My First Jaunt Into Long Range Plinking!

I should start by saying that I use the term “Long Range” loosely… I suppose that Mid Range would better describe the distance that I’m shooting! But lets be fair… That doesn’t sound nearly as cool!

I’m using a Remington 700 Police, Heavy 26” barrel with a 1:9 twist in .223. It has a Wildcat Predator suppressor, (Choked to .308?) and a Nikko Nighteater, 8 x 56.

1016398_10153760698095397_2045641272_n.j

The ammunition I’m currently using it 55 gr full metal jacket… I would like to try something a bit heavier next time.

For now, I zeroed to 100 yrds. (Keeps the math simple!) Once happy and the turrets were locked down, I moved to shoot 300 yrds. I’ve been happily shooting 300 yrds with my .17 HMR, so I knew this wasn’t going to be much trouble!

I set out my target, a 12” x 10” steel plate, hung so it made a nice gong sound…

Then, I moved to 500 yrds…

1609634_10153787301130397_288676805_n.jp

Back again to 691 yrds…

1512461_10153787301120397_1042254601_n.j

So far I’ve been absolutely thrilled with the results, but I couldn’t leave it at that… So I moved back one more time to 730 yrds…

68388_10153787301115397_421465323_n.jpg

I had a great day, and I’m looking forward to doing it again… Maybe even pushing it back a bit further?

The only thing I’m going to do for the time being is upgrade my scope… Need a bit more power for the distance!

If anyone else has any helpful tips that doesn’t cost the earth, then I’d love to hear them!

Cheers, Jay.

If you haven't already, get a rear bag (you've just missed out on the THLR bulk order). I also zero at 100, that way every adjustment is the same direction

Would you advise a rear bag over a Mono pod?

I have both and the rear bag I find better and more stable. If your looking for a scope I've just got a Vortex Viper 8-24x50 and love it on my .223.

Looks like a nice place to shoot.

I have both and the rear bag I find better and more stable. If your looking for a scope I've just got a Vortex Viper 8-24x50 and love it on my .223.

Looks like a nice place to shoot.

I have a feeling the price might smart a bit! (Although, you get what you pay for!)

It's a great place to shoot... I've got a 1000yrd shot lined up, but I don't think I'll be able to make it! (Not without some serious modification and some home loads!)

Can you believe they won't let me have a .308 up there... I wasn't even allowed a .243! :-(

Would you advise a rear bag over a Mono pod?

Fun,isn't it-any wind,and you won't get 100% hits with light 223 ..1 moa at 200y is one thing,but 700+ in wind is a different ball game...

Try some heavier match bullets,within your 1/9 twist weight.

With a Harris bipod,a monopod may be fine-it depends a bit on your shooting style-really it's try and see-bench rest type rear bag is more stable,given a good front rest that the rifle can move back on-but 223 /mod recoil will be small...try a home made bag first-small sand bag will do-old sock is the economy model-just more weight to carry of course....I have used rice/polystyrene bead mix....

Scopemag-again,it's personal preference,up to 25x is easily useable,and more if target is small,like 5 inches at 750.

Gbal

Not trying to be clever here, but from the photos the backstop doesn't look exactly safe does it? How sure are you that a member of the public is not walking their dog in the trees behind your target?

Very sure... I wouldn't shoot it if I wasn't! :-)

Fun,isn't it-any wind,and you won't get 100% hits with light 223 ..1 moa at 200y is one thing,but 700+ in wind is a different ball game...

Try some heavier match bullets,within your 1/9 twist weight.

With a Harris bipod,a monopod may be fine-it depends a bit on your shooting style-really it's try and see-bench rest type rear bag is more stable,given a good front rest that the rifle can move back on-but 223 /mod recoil will be small...try a home made bag first-small sand bag will do-old sock is the economy model-just more weight to carry of course....I have used rice/polystyrene bead mix....

Scopemag-again,it's personal preference,up to 25x is easily useable,and more if target is small,like 5 inches at 750.

Gbal

I Love it.... I'm in my element!

I will try a home made bag, that's a great idea!

Thanks

I have a feeling the price might smart a bit! (Although, you get what you pay for!)

It's a great place to shoot... I've got a 1000yrd shot lined up, but I don't think I'll be able to make it! (Not without some serious modification and some home loads!)

Can you believe they won't let me have a .308 up there... I wasn't even allowed a .243! :-(

Vortex vipers are about £650 so not over the top

Sounds like you're having a great time and learning about long range shooting. A fast twist .223 is an excellent starting place and out of the calibres I own its the one I probably shoot the most. A couple of tips to help you - with that 1:9 twist barrel start reloading and move to 69gr SMK bullets, you'll extend your range and they'll be more accurate than 55gr FMJ's. A rear back bag as already mentioned is a must - sand is ok but if you can get polymer beads then all the better. Read up on body position and long range shooting techniques - with the height of that scope and no cheek rest I bet your head is only just touching the stock! Build up the cheek weld with old mouse mats and a tactical stock pack (like the one from AIM) so you can rest your head on the cheek piece fully and see through the scope without any shadowing. Don't skimp on the optics but you also don't need to spend the earth.

Like gbal says, you're really pushing the ballistics with 55gn 223 at over 700 yards. (in fact, you strain the ballistic enevelope at 600 yards - I can remember happy shoots at Strensall years back with 52/53gn match bullet 223 Rem handloads where I learned a great deal about wind-reading. Any moderate change on the flags that didn't have substantial correction applied would put the shot way off to one side of the black, or worse, at this distance.)

I can only assume it was windless or nearly so when you had your shoot otherwise you'd have spent a lot of time looking for bullet splashes off the target.

You'd really benefit from an ammo upgrade, to at least 69/70gn. Some 1-9 inch twist barrels will stabilise the 75gn Hornady A-Max too. If yours does, use that with as high an MV as you can that still groups well with the bullet seated out to be either just off the lands or marginally in them, single-loading what are almost certainly going to be over-length rounds.

PS that looks a very nice river valley. There were several spots that looked very similar I can remember from my youth (a year or two back!) as a keen trout fisherman growing up in Perthshire.

Thanks Jagged 77 & Laurie for some great advise!

I also have memories from the Ranges at Strensall! (Most of them to do with rain and 'Range Stew')

We purposely moved that day so that the wind was coming from behind us, its cheating a little bit but safer than the rounds heading a long way left/right of the target!

I hope that either of you don't mind, but maybe in the future I might be able to PM you if I need some advice and or assistance?

Many thanks!

Jay

Good shooting with a 55 gr bullet ;)

Rear bag would help for sure, obviously a range finder I'm guessing you have, plus something to tell you wind speed.

Have a look at sightron for the price I no a few lads using them at serious range and very pleased.

Looks a cracking place to shoot by the way. ;)

Thanks Gaz & Sako.

Yeah I have a range finder, but a wind metre would be another great tool to help me! I will look into those Sightrons! Cheers.

It's an absolutely great place to shoot! I do enjoy the challenge of some range.... I'm trying to keep a log of the M.O.A's/distance/angles all that jazz, so maybe in time I can concentrate on the windage a bit more! :-)

Not trying to be clever here, but from the photos the backstop doesn't look exactly safe does it? How sure are you that a member of the public is not walking their dog in the trees behind your target?

How do you know he doesn't have sentries out, may want to PM him next time on that matter! I'm not trying to be clever either. ;)

Hi jay, glad your having some fun. where did you get your rifle? as I have a very sneaky feeling its my old rifle and moderator combination, I remember it liked rem my accutips in 55gr, consistently a couple of inches at 300m. I also tried some 77gr TAP which also grouped OK, It didn't like winchester werewolf's (sorry Silver Tips!).

Archived