S & B PM11 Query!

mildot

Im looking at getting a S&B PM11 12-50x56, However I notice that they are quite abit cheaper than the 5-25x56 versions? why is that? Surely they have the same glass so at the same mag they will be identical? or am I missing something????????

Are you looking for that specification specifically because it makes the least sense to many people and the price will be lower?

Not taking the piss - serious question.

It certainly is as I hate 1st focal plane. and I prefer moa to milrads...

why does it make the least sense? same as i prefer moa and lots of mag.

Having the knobs not match the ret by dint of MOA/MIL difference and/or having the ret graduations true at only one point in the mag range renders the ret graduations much more difficult to use to adjust, measure with etc (arguably to the point of doing more harm than good). If you're just using the middle of the ret, either focal plane arrangement and any ret will do though. I imagine the only reason he specified P4F is because it's thin in the middle.

Having the knobs not match the ret by dint of MOA/MIL difference and/or having the ret graduations true at only one point in the mag range renders the ret graduations much more difficult to use to adjust, measure with etc (arguably to the point of doing more harm than good). If you're just using the middle of the ret, either focal plane arrangement and any ret will do though. I imagine the only reason he specified P4F is because it's thin in the middle.

ok i get it ,i supposed it is what your used to.my pm11 has mildot but i never use them as i dial in.what is the advantage of holding off ? speed.i can see how it might be more precise with wind call.

It's not just for holding off. Being able to measure between POA and POI and dial it straight on is the real advantage.

The precise reason im after it!

However in most cases I know what my dials are but if shooting at an unknown distance I can measure the miss and dial in the correction straight away! (least shots) This helped me out no end at Tiff's shoot.....

The precise reason im after it!

However in most cases I know what my dials are but if shooting at an unknown distance I can measure the miss and dial in the correction straight away! (least shots) This helped me out no end at Tiff's shoot.....

So you're saying the good thing about a MIL ret and MOA knobs on a SFP scope is the ability to measure the miss and dial without any maths? :huh:

So you're saying the good thing about a MIL ret and MOA knobs on a SFP scope is the ability to measure the miss and dial without any maths? :huh:

No the reason for a moa ret and moa dials! otherwise youd miss again if it was mil ret with moa dials..... :P

We must have been talking at cross purposes. Just for the avoidance of doubt though, you do realise the P4F is a MIL ret.

I can't remember if S&B do a MOA ret but if they do it's not popular. The best known MOA/MOA scope is a Nightforce with an NPR2. Probably USOptics behind that.

Im looking at getting a S&B PM11 12-50x56, However I notice that they are quite abit cheaper than the 5-25x56 versions? why is that? Surely they have the same glass so at the same mag they will be identical? or am I missing something????????

Hi, I know its not a PMII but there is a Night force 12-42 NP-R2 on eBay. Its been on there for a couple of weeks and no bidders.£1000 starting bid.

It might be worth a look ;-)

Regards Phil

We must have been talking at cross purposes. Just for the avoidance of doubt though, you do realise the P4F is a MIL ret.

I can't remember if S&B do a MOA ret but if they do it's not popular. The best known MOA/MOA scope is a Nightforce with an NPR2. Probably USOptics behind that.

I was assuming that if you get the 1/4moa adjust dials that would then be moa ret at a specified mag!?!?!?!?!?!? I must be assuming wrong!

Hi, I know its not a PMII but there is a Night force 12-42 NP-R2 on eBay. Its been on there for a couple of weeks and no bidders.£1000 starting bid.

It might be worth a look ;-)

Regards Phil

ive seen it on there and I guess at the right price it could be worth a punt!

What does the 2fp 12-50 'mil' at? I used to have one and cant remember if it mils at 25 or 50x. If it mils at 25x you could always call each mil 2 moa at approx 48 is x mag but you would need to calculate it. Its a pain but can be done.............

Where i care i use it on my mil mil FFP scopes easily but have a 2fp 5-25 pm 2 as well which mils at 25 so if memory serves each mil is 4 moa at about 20.5x mag.

Like i said, i use ffp where i care about matching tirrets and reticle but have a variety of scopes and tend to mark the zoom ring on my 2fp's so i can speed up zeroing estimates but never aim of with them.

Archived