A nice bit of land

Hi all, I'm becoming the new prolific poster, just a couple or three pics of one of my permissions, it's two farms co-joining, approx three miles in length, I can easily get to 1500 yards, more in some positions, but it is a little dangerous without "sentries" as it leaves a lot of the ground obscured, ramblers as well as groups of people orienteering, have turned up sometimes. There is a wind farm on top of the hill, I can view them from my back bedroom window and can make a judgement call weather to go or not. I have had the permission for several years and have been only four or five times when there is no wind, but have had a 38 mph one, needless to say, I went back home! I laughingly joke that I have shot more dry stone walls than anyone whilst practicing, but I have resorted to carrying on the quad, a spray can of matt black paint to "hide the evidence", although the Christmas box of 200 bottles of Budweiser go a long way in securing the permission for the future,

Regards,

Mark

Can't seem to attach pics, I've used photo bucket, but it says file too large?

post-10089-0-49152500-1390934731_thumb.jpg

post-10089-0-75694000-1390934741_thumb.jpg

post-10089-0-06091500-1390934751_thumb.jpg

Sorry I should have said, it houses a disused well, behind me is a disused and quite derelict huge farm house, I did stop going to this area for around three months due to at least a hundred film crew filming a series of Jamaica Inn, based in the 17th century, and with several "stars" involved. It is based on a true story of an inn on Bodmin moor, very desolate, involving smugglers who used the inn to store and get rid of their ill gotten gains. If you google Jamaica Inn, you'll see the "stars" involved. Just as an aside, the way they have left the whole place is utterly disgracefull, massive damage to all the surrounding fields, huge trenches where vehicles must have got stuck, and it's totally unrecognisable from what it used to be, they have also demolished my shooting table and covered it with a piece of roughly cut mild steel chequer plate,

Best Regards,

Mark

This posting of pics malarkey is becoming a bit of a nightmare, I'm having to re-size, then re-send the pics back to myself, to then re-use in a smaller format! Life just gets better! Anyhow, the Dtac in the pic was wearing a 26" barrel, now it's been chopped to 19", hopefully you will see the pics, otherwise I'm going to email them to each and every one of you personally via private messaging,

An Exasperated Best Regards,

Mark

post-10089-0-07985400-1390937747_thumb.jpg

I've heard good things! A guy on here had his remmy 700 .223 re-barrelled and chambered in 6.5 x 47. I have the same rifle and would consider the change. I have a feeling the fiery hoops I'd have to jump through for the police would be too much... I put a variation in for .243 and was denied! :-(

Sorry I should have said, it houses a disused well, behind me is a disused and quite derelict huge farm house, I did stop going to this area for around three months due to at least a hundred film crew filming a series of Jamaica Inn, based in the 17th century, and with several "stars" involved. It is based on a true story of an inn on Bodmin moor, very desolate, involving smugglers who used the inn to store and get rid of their ill gotten gains.

Looks like a great spot, with lots of potential. Im sure a few locals on here would help out with a rotating sentry duty, in return for a chance to reach way out with the rifles. Do you use many steel gongs, in addition to the rocky features?

As an aside, my RRC shoots are not a million miles away from Jamaica Inn - strange how things pan out....

Hi tiff, I have taken some members from here up to the farm, all have enjoyed the shooting, but not the wind as it gets quite severe, it doesn't seem to get much easier to shoot in switching winds,(my belief), when they are between 5 to 25 mph and constantly from a different direction, makes every shot seem like it's the first of a learning curve, but it makes you smile when you connect at a good distance. The last time I took some friends up, one of the best shots I have ever witnessed, struggled, but finally hit a ballon at about his fourth attempt at 750yds with his 30-06 ackley, when we went up to where the ballon was, the wind was completely different to what it was where we were, I now put up wind flags all over the place to see the difference as the wind turbines are very slow to react to a change in direction,

Best Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark I was in Kirby Lonsdale when they where filming Jamaica Inn I was struggling to recognize Kirby Lonsdale they had change the village that much but it was very intresting watching how they did things. Looks like a lovely place you have up there if you need any volunteers to give you a hand PM me

Hi Gunnery, it was hard to recognise the old farm house, from the sides it was just a great deal of scaffolding, but from the front where the filming was done it was unbelievable, just like an old inn on the moors, I'm wishing now I had gone more often, but I don't think they would have been happy filming in what was supposed to be the 17th century, and heard me approaching on my v-twined quad, cheers, Mark

I know when they where filming there where more security men than actors but it was great to watch it was out of this world what they did to the village I wonder why Lonsdale when it is all about cornwall you would think they would find somewhere nearer to cornwall all the best if you do need a hand just PM Thanks

This posting of pics malarkey is becoming a bit of a nightmare, I'm having to re-size, then re-send the pics back to myself, to then re-use in a smaller format! Life just gets better! Anyhow, the Dtac in the pic was wearing a 26" barrel, now it's been chopped to 19", hopefully you will see the pics, otherwise I'm going to email them to each and every one of you personally via private messaging,

An Exasperated Best Regards,

Mark

nice stick mark, mite be havin one myself , if im a good lad

Archived