillar and skim bed the action area up to and slightly beyond the recoil lug and then seal the barrel channel with a similar coloued paint as the rest of your stock - make sure that the paint you use does not react with the fill material first though :(

Thanks fella's the reason I asked is mine don't look like that but I had mine just std black from the factory, dont know if this makes a difference or not? I have dropped the action in and fired a test group and whilst the forend does flexi the group was cock on and when cleaning it, it rained that day, I slid thin cleaning cloth the full length of the barrel and it was free thinkin about it so it appears to be ok.

If I was being picky I have only two slight things I'd say:

1) The cheek has a little channel for the lug on the back of my Sako bolt, the one with the little red dot on it to locate into. The bolt at full extension rearward flops about a bit and it does not always slide into that channel and so will not feed a fresh round into the chamber. I will need to get this opened up, I can't afford to here the deadmans click when shooting Sika and I need to work the bolt quickly.

2) the rear screw, subject to another thread on the forum, is now two mil short from being snug to the top of the threaded hole it screws into on the rear tang on the action. Seems ok but for piece of mind, I don't know whether to go for another longer screw or when its bedded get the smithy to take a little out for me so it screws fully into the whole as before.

OA

Thanks fella's the reason I asked is mine don't look like that but I had mine just std black from the factory, dont know if this makes a difference or not? I have dropped the action in and fired a test group and whilst the forend does flexi the group was cock on and when cleaning it, it rained that day, I slid thin cleaning cloth the full length of the barrel and it was free thinkin about it so it appears to be ok.

If I was being picky I have only two slight things I'd say:

1) The cheek has a little channel for the lug on the back of my Sako bolt, the one with the little red dot on it to locate into. The bolt at full extension rearward flops about a bit and it does not always slide into that channel and so will not feed a fresh round into the chamber. I will need to get this opened up, I can't afford to here the deadmans click when shooting Sika and I need to work the bolt quickly.

2) the rear screw, subject to another thread on the forum, is now two mil short from being snug to the top of the threaded hole it screws into on the rear tang on the action. Seems ok but for piece of mind, I don't know whether to go for another longer screw or when its bedded get the smithy to take a little out for me so it screws fully into the whole as before.

OA

hi

you can buy replacement screws, the new ones for the 85 fit and are far far better quality. IMHO

if we are on about the sako 75

they are the same length though,so if your screws have not been shortened then they will not change anything only the quality of the head,(star)

ATB

Colin :D

Carefull use of a fine flat file on the bolt handle recess will cure the bolt issue Orka (unless you have a REALLY steady hand with a Dremel)

The action screws seating just a little low?

Well, I would wait on bedding and see how they are then - sometimes the screws need "ajustment" if the smith seats the action 5mm too deep........they may turn out just right.

Despite it shooting as it is, get it bedded, they shoot better :D

hi

you can buy replacement screws, the new ones for the 85 fit and are far far better quality. IMHO

if we are on about the sako 75

they are the same length though,so if your screws have not been shortened then they will not change anything only the quality of the head,(star)

ATB

Colin ;)

Col Yup its a SAko 75

After the trouble I had when the last smithy to work on my rifle loctite'd the screws in I want replacements like you suggest either Allen Key type or star, but can I find any? Can I heck. But still the quest goes on. And now I need the rear one 2-3mm longer

Col Yup its a SAko 75

After the trouble I had when the last smithy to work on my rifle loctite'd the screws in I want replacements like you suggest either Allen Key type or star, but can I find any? Can I heck. But still the quest goes on. And now I need the rear one 2-3mm longer

hi -

the sako 85 ones fit not sure of price but if you pm WSM he might be able to get you a set.(they are star type.black or stainless steel) and if you buy 2 sets you can cut one of the longer ones down to fit. well it might work it just depends on which screw is short. ;)

ATB

Colin :P

Toby

have to say the pair look absolute "classic" stalkers, very, very nice lines.

Archived