The state of the NRA

MrCetrizine

Hi, I've just joined the NRA. I did it at the British shooting show. I've not been to Bisley yet.

I went into my club today wearing my NRA badge and one of the senior members commented that the NRA are in real trouble and I'd be lucky to get in at Bisley because the police have taken it over.

Is there any truth to this? Have I made a mistake in joining?

More garbage from the ill informed. Yes the Civil Nuclear Constabulary do cause booking problems but it's not as if Bisley is short of ranges. Members and people who can be bothered to pay attention know Bisley and the NRA are only going to improve.

Yea a new broom sweeps very clean

Shame for me is I cant get on 100 short sibera mid week as police seem to have it I can use 100 on the 600yrd range but to change targets its a long walk and that's ok as im able bodied.

Im resigned to 100yrd zero on my own ground.

All other parts seem ok apart from a few price rises but that's to be expected in these times.

My worry is if it ever shuts to public? me living in sussex its the only long range close enough (I don't count lyid and hythe)

Oh well never mind

V :blush:

Your senior member sounds like one of the bitter and twisted old guard with an anti NRA complex/agenda.

Forget him, the NRA is moving forward at an incredible pace.

Fact: CNC are spending £13 1/2k per week hiring the ranges.

That's money the NRA need, and who can blame them.

If the shooting public utilized the facility and spent that amount per week, then the ranges would be available to them/us.

But then again you wouldn't get on, so no difference there.

If you wish to shoot 100 & 200 on weekdays, you can do so on Century.

And don't forget there will be a new 8-10 lane 300m ETR built sooner rather than later.

Yep, the NRA is very healthy

It's the home of CSR you know :-)

And don't forget there will be a new 8-10 lane 300m ETR built sooner rather than later.

Ok that got my attention….

Do you mean the 'fun' 300 m Electric Target Range (ETR) type, where the shot is automatically recorded and targets are able to fall when hit?

or

The Fixed Electric Targets (FETs) mounted into the top of the mantlet with an automatic marking systems fitted?

Really hoping it's the former, since that would prove a real money spinner for the NRA and would be great for competitions or more dynamic fun practice :)

That's the ones! So much more fun to shoot at than paper targets….Even if they didn't cost the earth, I wouldn't fancy carrying it across the river at my shoot or hard wiring it in! I take it that's a lamp at the front for night shooting or is it a sensor?

My worry is if it ever shuts to public? me living in sussex its the only long range close enough (I don't count lyid and hythe)

Oh well never mind

I am a member of Dorking rifle club , we have an outdoor range with 100 , 200 , 300 500 and 600 yd firing points and electronic targets. There is a new club house being built this year and a variety of competitions .

The down side is they only shoot every other sunday and the distance is set according to the competition being shot. that said if you don't want to be in the competition you can shoot what you like as long as it is at the distance on the day.

A known zero is required as the sensors are expensive if shot out and it holds everyone up if someone wants to zero . there are zero and practice days throughout the year. I'm not sure if they are taking new members at the moment but at £40 a year with no range fees it may be worth looking at.

http://dorkingrifleclub.com/

probably closer than Bisley

That's the ones! So much more fun to shoot at than paper targets.Even if they didn't cost the earth, I wouldn't fancy carrying it across the river at my shoot or hard wiring it in! I take it that's a lamp at the front for night shooting or is it a sensor?

This is the new type 'sarts' system. The lamp you see is the 'Tim' that can be set within 7 levels of illumination, or for a 'burst' effect when the target comes up, ideal for night shoots as it kinda simulates the 'enemy' firing at you. There is also a 'thermal' pad to heat the target for use with thermal imaging. What isn't fitted yet on this one, is the 'lomar' bar, 6 microphones that can triangulate the sonic crack to pinpoint the shot to within 3mm.

This unit weighs 22kg, so a lot less than the old style at 47kg, that requires hard wiring to 240v and 24v.

This one can have a battery pack fitted and remotely operated up to 5k. All controlled by a 'tablet' from the firing point. Similair to a 'sapu' target already in use, but more refined.

As for 'fun' ?

You betcha ;)

SARTS

Seldom Actually Records The Shots

I'm glad that got your attention BTW, it's not been decided what type will be purchased, my preference will be for a simple knock down type with AMS capability.

A few years ago we were loaned a system by SAAB that we used for a winters season of CSR ETR matches on Stickledown (bet you didn't know that!)

And while it was a clever and fun system, it was also somewhat complicated.

Planning is for the range to be built to the left of Stickledown, either behind Melville, or alongside.

There will also be 6 (I think) bays built for practical shotgun etc.

Definitely moving forward

The old guard have had their day

Oh well never mind

I am a member of Dorking rifle club , we have an outdoor range with 100 , 200 , 300 500 and 600 yd firing points and electronic targets. There is a new club house being built this year and a variety of competitions .

The down side is they only shoot every other sunday and the distance is set according to the competition being shot. that said if you don't want to be in the competition you can shoot what you like as long as it is at the distance on the day.

A known zero is required as the sensors are expensive if shot out and it holds everyone up if someone wants to zero . there are zero and practice days throughout the year. I'm not sure if they are taking new members at the moment but at £40 a year with no range fees it may be worth looking at.

http://dorkingrifleclub.com/

probably closer than Bisley

Thanks for that 6.5 will look into it

Regards v

As long as the PSG bays are out of the way and don't encroach on any existing rifle facilities that's fine by me. PSGers are a funny lot and realy only need a skanky old field to be happy blasting away at 10 to 20 yards.

They don't even need that much, all they need is someones back yard and they can bicker till the cows come home

I've never had a problem booking! I think that it's a good thing the cnc are paying shed loads of mong to the NRA hopefully we will reap the benefits! And as bradders says 1,2&300 is still available!

And so is 4,5,6,8,9,10,11 and 12 & 13 if you ask nicely :)

Archived